ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 08-31-2005
Certified Posting ACO

jimbo
Default Your Focus Should be?

The animal should be your focus! I did not read anything about the condition of the dog. The apparatus that confines the dog should be almost irrelevant. You will have a really hard time in a court of law charging anyone with a crime for keeping an animal in the manner that you described. Animals, like humans, vary on a huge spectrum of preferences and apptitudes. The dog may love being outside, you could not know, he can't tell you.

The condition of the dog is the most important factor. I would, if concerned with an animal in a similar situation, order that the owner provide a Vet. Statement. I don't know about your jurisdiction, but here in Texas ACO's have the authority to order the owner to provide a written statement from a licensed Veterinarian. That is a sure way to make sure that the animal gets to see the doctor!

Most of the time the Veterinarian will be able to vaccinate the animal for Rabies, Parvo, Distemper, Hepetitis A & B, Leptospiris, Corona you know the good stuff. He also would get treated for anything else that the Veterinarian finds, if he doesn't, you now have written proof that the owner falied to treat an obvious injury or illness. That alone would get you close to a seizure warrant in almost any jursdiction, if you need to go that far.

The Veterinarian, may give the animal a clean bill of health in which case you still have managed to ensure that the animal received a doctor visit, and all that that implies. You should educate the owner by having a civil discussion with him, or her. Remember that badgering or proving to everyone that hears your discussion that you love animals more than they do, or that you would take better care of the dog, does very little to make the dog's situation any better. Be as nice as you can, people respond much better to being treated with dignity than being talked down to.

Educate the owner! Let them know that you will return to follow up, and that you may take further enforcement action, if they do not comply with your orders, or if you do not see improvement in the animal's condition. Just make sure that you keep yourself within your authority. You can educate these type of people if you leave their dignity intact, you will not serve the animal's interest by winning a spitting contest with the owners.

Use enforcement action as your tool, do not hesitate to issue citations for violations of the law that you see. I like Teddy Roosevelt's approach, "Talk softly, and carry a really thick citation book".
I would immediately issue a citation if the dog doesn't have on a Rabies tag, I think that is the most under enforced issue in Animal Control, I issue a citation for no I.D. at almost every time I see an animal without a tag!

Did I mention to leave the animal owners with their dignity intact? You can be strict and get results without being combative. How much help will the animal get if the owners are just hassled and angry at the whole situation, as opposed to left feeling that the well being of their animal is the entire "focus" of your visit.
Old 09-05-2005
Grand Poobah Webgeek
Site Admin

A. Gianotto has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to A. Gianotto

jimbo - I'm afraid I can't agree that the apparatus is irrelevent. Its common knowledge that tethering dogs can lead to aggression and other problems - but I digress. There is a significant difference between "being outside" and being tethered - you should know that as well as anyone. That said, I still firmly believe that dogs, being pack animals, will almost always prefer to be with the family (their pack) rather than being kept outside all the time.

Not everything is about what you can charge in a court of law - sometimes a question might just be asking "what can I do to make this situation better", as was the case with this gentleman's email, I would suspect.

The e-mail I posted was the entire e-mail in its entirely - while I did, in my initial response, ask about the condition of the dog, the e-mailer never replied. I pointed him to the dogservebetter.org site, and our own page on tethering - both of which address many of the points you brought up. But you must remember that the e-mailer is not an animal control officer, and therefore many of your suggestions don't really apply here. This is just "a guy", so asking for vet documentation, issuing warnings and saying that he'd be back in x days to check on the situation wouldn't really work.

Obviously, educating the owner is always the goal, but there are many out there that just won't listen. I do appreciate your feedback here, but you should keep in mind that the Ask the ACO forum is open to members of the public, so it can't really be assumed that the question being asked is coming from humane law enforcement.

R.I.P. Susan Caskey AKA "Critterfuz": April 1970 - Dec 2007.
R.I.P. Keegan Merrick AKA "RichmondACO": July 1977 - Jan 2009.

We miss you.
Old 09-14-2005
Certified Posting ACO

jimbo
Default Whoaa Nelly!

Duly noted. I did assume that this was an ACO asking for advice on how to handle a situation where tethering laws were non-existent.

I would however, like to respectfully disagree with the statement that tethering, makes a dog more aggressive. Territorial behavior and aggressive behavior are not always the same thing. It may be so that tethered dogs receive less human contact, or socialization, and therefore be less outwardly friendly. It may also be so that territorial behavior mimicks aggressive behavior, in certain instances. Yet there are no legitimate statistics (imho) that support the claim that these dogs are more aggressive because of the tethering. I will concede that tethering a dog makes him more like to be territorial, in a smaller space.

Most dog bites occur in the home, or with an animal that is at large. Those dogs are therefore (imho) more aggressive. A dog that barks at you while he is on chain, is just as likely to wag his tail and be your buddy once you enter his territory, as the dog that barks at you while he is looking at you from behind the fence. Assuming that everything else is equal.

I do agree with you that animals that are pets would prefer to be with their families. I just am not sure we should make that a condition of omnership, or try to litigate an animals circumstances beyond his health and safety. We tread on really thin ice when we begin infringing on personal freedoms (pet ownership is one such freedom). Where is the line between one's right to own a pet, and another's right to govern how that pet is confined?

State Laws place that line where the the animals health and safety lie. If the animal, is determined to be in good health, and is in no eminent danger, the confinement is a matter of personal preference or freedom. Most of the time there is another way to make sure the animal is recieving proper care.

I know that best case scenario all animals would be indoor pets, it is just not realistic to try to legislate that into being. Pets are very much like children in that they are very resilliant, and can adapt to any infinite number of sets of circumstances; as long as the animals are healthy, and happy, and the owners comply with laws governing pet ownership, there should be no issue.

Will you concede that there must be circumstances where tethering an animal is better for the animal than running loose and being hit by a car, or what about a situation where two pets must be kept apart during times when the owner is at work? Animals can become aggressive with each other while left alone, in an instance with one dog being significantly larger than the other, the life of the smaller dog could be at stake! I am against laws that are overly stringent, if we enforce the laws that we have now, most of the time there will be no sufferage on the part of the animals.
Old 09-14-2005
Shelter Survivor

RichmondACO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to RichmondACO

I agree with Jimbo that it should be the owners right to tether or not.

It is my experience though, that animals that are tethered are greatly more at risk for neglect and cruelty. I believe tethering enables laziness. The dog is at the end of the property, owner comes home and is exausted, leaves it for tomorrow and a pattern begins. I have rarely ever come accross a dog that stays indoors at least some of the time that is dehydrated, emmaciated, or has an ingrown collar, at least due to neglectful environments. People here merely use dogs as a form of protection at the alley end of their property.

I picked up a mamma dog with ten pups last night that was tied at the end of the property. Three large city-cans surrounded the dog to obscure others view from her. When I was questioning and conducting the seizer the owners(none of legal age to own her) were quick to get their behinds off the front porch and come fill the empty water bucket and feed her. She was about 30 lbs under weight and had a logging chain on, which subsequently weighed more than she did.

Tethering merely enables and breeds the laziness that already exsists in people is what i'm trying to say is all.

\"The man who gets bit twice by the same dog is better adapted for that kind of business than any other.\"
Old 09-15-2005
Giga-posting ACO

Sunny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunny

[quote="RichmondACO"]
I picked up a mamma dog with ten pups last night that was tied at the end of the property. Three large city-cans surrounded the dog to obscure others view from her. When I was questioning and conducting the seizer the owners(none of legal age to own her) were quick to get their behinds off the front porch and come fill the empty water bucket and feed her. She was about 30 lbs under weight and had a logging chain on, which subsequently weighed more than she did.

Hi RichmondACO,

Correct me if I'm wrong...but would that not be grounds for either having them surrender or remove the mommy dog and her pups. One..for not providing food and water, Also, if they didn't have adqute shelter for them, two...her being under weight (yes, I know that she gave birth..but 30 pounds under weight) Three...because of having the mom, not good body condition..not having the proper nutrition..she can't properly take care and nurse her puppies properly. Fourth, the owners were not of legal age to even own her. and Fifth, having the logging chain..which weighed more than her.

I would have either had them surrendered or removed. I'm not a nicey nicey..and my thinking is if they don't do it the first time...odds are they are not going to do.

What did you end up doing?

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

You can either be the cure or the disease.
Old 09-15-2005
Shelter Survivor

RichmondACO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to RichmondACO

Took em! lol. I guess I didn't specify, sorry. One guy was eighteen but didn't have ID or proof of ownership. It was an easy seizure. Just thought i'de use that instance to support the point I was making about tethering. If I didn't take herand the pups, i'de hope you'de come down here and smack me,lol.

\"The man who gets bit twice by the same dog is better adapted for that kind of business than any other.\"
Old 09-15-2005
Giga-posting ACO

*LOL* RichmondACO...you better believe I'd be coming down *L* with the AC/DC song "Son of a B**** blarring in the car.windows rolled down. *hehe*

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Old 09-16-2005
Giga-posting ACO

*hehe..sorry...that is my aco athem song...as in you think you are having a bad day..wait till i pull up in your drive way..and this is my 3nd time i'm at your house in a week...with your dog..cause it was running at large...AGAIN....*singing* "now your messin with a son of a B****. *L* sorry sorry sorry...but it is a great song...i'm nice...really I am.

Sunny

Old 09-16-2005
Grand Poobah Webgeek
Site Admin

A. Gianotto has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to A. Gianotto

suuuuuuuuuuuuuure you are......

LOL j/k! We know you're nice - but hey, even the nicest people need a kickass theme song sometimes!

R.I.P. Susan Caskey AKA "Critterfuz": April 1970 - Dec 2007.
R.I.P. Keegan Merrick AKA "RichmondACO": July 1977 - Jan 2009.

We miss you.
Old 09-20-2005
Certified Posting ACO

jimbo
Default Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny
*hehe..sorry...that is my aco athem song...as in you think you are having a bad day..wait till i pull up in your drive way..and this is my 3nd time i'm at your house in a week...with your dog..cause it was running at large...AGAIN....*singing* "now your messin with a son of a B****. *L* sorry sorry sorry...but it is a great song...i'm nice...really I am.

Sunny
I think you may be referencing the Nazereth song?