ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 05-29-2006
Forum Friend

doggz109
Default IMPOUND FEES

We have a set fee schedule that is set by our contract with the county. It varies depending on if the animal is licensed, spayed/neutered, and how long it has been at the shelter.

Typical it is something like this:

1st imp, licensed, and neutered: $30 + $15.00/day boarding

1st imp, not licensed, not neutered: $115.00 + $15.00/day boarding

It then goes up for multiple impounds. We allow our front office staff to be flexible. For instance if they want to leave the dog at the shelter to be neutered then we could cut them a break on the fees or not charge any boarding....etc. We also charge the owners of an impounded dog for any medical treatment or shots they recieve at the shelter.
Old 05-29-2006
Kennel Commander

thexplodingirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to thexplodingirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by aco30l13
Here in Santa Clara County we have a boarding fee for all animals that is charged daily, except when the shelter is closed. For dogs it is $22.00 per day per dog. Also we charge them a $65.00 impound fee and the time and mileage for the ACO to respond and capture the dog. We do not charge after we have put the dog in the truck.
You don't charge after you put it in your truck?? Huh? The only way we charge in the field is if we get the dog in the truck before we find an owner.
Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog is lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your butt out there and you find that dog.
Old 05-29-2006
Giga-posting ACO

aco30l13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to aco30l13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thexplodingirl
You don't charge after you put it in your truck?? Huh? The only way we charge in the field is if we get the dog in the truck before we find an owner.
It makes no sense to me either. As far as I am concerned we should charge from the time we get a call for a stray confined and include the mileage back to the shelter as well. But the powers that be insist that we only charge from the time we get the call to when we place the animal in the truck. Sometimes it is only a few minutes and very few miles. We charge a $65.00 impound fee and time and mileage. I have seen the time and mileage account for less than 10 bucks and it makes no sense to me but I guess that's why I am only an Officer and not a boss.
-American Indian Proverb

After dark all cats are leopards.
-American Indian Proverb,
Old 05-30-2006
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

That's so interesting. It involves so much calculation! We do it like this: If you return the dog without putting it into the truck, it's up to you whether or not you cite them. No charge (except the cite). If you put the dog in the truck, it's still up to you whether you cite them or not, but it's kind of expected that you will. Still no charge. The only time they actually get charged an impound fee etc. is if you actually have to take the dog to the shelter and kennel it, at which point there's a fee (I think it's $50) and a per diem boarding rate ($25?). But this way there's no math for us to do, no money for us to take in, just write the cite and you're outta there.

The whole money thing is kind of weird to me. (Do police officers have to carry change? I think not.) I try as much as possible to have the person deal with our front office instead of me -- for a cremation fee, or something like that, for example, I'll just ask them to call the office and make arrangements with them. The only time I really HAVE to collect money is for disposal of deads -- we charge $40-75 for removal of dead wildlife from private property, and obviously you can't remove the wildlife and then expect them to pay for it later ...

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 05-30-2006
Giga-posting ACO

ksbirdhse is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ksbirdhse

Eh hem, Winnie dear....

You ARE expected to cite an owner if you put it in your truck and return it to them... (It is supposed to be a rare exception to the rule if you decide NOT to cite them)...

Our impound fees are different depending if your dog is spayed/neutered or intact, so are the boarding fees. The impound fees start at 35 (for neutered) and go up to 200 by the 5th impound in any one year timespan (at which point it is 200 each impound thereafter). The boarding fees are 25 a day for neutered, 35.00 a day for intact.

We also have a herding fees, impound fees for livestock. We charge impound fees on all protective custody animals when they are arrested, and waive them all when an owner goes to the hospital (board fees still apply.)

~K[/img]
Old 05-30-2006
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbirdhse
Eh hem, Winnie dear ... ~K
You see, THIS is why I don't like to handle this kind of thing. I'd be out there herding cattle for free every dang time. I like cattle.

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 05-30-2006
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbirdhse
... The impound fees ... go up to 200 by the 5th impound in any one year timespan
Very interesting, incidentally, I didn't know there was a one year time limit. That kind of bites. Although I guess the frequent fliers are usually flying more frequently than that anyway ...

Old 05-30-2006
Giga-posting ACO

ksbirdhse is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ksbirdhse

Poor Win,

How much does it stink to have ME posting along right behind you.... reminding you about those pesky, stinkin' rules? And btw, no blaming it on a tbi.. or whatever you are calling it.

Come back to work and I promise to retrain you right... --not--... Ask me how many cites I have written this year...<grin>

~K
Old 05-30-2006
Giga-posting ACO

Yup, you and I, the "softy" queens ... . Never mind. We find more of the animals we go to look for than anyone else does. Funny about that.

Old 09-07-2006
Probationary Trainee

RICK

Hello,
If your starting from scratch, you might 1st want to get an idea of the amount of animals that are being impounded monthly, including livestock, wild life, and domestic. I work @ Los Angeles County Animal Control, this agency is the bigest in all U.S.
We house well over 600 animals daily. to house all these animals, you need to have propper staffing example=
1. (shelter aids) to clean and feed the animals.

2. (Vets on 24hour) to treat injured animals, unless you can contract a private vet.

3. (Field Officers) enough to cover at least the 5 working days. and be on call after hourse.

this is just a small example i could go on and on. gather up all your findings and come up with a ideas and cost to show the higher ups that it might be beneficial to your community.