ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 08-13-2006
Probationary Trainee

Bear
Default Pitbull VS Owner

i would like to hear from others on: The idea of pitbulls being banded or should there be stricter laws on pitbull owners?
Old 08-14-2006
Kennel Commander

thexplodingirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to thexplodingirl

pit bulls should not be banned.
they should have stricter rules on the owner:
1. spay/neuter
2. mandatory training

other ideas?

This of course invokes the arguement: who determines if it is a pit bull or not? There is no dna test that I know of that tells you indefinetely what kind of dog you have.
Some think Charlotte is part pit bull.
Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog is lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your butt out there and you find that dog.
Old 08-14-2006
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thexplodingirl
1. spay/neuter
2. mandatory training
Interesting ideas. I can understand the mandatory training for owners. That makes very good sense. Even some basic breed education to prepare them for the type of dog would be helpful (this doesn't even have to be pitbull's only).

As for spaying or neutering the owners, I think thats a little bit harsh. Now, if you are trying to prevent the dogs from entering a family with children, I could see your point but don't you think simply making that part of the adoption procedure (i.e. asking if the have children in the home OR not adopting to anyone with or planning to have kids) would be a better way to address this. I know that California has some truly progressive legislation (although some of us are still trying to get it translated into English) but your jurisdiction must be really severe when it comes to these dogs if they pass breed"ing" specific laws....

Old 08-14-2006
Provisional Posting ACO

acowimpy

Breed banning is stuipid!!
Owners need to take responsibility for there animals.

If you make a dog mean or just allow it to act aggressive it's your fault and when that dog does attack a human or an animal it's your fault.

To many people use the excuse that Fido is "just being a dog" they don't want to be bothered with what Fido is doing

They all seem to think that thier dog is an angel and wouldn't do anything to bother people.

As for pits they are used as a status symble around here and if more of the laws were geared toward the responsibility of the owners we could better control the situations that get these poor dogs in so much trouble (MHO)

Personaly I love Bully dogs
Old 08-14-2006
Field Operative

Connecticut AACO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Connecticut AACO Send a message via Yahoo to Connecticut AACO

Any dog can be vicious, it's all in the way the dog was brought up. Banning certain breeds is stupid, it just makes the stupid people move on to a different breed, and start messing them up to, by the end every breed of dog will be banned. What needs to be done is heavier fines for dog owners, and some sort of training for new dog owners.
Old 08-14-2006
Giga-posting ACO

ksbirdhse is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ksbirdhse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kumpf
Quote:
1. spay/neuter
2. mandatory training
Interesting ideas.....As for spaying or neutering the owners, I think thats a little bit harsh. Now, if you are trying to prevent the dogs from entering a family with children, I could see your point but don't you think simply making that part of the adoption procedure (i.e. asking if the have children in the home OR not adopting to anyone with or planning to have kids) would be a better way to address this. I know that California has some truly progressive legislation (although some of us are still trying to get it translated into English) but your jurisdiction must be really severe when it comes to these dogs if they pass breed"ing" specific laws....

Hmmm. I'll have to check with our adoption desk. I dont know if spaying and neutering of potentional owners is required yet, altho Lord knows in the case of some adoptors, it should be. It would certainly be something I would vote for. That and maybe mandatory hygenie enforcement. I know the animals would appreciate it.

~K
Old 08-14-2006
Shelter Survivor

UNDRTKR is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to UNDRTKR

I hate breed bans. They are unfair and ineffective. Ban a pit, and they'll go get a Rottweiler, and soon the same thing will happen.
Train the dog, and take some responsibility, and you will not have problems with pit bulls. It's amazing how many coworkers of mine own anywhere from 1-3 pit bulls in their homes, and NOT ONE OF THEM has ever had problems with their dogs, why? BECAUSE THEY ARE OBEDIANT AND SOCIALIZED. AND THEY DONT RUN LOOSE. Love Em' License Em' Leash Em'... Problem solved. My 2 cents
Old 08-15-2006
Giga-posting ACO

ACO2642 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ACO2642 Send a message via Yahoo to ACO2642

Quote:
Quote:
1. spay/neuter
2. mandatory training
Interesting ideas. I can understand the mandatory training for owners. That makes very good sense. Even some basic breed education to prepare them for the type of dog would be helpful (this doesn't even have to be pitbull's only).

Why stop with dog owners ? (While it is sad that there are irresponsible dog owners out there, and it's usually someone else that suffers the consequences of their negligence.)
What about all the cruelty and neglect involving children. We don't require a person to have any training to have children, do we? How in the hell could you possibly expect to enforce "Mandatory Training" for a dog owner?
Be realistic people, this issue is never going to go away. People will always do stupid things, you cannot change that. The only thing we can do is try to educate people about possible liabilities they could face by owning ANY dog !

Light travels faster than sound,
which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese!
Old 08-16-2006
Kennel Commander

thexplodingirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to thexplodingirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO2642
Quote:
Quote:
1. spay/neuter
2. mandatory training

Why stop with dog owners ? (While it is sad that there are irresponsible dog owners out there, and it's usually someone else that suffers the consequences of their negligence.)
What about all the cruelty and neglect involving children. We don't require a person to have any training to have children, do we? How in the hell could you possibly expect to enforce "Mandatory Training" for a dog owner?
Be realistic people, this issue is never going to go away. People will always do stupid things, you cannot change that. The only thing we can do is try to educate people about possible liabilities they could face by owning ANY dog !
who can I contact about mandatory training for parents?

It's the cosmic joke that some people (like me and my hubby and our little group of friends) who actually would be really good parents and have some relatively good genes to pass on... don't want kids.
I'm not against all kids, just most of them. It all comes to the parents and their ability to raise them correctly.
Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog is lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your butt out there and you find that dog.
Old 08-16-2006
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

LiHammy is an unknown quantity at this point

If it weren’t pitbulls it would be another dog breed that we would be having this conversation about. When people come into my shelter I tell all the staff members that people are MORONS! It is our job to educate them and make sure they are getting an animal for the right reasons. Working in a small non-profit shelter I have that small luxury.
For the most part it takes a dedicated few people, that do not get paid much, to go out into the public and TRY to make a difference. It takes years and these people will get frustrated and burnt out. But ten years from now these same people will be able to take a step back and see the progress they have made. Slow and painful, change will come. Mistakes will be made. Victories will be small. The dedicated few will make the difference. These dedicated few are you, My fellow members of ACOfunstop. In ten years what breeds will we be trying to protect from the hysteria of the media or the ignorance of the public. Keep up the good work my friend s at ACOfunstop. Change will come.
And Spaying and neutering dumb people that abuse animals, I would sign that bill!