ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 05-11-2009
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

Learning To Fly is on a distinguished road

I can totally understand that...I forget that not everyone works in a small town with a small shelter and small rehab and there could potentially be many people wanting to have a quick look at the newcomer! Many people do seem to think either: A. they are the only ones who want to see/photograph whatever interesting thing has come up; or B. they are exempt from any rules preventing an overabundance of A.

Thanks for reminding this small-town kid that there is a bigger world out there!

ďNot to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission - to be of service to them whenever they require it.Ē
St Francis of Assisi

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Old 05-11-2009
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Oh, that small town thing sounds pretty good to me ... fewer idiots per square mile. Heaven!

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 05-11-2009
Field Operative

ACO in Greenville,TX is an unknown quantity at this point

No, no, no, Winnie, that just means there is a higher concentration of idiots per square mile.

You see in a larger environment the idiots are more spread out territorial wise. They don't seem to congregate in large numbers because there is plenty of habitat for them and they are better able to hide and blend in with the normal population thusly only showing their idiocy when cornered or threatened.

In a small town they band together for protection and the alpha idiot is able to hive mind their opinions to the others. The worker bee idiots then spread that idiocy throughout the small environment. Should a normal move into their territory they are quickly overcome and lobotomized.
Old 05-11-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

My first city was 10 sq mi and a population of 30K, hardly a metropolis, and my current city is 3.5 sq mi and a population of 8K. The contrast between the two is quite dramatic. The big (?) city had a younger populous, was very politically inactive, and the crowd at the council meetings consisted of the council and anybody who had business before the council.

The little city is mostly retirees (and dopers, different story for a different time), very politically active and the council meetings are a major spectator sport. Itís sort of funny to watch because the left side of the room is full of people who line up to oppose ANYTHING that is proposed before the council. One of our council members referred to them as CAVE people, Citizens Against Almost Everything.

It is my feeling that the apathy is much greater in the large cities than the smaller ones, and the people that would make a biting snake look for water to wash the moron taste out of itís mouth all seem to congregate in the smaller towns.
Old 05-11-2009
Almighty ACO

SixbyFire is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning To Fly View Post
Stupid question maybe, but I am curious...why do they ban photography of the wildlife?
Like Winnie said stress is part of it, but a larger part is Fish and Game regulations. Since we have permits to capture, euthanize or rehab, and release wildlife, we have to abide by the restrictions in said permits. Part of that is not allowing public distribution of photographs taken of wildlife, except in special cases and with special permission.

We can and do take pictures of wildlife in all sorts of various situations, but we just can't share them, well, at least not with the "outside" world.

Jeff
Old 05-12-2009
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO in Greenville,TX View Post
No, no, no, Winnie, that just means there is a higher concentration of idiots per square mile.

You see in a larger environment the idiots are more spread out territorial wise. They don't seem to congregate in large numbers because there is plenty of habitat for them and they are better able to hide and blend in with the normal population thusly only showing their idiocy when cornered or threatened.

In a small town they band together for protection and the alpha idiot is able to hive mind their opinions to the others. The worker bee idiots then spread that idiocy throughout the small environment. Should a normal move into their territory they are quickly overcome and lobotomized.

Well, I duhno, sounds a lot like the average large-town shelter staff situation to me. But I guess it would be worse if the pharmacist and the guy you buy your beer from was part of the hive mind, too!

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)