ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 01-03-2011
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

LiHammy is an unknown quantity at this point

We only break out the vest when we are going out on warrants with police; they are very expensive and uncomfortable to wear. OC and asp you can get through you local PD. ask to have the same training when they do it, and getting sprayed is not fun by any means. For the most part they are for show and we do have a use of force continuum that we adhere to.
You may have training options with your local fire department and Police. Just ask and keep an open mind and work with in your township to get the basic stuff you need. Ask the city clerk. They really run the town, maybe they will help you get what you need.
When you start getting into the topics of firearms and self defense, you also have to plan on defending yourself against lawyers and insurance companies afterwards.
Old 01-03-2011
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdog01 View Post
So all that being said Mr Kumpf, which side of the issue do you fall on-for or against carrying?
I know how you feel about the Taser as we had a lengthy discussion outside the Holiday Inn in '08 in the Chicago-area for a NACA conference but in there defense (use of) I have seen them deployed effectively and essentially save a dog from being hit on a four lane road.
Another issue (big time) especially in MI is the lack of continuity in training and the offering of the same at all levels. The state should be more proactive in training guidelines and the such..
Officers should be provided with the same training, equipment and support that every other law enforcement officer should have. Those items are co-dependent. Having one without the others is not acceptable. Issued equipment should be provided with proper, substantiated and supportable training for the specific purpose for which the equipment is designed to provide.

How's that for some lofty language?
Old 01-03-2011
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by acofred View Post
I'd just like to wear a professional uniform! Some of us, Mark, are forced to look like the net carrying, shirt untucked fools by our bosses.
No one makes anyone look unprofessional. Tuck in your shirt. Make sure its clean and in good repair. If you have a net, make sure its the same way. Professionalism is as much about personal demeanor and how you deport yourself while on the job.
Old 01-03-2011
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kumpf View Post
No one makes anyone look unprofessional. Tuck in your shirt. Make sure its clean and in good repair. If you have a net, make sure its the same way. Professionalism is as much about personal demeanor and how you deport yourself while on the job.
Okay, not literally shirt untucked. Just looking like any meter reader or sewer worker. And being denied the authority to do what the public expects out of an ACO.
Old 01-03-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

I can’t help but chuckle about the uniforms. I was getting a little tired of pulling a polo shirt on ever my vest, and when I interviewed at my current position the boss asked if I would like to go back to a button down shirt. I told him sure, so after some doing we ended up in dark blue button down shirts with our names sewn in on the right side and a badge sewn on to the left side with the same khaki cargo pants we already had.

The shirts they replaced were really cheap polo shirts that had holes in them and were so transparent they had to wear t shirts under them to stay decent. The people that work for me are a little on the robust side, and they didn’t even own belts so they wore the shirts out all the time. Now along with the button down shirts, we also have duty belts, which they only wear on calls.

One of my officers fells that the old worn out polo shirts hanging out of their pants looks more “professional” than the navy blue button down with a duty belt because everybody else wears polos.
Old 01-03-2011
Field Operative

maddog is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Polo shirts are only good looking on people who are not carrying a speck of extra pounds (and, maybe TMI, not female and 'well endowed'....) in my opinion. My boss wanted me to wear polos, I argued and pleaded and whined about no pockets for pen and business cards and radio clip and...... until he gave in and I got back my button down! I am the only one in a green shirt, the rest of the deputies wear deputy brown. When customers ask why I wear green I tell them it matches my eyes and goes better with the silver hair! LOL!
Old 01-04-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

We can wear either. I wear my polo if I was to wear my outer carrier for my vest. I wear my class A's if I go to court. I wear my t-shirt if I am doing training or getting dirty... or it 120 outside that day.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 01-04-2011

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

We got button downs and polos, with the option to wear either...Midnight Navy in color, Polo has a insingnia on the left, name on the right and Animal Control Officer on the back in silver. With pen pocket and mic clip(5.11 Tactical Polo) Our Button downs are traditional. Our option to wear, I only wear the polo in summertime to show of my guns LOL...it's soo true though haha!!
Old 01-04-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

My polo only shows off my gut. I really wish we had the option of the polo or button down. Sometimes my people will wear the old polo if all their new shirts are dirty, but if we had a set of navy blue, about a size or two bigger than the old ones, it would work out better.
Old 01-20-2011
Provisional Posting ACO

Fullbite is on a distinguished road

We are Deputies that work in the Animal Control Dept. The Sheriff holds our certifications. We call for PD or Deputies when we need to transport somebody to jail. Ofcourse we call for assitance in some situations because they can respond faster than another ACO. Theres just a whole lot more of them around and theres just a few of us covering the whole county.
So yeah we carry issued firearms. We have nine sworn officers and two unsworn. The unsworn dont have guns.