ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 04-26-2009
Kennel Commander

AC626 is on a distinguished road
Default Could I have done better?

So about 2 weeks ago I wrote my first animal control cite. The call was reported that a woman had been leaving food out for wild animals. We responded and there was a large amount of cat food clearly visible in the yard. We contacted the woman and her husband. She came clean right off the bat and said she did feed wild life. So the animal control officer had responded to that location several times before with no cites issued, only verbal warnings. By this time he is pretty much tired of giving warnings and ready to issue a cite.

So he asks her for her ID and she complied with him and handed it over. So we walked across the street to our unit where he showed me how to fill the cite out and how to find the muni code violation. While he was showing me the woman became irate across the street and threatened to have us arrested for "theft of her id" So I'm trying to listen to the ACO, and not screw up on the cite, and I have a woman yelling that "Don't you have better things to do than write me a ticket"

So the ACO makes sure that I filed the cite correctly and gets ready to sign it so we leave the unit and return to the woman's yard to find that she has locked the gate and we can not get her to sign the cite. The ACO threatens that he will have to arrest her if she doesn't not sign our ticket.

She comes back out to tell him that he is not a police officer and can't arrest her. So we tell the husband she will be arrested if she does not sign the cite, he is trying to persuade her to sign it and she is refusing, finally she comes out of the gate, and while the ACO is trying to explain the cite to her she is making cracks at both of us. "You're not a police officer" and, she told me "You're too short to be an animal control" The ACo explained I am a civilian volunteer and she attacked saying "Oh so now you are stealing children from their mamas so they can do your work?" So as the ACO tried to explain the cite she kept going on and on how Jesus was going to strike us down and Jesus would be before her in court.

Finally when it came time for her to sign the cite she came forward quickly at the ACO like she was going to charge him, I stepped away and placed my hand on my radio, if the worst would happen, as the ACO, reached for his taser, she then grabbed the pen and signed the citation as "Jesus" It just so happened at that time Dispatch called our unit to advise on the status, the ACO told them to have patrol unit ready because we may need assistance with the woman. She got paranoid when he started talking to Dispatch because she thought he called a patrol unit.

When her husband told her the ACO had to cite her she insisted he "go marry him then" She then told us that we were probably more wild than the animals are, we bid her a Happy Easter, and were on our way.

Sorry for the long rant, but is there any way I could have handled myself or the situation better?
Old 04-26-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Your actions were just fine. In that circumstance, your job is to be a witness, and let the ACO be in harmís way. Iím quite sure the ACO knows when to back off and call for help, especially when it is something as trivial as feeding strays/wildlife.

One point of clarification please. If not signing the cit is an arrestable offence in you area, then surely signing a false name is the same violation. Why did you not get PD out for that?

One city I worked for said that signing is only a promise to appear, and not signing was not an arrestable offense. We were supposed write ďrefusedĒ on the line, and they would simply kick up the fine a bit. I think my current city will arrest for refusing to sign, but I donít know that for a fact, or what the exact charge would be.
Old 04-26-2009
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Yeah, what he said, especially about the your job as a witness. Breathe and watch. You did great! Congratters on NOT chanting, "Lady, you are nutsy-kookoo-in-the-brainbox!" That would have been unprofessional, however deserved ...

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 04-26-2009
Kennel Commander

I thought signing a false name could be arrestable for providing false info. but the ACO told me other wise. We did laugh ourselves to death in the unit once we left. I think me laughed about that incident for the rest of the week. On a side note that woman was roughly 75 years old.
Old 04-26-2009
Giga-posting ACO

I would say that there is no fool like an old fool, but that hits just a little too close to home.
Old 04-26-2009
Almighty ACO

NBPD336 is on a distinguished road

Like the others have said, I think you handled yourself just fine. You let the ACO do the job, were an excellent witness, and learned from what happened. Good work.

You will not rise to the occasion, you will sink to the level of your training.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~ Mark Twain
Old 04-27-2009
Kennel Commander

BernCo_Geo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
I would say that there is no fool like an old fool, but that hits just a little too close to home.
lol come on GTO. long as you didnt walk to school with the dinosaurs im sure ur still young. Remember your only as old as you want to be. :P

AC626 u did just fine. It can be tough some times. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-27-2009
Kennel Commander

thanks, I thought I did okay, I just wanted to review how I acted, I had the urge to laugh at some of the stuff that woman was saying but i bit my tongue to remain professional. As soon as we took off we started busting up in the unit impersonating the woman and reviewing all the crazy things she had said. I think I hurt my ribs from laughing so much.
Old 04-28-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernCo_Geo View Post
lol come on GTO. long as you didnt walk to school with the dinosaurs im sure ur still young. Remember your only as old as you want to be. :P
Thanks, but I still think the world was a better place before hills and dirt.
Old 04-28-2009
Almighty ACO

ChicagoACOSupervisor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoACOSupervisor Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoACOSupervisor

As a supervisor, my thoughts are that you did exactly what you should of done. You acted professionally and in the scope of the law.

This woman was obviously a little goofy......