ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 01-04-2008
Probationary Trainee

MotorcycleLover is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to MotorcycleLover
Talking Question on boarding kennels

Looks like we have a 40 dog kennel opening up in our area. The plans are still in paper form at the moment. Since I have not worked with boarding kennels before, I have had little luck locating information as to our role as a city-run shelter in it's existence. (Inspections? Permits? etc.) Does anyone have any information they wouldn't mind passing along? Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-05-2008
Giga-posting ACO

ILUVMAXINE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ILUVMAXINE

I would check out their business license. We had one that was actually a puppy mill. They stated that they would be selling puppies on the application but the sign on the building says boarding kennel. Other than that I wouldn't see a need to inspect unless there were complaints.
Old 01-05-2008
Probationary Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAXINE View Post
I would check out their business license. We had one that was actually a puppy mill. They stated that they would be selling puppies on the application but the sign on the building says boarding kennel. Other than that I wouldn't see a need to inspect unless there were complaints.
Thank you
Old 01-05-2008
Giga-posting ACO

aco30l13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to aco30l13

Depends on the ordinances in the area. In our jurisdiction, all kennels must have a ermit through animal control and are required to undergo annual inspections by an ACO.

Quote:
(h) Commercial kennel: Any person engaged in the commercial breeding of dogs or cats, or both, for sale, individually or in litter lots; or in the boarding, training, sale or hire of dogs and/or cats for compensation as permitted under the County Zoning Ordinance. Animal hospitals maintained by a veterinarian licensed by the State of California as part of the practice of veterinary medicine, animal shelters or private kennels shall not be considered commercial kennels.
Quote:

Sec. B31-70. Permit required. No person shall conduct, operate or keep any pet shop, commercial kennel, private kennel, pet grooming parlor, animal menagerie or animal shelter within unincorporated Santa Clara County without first obtaining an appropriate permit from the Manager, and subject to the provisions of the County Zoning Ordinance. The annual permit fee for the above animal facilities shall be fixed by resolution of the Board of Supervisors. However, the Manager of Animal Care and Control shall waive the fee for an animal establishment providing non-profit search and rescue service and non-profit activities in hospitals and schools.
Quote:

Sec. B31-73. Conditions relating to animal facilities.
Every person who owns, conducts, manages or operates any commercial kennel, private kennel, pet shop, pet grooming parlor, animal menagerie or animal shelter shall comply with each of the following conditions, in addition to the regulations and standards established by the Animal Care and Control Manager as permitted in Section B31-72.
(a) Housing:
(1) Housing facilities for animals shall be structurally sound and shall be maintained in good repair to protect animals from injury and restrict entrance of other animals or the escape of animals so contained therein.
(2) Every building or enclosure wherein animals are maintained shall be properly ventilated to prevent drafts and to remove odors; heating and cooling shall be provided as required, according to the physical need of the animals, with sufficient light to allow observation of the animals.
(3) All animal rooms, cages, kennels, runs, stalls and corrals shall be of sufficient size to provide adequate and proper accommodation and protection from the weather for the animals kept therein.
(4) All animal facilities shall be constructed and operated in a manner that reasonably protects public health and safety and safety of the animals.
(b) Sanitation: All animal facilities shall be maintained and operated at all times in a clean and sanitary condition, and in a manner that avoids causing odors or attraction of flies and vermin, and excessive noise.
(c) Care of animals:
(1) All animals shall be supplied with a quantity of wholesome food suitable for the species and age of the respective animals, as often as the feeding habits of such animals require and sufficient to maintain a reasonable level of nutrition. All animals shall have available to them sufficient potable water. Food and water shall be served in separate, clean receptacles.
(2) No animal, except those animal(s) in a pasture provided with adequate feed and water, shall be without attention for more than twenty-four consecutive hours. The name, address and telephone number of a person responsible for the animal shall be posted in a conspicuous place, visible from outside the facility or at the main gate of a pasture where animals are kept, unless the owner/guardian or attendant of the animal(s) is immediately available on the premises.
(3) All sick, diseased or injured animals shall be isolated from healthy animals at all times and shall be given proper medical treatment. The Manager may order the operator of the facility to immediately seek licensed veterinarian treatment for any animal.
(4) All animals shall be treated in a humane manner.
(d) Compliance:
(1) The Manager or his or her authorized representative shall have the authority to enter the animal facility except by means of force when he or she has reason to believe that the provisions of the permit or this chapter, applicable state law, or the rules and regulations of the Manager are being violated. The failure of the operator to consent to the entry shall be deemed just cause for the revocation of the permit. (2) Failure of an applicant or a permit holder to comply with any of the provisions of the permit, this division, or applicable state law, or the rules and regulations of the manager shall be deemed just cause for the denial of any permit, either original or renewal, or for revocation, thereof.
-American Indian Proverb

After dark all cats are leopards.
-American Indian Proverb,
Old 01-05-2008
Probationary Trainee

Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by aco30l13 View Post
Depends on the ordinances in the area. In our jurisdiction, all kennels must have a ermit through animal control and are required to undergo annual inspections by an ACO.
You are awesome! Thank you so much!!!
Old 01-05-2008
Giga-posting ACO

ACO2642 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ACO2642 Send a message via Yahoo to ACO2642

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleLover View Post
Looks like we have a 40 dog kennel opening up in our area. The plans are still in paper form at the moment. Since I have not worked with boarding kennels before, I have had little luck locating information as to our role as a city-run shelter in it's existence. (Inspections? Permits? etc.) Does anyone have any information they wouldn't mind passing along? Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
MotorcycleLover unless you or your agency are empowered with enforcing the laws and ordinances regarding the operations of a private kennel in your city, I'd say you have absolutely no resposibility or authority to get involved period.

Usually the responsibility rests with a specific dept. within that particular city, county or state. In Pa. for example kennel licensing and inspections fall under the Dept. of Agriculture. They have a Bureau of "Dog Law" which handles licensing, inspecting, and investigating complaints regarding kennels.
I am a local PD jurisdiction, I have a small kennel (8 runs), which I use to keep lost, abandoned and quarantined animals in, each year I must apply to the Bureau for a license to operate this kennel, and once a year an officer from the bureau comes and inspects my kennel.

Light travels faster than sound,
which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese!
Old 01-05-2008
Provisional Posting ACO

KC Animal Cop is an unknown quantity at this point

AC up here inspects all kennels initially and once a year after that. It's fun and you get to spend time with some really neat folks chatting about their dogs!
Old 01-05-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

BHCZ1 is on a distinguished road

Our County just adopted an ordinance that the health dept will be issuing permits and inspections each year on Kennels,groomers, pet stores and even Veterinarians. The rescue groups and our shelter will have to also pass inspections. I feel this is a good idea, At first I was offended but as I thought about it I realsized it would be good. The county wrote a letter to our City wanting to know if we wanted to have this or pass on it. I told the chief I felt it was good, for I am not afraid of anyone inspecting the shelter and that I have heard of so many horror stories of shelters that have been unsanitary and animals living in poor conditions. I told him It was a protection for the City and the Police dept. I believe my standards will never drop, for if they do I need to leave, whoever may proceed me I know they will have to meet certain criteria. So we are going forward with it.

Leah