ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 02-08-2012
Forum Friend

HARTinTN is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HARTinTN Send a message via Yahoo to HARTinTN
Default Darting and state laws

The shelter in the neighboring county to us has been poorly run for a very long time. The Director is currently under state investigation for abuse and many, many hundreds of counts of illegally killing pets. One of the things he brought up during his county meeting in which they did determine to terminate him, was that the new 2012 state law for TN made it nearly impossible for an ACO to dart a pet at large. According to him:

To dart a pet, you must have a veterinarian physically with you. The medication for the dart must be kept locked in a locked box that's attached to the vehicle. If the animal is darted, the vet must ride with the darted animal and it must go to a vet clinic for observation.

There were a few other criteria he mentioned that I can't remember but those were the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Our trucks have the dog boxes on the back. We certainly can't stuff a vet in there with a potentially aggressive dog. Especially since our vet isn't a midget.

I'm reading through an e-mail on the darting rules now that was sent to me by the neighboring ACO Director. It's not the law, just an 'opinion' piece from UTK. So I'm wondering, since no one can seem to find the 2012 law here, what the laws are in your state or if anyone can find the 2012 TN law pertaining to darting?
Old 02-08-2012
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Ain’t got one. Our only restrictions are departmental policies, and of course, officer judgment. Many moons ago Ft. Worth had a G Shep living in the median of a major highway. The dog had become a media target and they named her Island Girl. They had made numerous attempts to catch it, to no avail, and people kept tripping the traps they had set. The decision was finally made to dart her. The dart struck her in the spine and paralyzed her hind quarters, which of course made MAJOR headlines, so people are very conservative on writing their policies.
Old 02-09-2012
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
Ain’t got one. Our only restrictions are departmental policies, and of course, officer judgment. .

Yup - same here. Officers simply need to be certified and then we have dept. procedures set in place.....

We dart alot of dogs in my AO. I do a sweep a week with my officers and usually we will end up darting a dog or two during that sweep and that doesn't include all the dogs during the regular calls.

40K calls a year and thousands of stray dogs wandering the streets = alot of traps and darts!
Old 02-09-2012
Giga-posting ACO

aco30l13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to aco30l13

California just had an Attorney General opinion that states that ACO's are not allowed to carry or administer controlled substances in the field without the contemperanous(sp) advice of a vet. The definition is up in the air as some say that a vet signing the drugsd out to an ACO is a prescription while others say that the vet has to be consulted every time while others say the vet has to be present. So it depends on how the opinion is interpreted as to what you can do. It all comes down to how the law is interpreted.
-American Indian Proverb

After dark all cats are leopards.
-American Indian Proverb,
Old 02-09-2012
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
The decision was finally made to dart her. The dart struck her in the spine and paralyzed her hind quarters, which of course made MAJOR headlines, so people are very conservative on writing their policies.
Back before the drug was so restricted, the yahoo before me ended up doing things like darting a dog in the testicles, another actually IN the anus, and yet another punched thru a dog because he used a .22 charge that was too high...
Old 02-09-2012
Giga-posting ACO

My dart guns have all been CO2 or pump up. So over penetration has never been a concern for me. However, I have nearly missed a couple of times. I hit a cat once in the tail and a male dog in the penis, but the majority have been good hip shots. I haven’t darted anything in 3 years, and it was probably 3 years between the last one and the one before that.
Old 02-09-2012
Forum Friend

HARTinTN is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HARTinTN Send a message via Yahoo to HARTinTN

It looks like for us we're just not darting because of the law. Which means the dogs at large causing problems that can't be caught any other way get shot. Amazes me. The animal rights nazis pushed for this law because they thought it was cruel. Because they've pushed for it, dogs will now be shot on site if they've tried and failed three times to trap the dog. Way to go folks! *sigh*
Old 02-12-2012
Giga-posting ACO

I have only had 1 dog shot by a police officer. The owners had 2 dogs that didn’t get along so the kept them separated all the time. One was in the bedroom with the brother while the other was outside, and the brother had to go to the restroom, so he and the dog came out. Unbeknownst to him, his sister had let the other dog in and the fight was on. The got the first one back in the bedroom and hen the second turned on the sister. The brother pulled the dog off of her and fought it to the floor and laid down on it while the sister called 911. When PD arrived the sister was in the yard yelling “Shoot my dog! He’s gone crazy!” so the cop did. .357 Sig through the head from about two feet away.

I walk in to collect the body of the dog, and there was blood all over the place from the victims. There was thick, pudding like fluid coming out of the dogs head. Quite disgusting, especially at 2 in the morning.

I have had 3 other dogs shot by individuals. One drunk with a shotgun, and two stopping an attack on their dogs.
Old 02-12-2012
Forum Friend

Lyra is on a distinguished road

Our policy looks to be similar to the majority of you out there. I had to take the certification class, I wrote a fairly strict policy (Im the only ACO for my town who has ever requested tranq.), the drug has to be ordered from the vet, its kept in a locked box (Myself and the police Chief are the only ones with the key), strict logs are kept for DEA for all drug in and out. I am required to notify my on duty sgt. prior to tranqing any dog and a detailed report must follow. I dont have to have vet staff on, but if there is no one in the vet clinic, I am required to stay with the animal until it comes out of it. Now livestock, thats a different story, we are absolutely required to have a large animal vet with us. They must fill the dart with the drug, which then gets administered by me.
Old 02-12-2012
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

Funny thing is that the California...sorry, Commiefornia AJ decision is that she (the AJ) wrote in an exemption for "research". In other words the Fish & Game Biologists are allowed to tranq a bighorn sheep or mountain lion for "research" (like putting a GPS collar on them) but you and I can't tranq a dog for public safety reasons.

This is what you get when you elect democrats.