ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 07-22-2011
Probationary Trainee

Nebula is on a distinguished road
Default Can't seem to get into the field

Hi. I spent my own money to attend NACA level 1 and the Annual Conference, in which I was Bite Stick Certified. I also am a Certified E.A.M.T. from the AZ Humane Society, took a course in canine behavior, and a couple of other things...But I am unable to utilize anything that I learned! Maricopa County, Mesa Animal Control, Surprise, Peoria nor Avondale are hiring. I have been looking at job opportunities in other states, but I do not know anyone in the field. Without experience, despite limited training, how likely is any small or medium sized town or city to hire someone from out of state with no experience? I'm rather frustrated. I want to relocate. I have been ready to get out of AZ and back into some seasonal weather. I have researched various locales to assess the weather, crime stats, economy, political environment, etc.

As ACOs, what would be your recommendation for me? I would really rather be hired before moving. It's been a couple of years and I still have the same desire to pursue this as I did when I started. Unfortunately, the opportunities just do not exist here.

I welcome any advice you have to offer. Thank you kindly, Paige
Old 07-22-2011
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Nebula,

I'm a veterinarian as well as an ACO/ACI. I have had an interest in law enforcement for almost as long as I have been interested in becoming a vet. After about 10 years of working as a vet., I elected to work as an on-call ACO/ACI. Just applying for work was difficult. If you did not know someone, you did not get in easily. I looked for almost 2 years before I found a job that needed an on-call. The only reason I think I got the job initially is because they were also getting a vet. and a possible holding facility in the deal. I have earned my position now, but it was difficult getting someone to let me show what I could do.

While looking for an ACO job, I volunteered in several shelters; I also worked as a shelter vet. (meaning that I supervised the shelters while working at my own office). I kept as busy as I could with shelter work in order to learn as much as I could from the working ACOs. It paid off. Eventually, one municipalty hired me. I have two great partners; we work well together. I advise either of them on vet. issues; one of my partners works the cruelty aspect more than I do so she is more familiar with local ordinances, etc. than I; the other partner has been an ACO longer than either of us so if we need advice from a more seasoned ACO, we turn to him. Our HO picked a good, well-balanced, team.

I guess the best advice is to work with others in the field and try to get your foot in the door wherever possible. Sometimes, it is not just municipalities that hire ACOs; there are some private organization out there that also do hiring.

Last edited by DRNEGRIN6; 07-23-2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 07-22-2011
Probationary Trainee

Thank you for your advice. I did volunteer for a shelter, which is where I had the opportunity to take the "Vet tech crash course...a.k.a. E.A.M.T." and behavioral training. There are no opportunities here. The county contracts with all but four cities. No one is hiring. I've been watching the job listings for a couple of years now. County hired for one ACO, but I wasn't considered because of lack of experience. I spoke with the recruiter. The private companies here are small, some only one person. And I have been watching for openings there as well.

Back to my question. If I am interested in a position out of my state, am I likely to be considered seriously or not? I know that hiring locally is ideal for any organization. And even if I am willing to drive out for an interview...the fact is that I do not have experience nor do I have connections.

Since I am not in the field, I have no idea how close knit the business is. I guess I was wondering if any one thinks I would have to choose a location and move there prior to looking for an ACO position or if I even have a chance at being hired from out of state.

Thank you for your time. Much appreciated.
Old 07-22-2011
Forum Friend

AMB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ACO jobs

check out this page
www.taca.org
go under job opportunities, also google search Animal Control Officers and sometime they will have differne t places that are looking for ACO's. Good luck
Old 07-22-2011
Forum Friend

1xOscar88 is on a distinguished road

Don't feel bad. I've been watching the boards and placing applications in for over a year all over the USA. Recertified myself in Texas and have over 13 years experience and have had only a couple phone interviews and finally 1 positive possibility. The biggest problem is that many agencies have little faith that you will expend the money to actually go for an in person interview, and it is awkward if they don't decide on you and you have spent the time, effort, and mostly ~money~ to go. When they get infiltrated with 60-100+ applicants, it makes it pretty hard to simply get to the next level.
There are many agencies that have just begun their fiscal budget, which delays the process of hiring even more.

Just keep watching and applying. APPLY APPLY APPLY!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2011
Probationary Trainee

Thank you, that was very helpful. You've given me some needed insight into the process. Much appreciated! Paige
Old 07-23-2011
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Interested in Moving to Indiana?

If you are - I'll keep you in mind as I find out what we are doing about the positions we are currently trying to fill. We had our posting awhile ago but I think we are now in the position where we have gone thru the applicants that were "promising" and still need more....

If your interested send me a PM and I could fill you in more. I am not sure how many more spots we have to fill as of right now but I'll find out and can let you know. I obviously can't promise anything but I can certainly get the info and keep you in the loop of our dept and any other local openings....

Half
Old 08-27-2011
Field Operative

Tricia is on a distinguished road

Benton Arkansas is currently hiring for an animal control officer. www.benton.ar.gov I believe is their website.

Best of luck - I applied THREE times before I even got an interview to be an animal control officer. Then I interviewed at the same agency twice before I was hired. I have nearly 20 years experience with the whole gambit of certifications, etc and AZ Humane did not hire me when I applied for a job there. So, dont feel too bad.

My best advice to you - don not EVER do a phone interview, even if they offer. Ask if you can fly out for an in-person interview. I have never hired anyone based on a phone interview. You always come across better in person.