ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 06-14-2006
Almighty ACO

UCDW880 is on a distinguished road
Default blogs, chat groups, forums

Hey, can someone explain this whole blogging thing to me?
I'm on various forums, chat groups and even occasionally doing the live chats, but I haven't figured out the whole blog stuff yet.
Too busy on the road to become too much of a techie.
Alison, can ya help me out so I don't look so stupid in the future.

MB
Old 06-14-2006
Giga-posting ACO

ACO2642 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ACO2642 Send a message via Yahoo to ACO2642

Blog = Web log
Basically its boiling down a story or topic of discussion to just the bare facts.
Most popular are blogs that follow TV shows. Its how you catch up on what you missed while you were away.

If you want the more technical answer then by all means please refer to the professionals.

Light travels faster than sound,
which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese!
Old 06-14-2006
Shelter Survivor

UNDRTKR is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to UNDRTKR

I actualy keep a "blog" its basically an internet journal. I write in it every couple of days or so, and then give the address out to whoever I want to read it (intended for family and friends) You can write about your day at work any other interesting crap going on. I gotta tell ya my friends said they have a blast reading mine because I talk a lot about work, anything from the day my work van broke down and I had to sit on the corner in the ghetto with 5 dogs tied up to me because their air conditioners broke down, or stupid idiots I dealt with that day, funny stuff like that. I think they're kinda fun, but, what do I know I have no life!!! LOL
Old 06-14-2006
Grand Poobah Webgeek
Site Admin

A. Gianotto has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to A. Gianotto

bexleyaco - the other replies are correct - it's just an online journal. How people use it varies. Some people post only private entries, so that it's more like a private diary. The more sophisticated blog sites (LiveJournal, even CritterCrusaders.Com) allow you to filter who can see your posts. For example, on my LiveJournal, 90% of my posts are "friends only" which means only people *I* have decided to add to my friends list can see them. From there, I can further filter it and create a custom friends group so that only some people on my friends list can see certain posts. This lets me post whatever I'm thinking, without leaving my innermost thoughts out there for strangers to see.

Some people (like me) use it as a way to stay in touch with friends that are far away. I grew up on the east coast, and now I live on the west coast. I'm NOT a phone person, so the only way I really get to share my life with my friends is through my blog. What's nice about CC and LJ as well is that your friends blogs are all listed on your friends page - so you can literally read one page and catch up on multiple people's lives. My more private posts are usually cathartic to a degree - bitching, venting, reflection, that sort of hoohah.

Some people's blogs are horrifically droll and self-indulgent. 20 posts a day about what their cat is doing, whether or not they should color their hair, etc. But hey, it's their blog - if you don't like it, don't read it. And that's really what it's all about.

You can specify on your blog posts whether or not you want to allow people to be able to comment as well - so if its a post you specifically don't want feedback on, you can turn comments off. If it's something you'd be interested in a discussion on, leave comments turned on.

But the thing with blogs are that they are most effective when you kinow a lot of people using them. My LJ Friends page would be useless if I didn't have any friends on it, right?

R.I.P. Susan Caskey AKA "Critterfuz": April 1970 - Dec 2007.
R.I.P. Keegan Merrick AKA "RichmondACO": July 1977 - Jan 2009.

We miss you.
Old 06-14-2006
Field Operative

carrie_cat

I've started to blog twice in the past few years but although I have a couple friends who do wonderful blogs (even one that's very public), I can't seem to get the knack of it. But, then again, it's been a looooong time since I kept a written journal, too. I do enjoy cruising other blogs when I get a chance, though. Even the very egocentric ones are amusing sometimes, maybe more if I DON'T know the blogger than if I did
Old 07-25-2006
Provisional Posting ACO

CrazyMomma

I do blog, and big time blog reader, and I am already addicted to all kind of forum. I have my own personal general discussion forum and blog.

If you guys want to read my blog - here is it...

www.theredheadgrimes.com/blogger

and my forum is www.theredheadgrimes.com/forum

You guys are more welcome to come in...