ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Job Openings

Old 08-14-2011
Newsfeed bot
Giga-posting ACO

newsbot is on a distinguished road
Default ANIMAL CONTROL OFFICER - EAST WINDSOR TOWNSHIP - East Windsor, NJ

CERTIFIED ANIMAL CONTROL OFFICER - East Windsor has part-time "as needed" basis position(s). Send resume/letter of interest to: Township Manager, 16 Lanning...
From NJ.com - 14 Aug 2011 15:02:00 GMT - job details - View all East Windsor jobs

More...
Old 08-14-2011
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

"As-needed?" And certified? I don't think anybody is going to sit by the phone to be called "as needed" when their income is "needed everyday." Unless it's an ACO already contracting with other towns nearby. But then those towns might not like the idea of their ACO being tied up elsewhere when they're paying him/her to be available in THEIR town.
Old 08-14-2011
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

Come on. You know what "as needed" is. That's how your local Police Department views you. When they "need" you you're the most valuable person in the world. When they don't need you then you're just the dog catcher.
Old 08-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caninelaw View Post
Come on. You know what "as needed" is. That's how your local Police Department views you. When they "need" you you're the most valuable person in the world. When they don't need you then you're just the dog catcher.
Yeah, but at least when they don't need me I'm still on the clock...
Old 08-15-2011
Giga-posting ACO

ACO2642 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ACO2642 Send a message via Yahoo to ACO2642

Quote:
Originally Posted by acofred View Post
Yeah, but at least when they don't need me I'm still on the clock...
AMEN Brother !!

Light travels faster than sound,
which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese!
Old 08-15-2011
Probationary Trainee

SBARANEK

Born & Rasied In NJ (Union County) and left the place back in 99...........WHY would anyone want to move there "As Needed"!? LOL
Old 08-19-2011
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Believe it or not, that is basically my job description. I'm still an on-call. I am a full-time veterinarian and I enjoy doing the ACO job. I find it very relaxing. There are a lot of police officers, EMT's and firemen who have their full-time work and do the ACO work "as needed", here in NJ. It is becoming the norm. I had one town that paid me to be on-call and then found someone who accepted less money to be on-call.

As far as working two or more towns, that is also the norm for ACOs that are on-call here. I know one who covers six towns. When I did cover more than one town alone, I covered three. I was only needed at the same location in two different towns once. It does happen but if you have a very busy municipality, you would not take on too many towns. The municipality I cover for now actually covers two municipalities apart from their own. The day time officer acts as our dispatcher. I have another partner that does the ACO work as needed as well. He is County DPW during the day and one of the on-call ACO. It works for us since neither he nor I would give up our daytime jobs but we enjoy doing the ACO work part-time. Depending on the call and urgency, depends on the on-call person that the dispatcher sends. It can work.
Old 08-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNEGRIN6 View Post
Believe it or not, that is basically my job description. I'm still an on-call. I am a full-time veterinarian and I enjoy doing the ACO job. I find it very relaxing. There are a lot of police officers, EMT's and firemen who have their full-time work and do the ACO work "as needed", here in NJ.
But Animal Control, when needed, is needed NOW. What happens when you are busy with appointments? Or the police officers, EMTs and firefighters are on the clock with their full-time job? "As needed" gives the impression that you're supposed to wait by the phone for them to call...
Old 08-20-2011
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by acofred View Post
But Animal Control, when needed, is needed NOW. What happens when you are busy with appointments? Or the police officers, EMTs and firefighters are on the clock with their full-time job? "As needed" gives the impression that you're supposed to wait by the phone for them to call...
I have two other partners. If I am busy, they take over. I'm only on-call when I'm do not have office hours. Same for the other officers that are PO, EMTs etc. There is always someone available.
Old 09-01-2011
Probationary Trainee

twilightmedley is on a distinguished road

I seen this and was confused so I didnt apply. I thought you just get paid for the calls you do and are on call all the time and I can't just leave my current job for a call (though I would love to sometimes lol ) Maybe I shouldn't be so picky.