ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

View Poll Results: Is the position of Animal Control Officer a "Profession"?
Yes 49 92.45%
No 4 7.55%
Dont Care 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Do you think the public think of us as a necessary evil like the gas man or garbage collector? They are not "professionals" so we are not. We are just more government employees. I guess it is going to take a lot of work to make people aware of what it takes for us for do our job. The dangers we get faced with on a regular basis and the passion it takes to do it.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 03-26-2009
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbirdhse View Post
I guess what I learned from this is that a large group of the population is simply content with defining their own existence as whatever they want it to be. I'll admit I was hoping for something different, with a little more internal locus to make the "JOB" a "PROFESSION". Cool. Keep voting that you all are professionals because you feel a calling to do the work.
Have courage, dearheart. And have some perspective, too. If you'd asked a dedicated nurse about her job before 1857, they would have been saying the same thing: "I feel called," "I do a great job," "I am dedicated to the work." We haven't had our Florence Nightingale moment yet, that's all.

And even when we do, it'll take a while. FN served in the Crimea in 1854. Even with the huge public support she had as a result (and she was the equivalent of the British Victorian "Britney Spears"!), it took another 20 years to establish the first nursing school, another 40 years to establish the first professional oath of office, and another 60 years for an "R.N." to be required to practice. If we count the first NACA Level one classes in 1992 as the first official "school" of AC, we still have until 2012 to develop an oath and until 2032 to have a required level of training in order to be an ACO.

We'll get there. WE WILL GET THERE. I promise you.

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 03-26-2009
Field Operative

hasbeenaco is on a distinguished road

But the point is we're NOT there yet. Therefore, I still contend that while most ACOs are professional in their work, Animal Control is not a profession.
Old 03-30-2009
Forum Friend

DCACC is on a distinguished road

Just to throw another word in the mix.

For those who are calling this position a calling then you have found your Vocation.

Yes, this is a profession that is working to standardize best practices, but has a long way to go to be uniform and accredited.