ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 04-27-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

I got an email about a month ago that said my OT budget is shot for the year, so until October, Iím on comp time. The good news is that we have no cap on comp time or sick leave, although we can only carry over 120 hours of vacation, but we get paid for all of it when we retire. Iíve been eligible to retire since October of 03, but the $1,800 per month of retirement wonít quite pay the bills, so hi ho, hi ho, itís off to work I go.
Old 04-27-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Sunny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunny

So what you are saying that it is just a job. I don't know how anyone can do this job and not have a love for it. In my opinion, it is a job either that you have to love in order to succeed/do it. Otherwise, I belive it shows.

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

You can either be the cure or the disease.
Old 04-27-2009
Almighty ACO

tomahto is an unknown quantity at this point

I probably work an average of one hour off the clock per night, especially during the busy season.

Last edited by tomahto; 04-28-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-27-2009
Field Operative

ACO in Greenville,TX is an unknown quantity at this point

Sunny, I don't know about GTO's city but mine is 20 years to retire, so if he's got his time in to retire then it's obviously not just a job to him.

I don't give any time extra anymore. And yeah, I do love doing this job.

I use to give them all kinds of time. No lunches or eating in the truck on the go, working late, coming in on weekends for free, and other stuff like that. NO MORE. It really sours you on that after 14 years of fighting for more pay for my guys and basically getting told you shouldn't make as much as code enforcement to a secretary. For 12 years we only recieved cost of living raises if we got any type of raise, that means that up until two years ago someone hiring in fresh would make as much as a 12 or 13 year veteran. Then they actually gave us a merit raise, so my veteran officer makes a little more than the rookie. I took care of my veteran staff this year for merit raises, unfortunately I wasn't taken care of.

So now if I work over, I leave early on Friday. I no longer work for free, it's not appreciated and it get's you nothing. There are very few feel good moments for working late or over, they don't pay the bills and most of the free time is given dealing with complainers and rude people. Maybe that sounds jaded and maybe it is a little, but I've earned my jadedness.
Old 04-27-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO in Greenville,TX View Post
Sunny, I don't know about GTO's city but mine is 20 years to retire, so if he's got his time in to retire then it's obviously not just a job to him.
We are 20 and out also. I started in public works and spent about 4 years doing that, and then in 1987 I transferred to animal control. At my first city, we got cost of living and merit, but my current city is merit only. I hired in at top out of the scale, then they adjusted it, and I topped out again, they adjusted again and now Iím topped out again. Iíve been topped out for nearly 2 years, and I donít see any changes in the scale at any point in the future.

Like a lot of guys in animal control, I started planning to use the job as a stepping stone to get into police work. The closer I got to police work, the less I liked it, so here I am nearly 22 years later still doing ACO work. I work through lunch quite often during the busy times, and I stay late quite a bit. In fact, that is what caused me to have the wreck in 06, I was held over till 5:15, and I had to get home then to another obligation by 6, so I was doing something like twice the posted speed limit when I had my wreck.

I like the job OK, but it is not my life. I have a wife, 2 kids and other obligations that share equally to the ACO gig for their portions of my life. In fact, I canít think of any occupation that I would forsake the other aspects of my life for and dedicate my life to.