ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 05-11-2006
Probationary Trainee

grateful1311
Send a message via AIM to grateful1311 Send a message via Yahoo to grateful1311
Default ACO needs some advice....

Hi all,

I am an animal control officer for the city of Somerville, Massachusetts. I've only been on this job for about a month. I have a few questions and I am hoping someone can help me out. The previous animal control officer wasnt real big on making this position easier. He had no email, no filing system and no adoption program. I am trying to get all of that going and I am having trouble coming up with a schedule of adoption/kennel fees. We do not have our own kennels, we house our dogs in a private kennel. Therefore our costs can be pretty high. The way I see it, we should be charging not only for adoptions but also charging dog owners who's dogs have run off and had to be kenneled in our private facility. When I brought this idea up to the power that be around here, they liked the idea, but wanted to know if any other towns and cities in MA do this type of thing. I was just wondering if anyone (even out of state) could tell me how they handle these thing.

Thanks so much!

April
Somerville Animal control
Old 05-11-2006
Almighty ACO

UCDW880 is on a distinguished road

I have that problem with the cats I pick up. Since I don't have any regulations that allow for impound fees, I deal with it by issuing a citation and listing the cost of the impoundment on my statement. If they appeal the ticket to court, the judge knows the cost to the city for her sentencing. If they choose to pay the ticket, the bond forfeiture is $90 which more than covers my impound fees.

MB
Old 05-11-2006
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

First, do a survey of all the local boarding kennels (vets, kennels, shelters) that are in your immediate area. Cold call from a NON city phone and ask, How much per dog, per cat, shots required? 24hr staff? Vet on premises? If they do adoptions How much for each type? Difference between spayed/altered and unaltered animals. Once you have this in spreadsheet form, determine what YOUR contact private facility is charging you per day.

Now, figure out your time spent on paperwork and record keeping for each animal including any intake, billing, citiations or related functions. Most likely it will run to at least 45 minutes of your time per animal.

Look at day 1 being an "Intake rate":

Cost of your time plus daiy cost from kennel plus 10%.

Look at balance of days to be "boarding rate" :

Cost of daily cost from kennel plus 10%.

Consider offering a discount for licensed, microchipped pets that get picked up first time. Kind of a "get out of jail free card"

Adoption fees - Intake day rate plus deposit for spay / neuter compliance.

There's some thoughts.
Old 05-11-2006
Giga-posting ACO

aco30l13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to aco30l13

Here in Santa Clara County we have a boarding fee for all animals that is charged daily, except when the shelter is closed. For dogs it is $22.00 per day per dog. Also we charge them a $65.00 impound fee and the time and mileage for the ACO to respond and capture the dog. We do not charge after we have put the dog in the truck.
-American Indian Proverb

After dark all cats are leopards.
-American Indian Proverb,
Old 05-11-2006
Forum Friend

NorthernACO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to NorthernACO

What Mark said

Vance Comer
NorthernACO
Old 05-11-2006
Probationary Trainee

grateful1311
Send a message via AIM to grateful1311 Send a message via Yahoo to grateful1311

thanks guys, a lot of good ideas to think about.

Old 05-12-2006
Certified Posting ACO

GJ Stuart is an unknown quantity at this point

I would work really hard to get your own kennel facility...Dealing with stray animals, you don't know what you are taking into that bording kennel. That will take some work and money

I would work on getting your city to pass an ordinance to establish the fees for kennel & impound of stray animals. We charge a $15.00 Impound fee and $10.00 a day kennel fees. So it's $25.00 the first day and $10.00 a day after that. We receipt the money here and send up a transmittal to the finance dept. We bring in an extra 3 to 5 thousand dollars a year for the city. Perhaps they would put that money in a fund for you to use at your kennel. The money we get for adoptions do go into a donation fund that is only used by Animal Control, for things we need.
Old 05-12-2006
Forum Friend

aco416iris
Send a message via MSN to aco416iris Send a message via Yahoo to aco416iris

I definatly agree about there being benefits to having your own kennel facility for the city you work at. I don't know how big your city is or what the population is but just to give you an idea what our fees are like:
1st impound --> $30.00 + board
2nd impouind--> $50.00 + board
3rd impound --> $75.00 + board
Every occurance after that is automatic citations.
Impound fees always are accompanied by a $20.00 per day boarding fee. If the situation warrants it, citations are also issued on top of the impound and board fee. Also at the time of release, dogs that do not have city licenses are sold them on the spot as well on top of the impound and board fee. Holding period here is 7days. Dogs where we know the owners have 10 days. You don't pay within that time, you don't get your dog back and you still get the bill sent in the mail.
Old 05-13-2006
Forum Friend

Michelle B.

A lot depends on the demographics of your area. You want to cover your actual costs, whatever they may may be, you want your fees to be low enough that the average person can actually afford to reclaim or adopt a pet, yet not so low that they use your facility as a cheap alternative to a private boarding kennel when they go on vacation (it's happened)! Don't forget licensing - it's probably the cheapest (and most neglected) revenue source in most animal control programs. Again, license fees should be low enough to be reasonable, but high enough that pet owners will think twice about failing to license for fear you'll come after them. Get your locals vets to help sell the licenses by giving them 25% of the value of each license.

Sounds like you're really starting from scratch. I did that once, too. Just use your common sense, start small, and build on what you know.

Michelle
Old 05-13-2006
Shelter Survivor

chumli

In MA we are limited by the fee schedule set down in the state laws unless you can get the town or city to come up with an ordinance of their own. I haven't checked it for a while, but last time I did it was woefully inadequate.

I urge you to check out the MA state laws first, so you don't get into any problems acting on your own.