ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 01-22-2011
Field Operative

dishdog01 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kumpf View Post
Officers should be provided with the same training, equipment and support that every other law enforcement officer should have. Those items are co-dependent. Having one without the others is not acceptable. Issued equipment should be provided with proper, substantiated and supportable training for the specific purpose for which the equipment is designed to provide.

How's that for some lofty language?
<----pretty lofty language but I am on the same page as you-thanks for the response.
Old 01-22-2011
Field Operative

dishdog01 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullbite View Post
We are Deputies that work in the Animal Control Dept. The Sheriff holds our certifications. We call for PD or Deputies when we need to transport somebody to jail. Ofcourse we call for assitance in some situations because they can respond faster than another ACO. Theres just a whole lot more of them around and theres just a few of us covering the whole county.
So yeah we carry issued firearms. We have nine sworn officers and two unsworn. The unsworn dont have guns.
Whereabouts in NC are you-just out of curiousity...
Old 03-27-2011

Njaco is on a distinguished road

Just throwing my 2 cents in:

Like SJ mentioned, we don't carry firearms and get local PD to assist in any hard cases. Then again, in my area, there isn't a real need for that and the working relationship we have with the PD is great with an equal respect given to us. But, carrying would depend on where you work. An ACO friend of mine that worked Camden City had no firearms, etc and was shot at several times and stabbed. The attitude of his superiors/bosses was that of Mayberry RFD.

We wear polos because the previous uniform made us look like gas station attendants. Its not the personal hygeine of the ACO but the lack of respect that "those in charge" view what we do and its a battle to just change. We wear the polos because they're just professioanl enough to command some respect but also low key enough not to intimidate the public.
Old 03-29-2011
Certified Posting ACO

UPDHampton is on a distinguished road
So I beleive there a many posts about this issue so its definitly a hot topic. I live and work in Kansas. I am the first ACO for our town to be a sworn LEO with full police powers and armed with a sidearm. This wasn't always so, I worked from October 08 until June '10 before I was old enough and was able to convince the bosses to allow me to attend the Academy.
I have a full duty belt of tools and wear a Tan button down shirt with tan pants, I also have a leg holster for the sidearm. I can make traffic stops with the "dog wagon.". Although if I'm asked to fill shift for somone I use the patrol vehicle of the person i'm filling in for. I'm the only ACO in town to run shelter with a parttime highschool shelter tech.
Even though I'm a certified LEO, I still deal with the dog catcher mentality. People in town grew up with the dog catcher mentality and the other LEO's still refer to me as the "dogcatcher". So I guess the point I'm trying to make even when an individual has the training it would take most of the ACO's around trained proficently and educating the public to turn this into a ACO or HLEO profession and not a sterotypical dogcatcher p***ed on by public type field
Just my two cents
Old 04-02-2011
Field Operative

carrie_cat

As a MOP (member of the public) on the board, I have to say that the professionalizing and the respect and reputation issues are big for the public too. When I am most frustrated, as an animal-lover and advocate, it is when ACOs here behave like dog catchers. And I know that the good, principled ACOs who have to work for or with "dogcatchers" are affected too. I long for a day when, for instance, local ACOs would find a cruelty situation where they needed investigative skills, and either they would themselves have had training to pursue that investigation right, or they would be able to call on law enforcement colleagues who would prioritize an animal cruelty appropriately to solve at least a few of them!

I think it is hard to build a good reputation and it only takes a minute to destroy one. It's kind of like what I recall facing as a female in the workplace early-on -- there was a joke back then that "a woman has to work twice as hard as a man in order to get respect. Fortunately, that is not difficult to do." Lol!
Old 04-02-2011
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

I would say it's a combination of ACOs behaving professionally AND, just as important, educating the BOSSES and LEOs. When your bosses see you as a dogcatcher, and won't let you be anything more, and the LEOs think animal calls are beneath them, the public doesn't get professional service.