ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 07-05-2006
Probationary Trainee

hollycat

Hi Kimberleigh,

Well, I agree that you may meet someone special yet.

That having been said, I wish it were often as simple to love people as it is to love animals. True, they frequently outlive us...but the time they spend with us is so very honest and real...very little crap gets in the way. I love how pets are as happy to see you if you have been gone five minutes as five hours. They don't really care what you look like...bad hair days don't matter! If you provide the necessities, including attention and affection, they will often give back all they have to give.

I try to maintain a positive and hopeful stance about people...but I admit that sometimes people suck and I prefer the company of animals...particularly very furry cats....my cat's tummy is always a 'soft place to fall'...though, not literally!

Holly
Old 07-05-2006
Grand Poobah Webgeek
Site Admin

A. Gianotto has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to A. Gianotto

Hehe well.. as they say, "dogs have owners, cats have staff".

R.I.P. Susan Caskey AKA "Critterfuz": April 1970 - Dec 2007.
R.I.P. Keegan Merrick AKA "RichmondACO": July 1977 - Jan 2009.

We miss you.
Old 07-05-2006
Almighty ACO

UCDW880 is on a distinguished road

Its a darned tough career and tough on relationships that's for sure.
I wish it was as easy to read people as it is to read animals. You KNOW when you're gonna get bit by a critter but people are ever so much more confusing in relationships!!
MB
Old 07-05-2006
Field Operative

carrie_cat
Default Crazy v. CRAZY

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Gianotto
LOL I have no choice BUT to take work home with me - so am I destined for hoarderdom?
I know we're all tongue-in-cheek in this thread, but still, I think it's worth seriously pointing out that there IS a difference between "crazy cat persons" and "hoarders." Alison, I don't think that you could ever become a hoarder; I don't think with even a boatload of Dachshunds, that Mark could become a hoarder. To me, a hoarder is seriously deranged, with a total lack of consideration for the welfare of animals -- it's become all about the hoarder him- or herself. Crazy animal people will generally do themSELVES in before they do an animal in, I think.

My two cents, anyway.
Old 07-05-2006
Grand Poobah Webgeek
Site Admin

Hi carrie_cat - while I agree that it is unlikely that Mark or I would become hoarders (you're right, its tongue in cheek) I think that the line is finer than we'd like to think.

I know of several rescuers who at one point were excellent rescuers.

Hoarding is a combination of mental illnesses, and the way the progression often works (at least in my experience) is (and this is assuming that the rescuer was at one point relatively stable):

Person gets involved in rescue. The compassion fatigue and other external stressors lead to depression (or worsens their existing depression)

As a result of the depression, other psychological symptoms manifest or get worse. This usually includes compulsive collection of junk/magazines/etc. This ALSO results (and I think this part is key) in the person deliberately cutting themselves off from the outside world, either because they are initially embarrassed about how their home looks ("Oh, this place is a mess - I can't have people over") or just as a result of the severe depression. As time goes on, and specifically because they have cut themselves off from society, their depression and other issues get worse, as does the garbage buildup, and their overall mental illness progresses, almost a self-fulfilling prophecy. Because there are no people coming over, there is no external input on their home (no friends to step in and say "Jesus... what happened here? This place is a mess") so the situation continues to get worse.

I'm absolutely not defending it - but I think that the downward spiral is easier to fall into than many people imagine. One action refinforces the next step, which reinforces the next step, and so on.

We miss you.
Old 07-05-2006
Grand Poobah Webgeek
Site Admin

Part of this is also related to the issue that so many people in animal welfare/rescue are people who have been abused in their own lives. The need to be a caregiver is a common side-effect of that kind of trauma, and can also lead to people turning to animals instead of people for comfort/fulfillment/etc.

That's not to say that everyone in animal rescue is a survivor of abuse, but it does seem to be a common thread.

We miss you.
Old 07-06-2006
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation
Default Re: Crazy v. CRAZY

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie_cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Gianotto
LOL I have no choice BUT to take work home with me - so am I destined for hoarderdom?
I don't think with even a boatload of Dachshunds, that Mark could become a hoarder. To me, a hoarder is seriously deranged, with a total lack of consideration for the welfare of animals -- it's become all about the hoarder him- or herself. Crazy animal people will generally do themSELVES in before they do an animal in, I think.
Sorry to destroy your faith in me, but after trying to pack for the last several weeks - I AM A HOARDER. Oh its not animals (yet) but I have a serious problem with animal related stuff. TOO MUCH OF IT! I re-read the definition of a hoarder and then omitted the animal reference and substituted my circumstances. I need professional help! And a big BFI dumpster. This move has been a wakeup call. I've chucked a bunch of stuff. Boy will the people at the local library freak when I drop off all the animal welfare magazines in the exchange box....

Seriously deranged? I can line up an entire bevy of witnesses who will testify under oath and without compensation that I am certifiable. Even Alison would (if she was being 100% honest) have to vouch for the fact that the white "I love me" suit crowd has a friend in Mark... Now I consider myself functionally deranged in a good way. I am not your typical off the deep end start chewing on sticks and leaves kinda wacky but I can get out there.

More like the Patrick Stewart in the Safehouse kind where I need to check that I am still with the program.

Aren't we all just little crazy to be in this field? As was mentioned, we deal with emotional overload on a regular basis. Eventually, thy cup runneth over and sanity will do the dribble out the ears thing...

Now to address the them before the critters phase. Sorry - wrong answer there. When the mentally ill person begins to really disconnect from reality and animals are involved, I can show you HOARDS of HOARDERS that make your soul scream at the devastation that they dispense to the helpless animals in their care. They don't do themselves in before the animals although in some cases the animals get the last word (or snack)...

Ok maybe I am not CRAZY or Crazy but more like CraZy... Still a few capital letters short of the pyschological lemming squad. I did ask my daughter the serious question this evening, "Do you think dad's crazy?" She said no. Which was nice. I value her opinion but seeing as she falls real near the tree, it may be a little biased.
Old 07-06-2006
Grand Poobah Webgeek
Site Admin

Default Re: Crazy v. CRAZY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kumpf
Even Alison would (if she was being 100% honest) have to vouch for the fact that the white "I love me" suit crowd has a friend in Mark...

Oh yeah... 'cuz I'm the *touchstone* of judging sanity. HAH! HAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ow. I think I hurt myself.

Mark, do you agree with my perspective on the line between rescue and hoarding? You have VASTLY more hands-on experience than I do with hoarders - my opinion is based solely on my observations of researching over 900 hoarding cases - but nothing compares to being in the muck (literally).

We miss you.
Old 07-06-2006
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

I'd hate to be nail with Alison as the hammer.
Old 07-06-2006
Certified Posting ACO

KeepItWegging is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys you really cheered me up. I just wish I can find someone speical. I don't care if found him in the National Guard or in Animal Control. I thought I'll just be happy with animals as kids, but after my sister had kids my thoughts changed./ I wanted kids and marriage. I even give Adoption a thought,...but, still I would also like my own child. I proubly adopt(Speical needs child) and have my own.. either my natural or A.I. Made the dead line about if I'm not married by 36 years old,...I find a cute one and well you know. But, I thought about that, that be like trinking a guy,..But, I have no plans telling the guy he going be a father and just take care the child myself or I will tell him,.. and let him decided what he wants,..Be there for his kid or not. If he wants to walk ,...fine. There's a lot single mothers that do hell of a great job, better then non-single moms. I plan to have a lot kids,..thew myself and adoption.