ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 06-17-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

The only issue I have with fosters is that it is a bandaid and not a solution. They are great for weaning a litter, but the litter has to come back to the shelter at some point. Fostering an adult animal, why? All that will do is give temporary relief to overcrowding because that animal will also have to come back to the shelter at some point.
Old 06-17-2011
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
The only issue I have with fosters is that it is a bandaid and not a solution. They are great for weaning a litter, but the litter has to come back to the shelter at some point. Fostering an adult animal, why? All that will do is give temporary relief to overcrowding because that animal will also have to come back to the shelter at some point.
I think fosters can be helpful as long as you know your limitations. Keeping every friendly, healthy, but ugly animal around in fosters with no reasonable hope of a true adoption is not the answer; you will eventually run out of fosters, or they will take on too much and become a problem. If you have an animal that you really believe you can place if given a little more time than your shelter's policies, carefully screened fosters can help.
Old 06-17-2011
Field Operative

carrie_cat

Quote:
Why, because people who give hours of their time to care for an animal as if it were their own, people who we certify as capable of caring properly for animals, cannot be trusted to place that animal perfectly well?

Anyway, part of my point about fostering the vulnerable animals was to decrease the crowding, which is a factor in disease spread in kennels. It might be temporary relief, but it is temporary relief that usually guarantees that those foster animals will NOT get, or spread, diseases. They would be hard-hit in the crowding and stress of a shelter.

Why do y'all seem to think that what YOU think of as pretty in animals, is the sole standard? I happen to not particularly like Shar Peis, and am not crazy about bloodhounds. Yet I have coworkers and friends who would reject the same cats or dogs that I think are beautiful, or sweet, or funny.

A lot of really big, active adoption programs place animals that you might not immediately believe were likely to find homes. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder, so is pretty. I think what these programs say they do, is they aggressively market the animals ("Black Tie Cats" or "Seniors for Seniors" and so on), and they market beyond just pet supply stores and veterinary clinics.
Old 06-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie_cat View Post
Why, because people who give hours of their time to care for an animal as if it were their own, people who we certify as capable of caring properly for animals, cannot be trusted to place that animal perfectly well?
Because while in a foster home, the animal is still the property of the shelter, and they want to ensure that their standards in adopters are being met. That's why Ellen Degeneres got in trouble with the organization she adopted a dog from, then gave it to her housekeeper. There are reasons rescues reject potential adopters, and they don't want someone doing an end run around them.
Old 06-17-2011
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

It can work, of course there are always concerns about having our animals out of our custody. We get calls occasionally from rescue groups looking for their dogs that their volunteer managed to lose. I have had one volunteer take litters home to wean, and she would bring them back semi-feral because she never socialized them. I have also had problems with volunteers fostering animals who tried to give them away to people and circumvent the adoption procedures.

If I had animals out at fosters I would have to inventory them at least once a week to make sure they were still there. Also, if the foster were advertising/showing them, the adoption would still have to be processed at the shelter so that we can copy the DL of the new owner, insert the microchip and issue the spay/neuter voucher.

But then Iím back to square 1, I only have one foster available, and she is only interested in kittens.

As far as what the dog looks like, Ive been doing this since 1988, I know the uglier they are the more likely it is that somebody just can't pass it up. I also know that you can't pay people to take an adult black lab.
Old 06-17-2011

Quote:
I also know that you can't pay people to take an adult black lab.
True dat...