ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 12-29-2008
Kennel Commander

ErinKelleher is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ErinKelleher Send a message via Yahoo to ErinKelleher

i use the inside out bag method too, unless it's pretty smashed and in pieces, then i just use latex...doesn't really bother me though...after you have picked up enough of them, you get over the squishy gross factor, and resume eating lunch after picking it up
Old 12-29-2008
Field Operative

mecritterlover is on a distinguished road

Leather gloves are a no-no for us...no way to clean them and once they're contaminated, they have to be "properly" disposed of as hazardous waste...what a pain, really pi$$'s the super off too cause it's an "unnecessary" expense. I use the heavy purple latex gloves, and toss them in the bag with the deceased. Unless it's wildlife roadkill, they go in a biodegradable bag and are buried in the "designated" disposal pit...yup, that'd be my job too...
Old 12-29-2008
Kennel Commander

AC626 is on a distinguished road

I had to pick up a flattened opossum pancake last monday. It was hard to pull off, but I did. Also, have you guys heard of that new law that requires us to wear reflective vests when we are working in the street? We have to wear a green reflective vest that says "ANIMAL CONTROL" and it is really a pain when I pick up dead stuff because it gets in the way. Does anybody else have this problem?
Old 12-29-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Itís not a law here, but I have one that I wear in traffic, especially at night. I have not been able to find one with ďANIMAL CONTROLĒ on it, where do you get them?
Old 12-29-2008
Field Operative

mecritterlover is on a distinguished road

Yeah, we do the vest too...I think mine was ordered from the same company we get all our PD uniforms from, down in MA...sorry don't know the name, I just fill out a uniform request form, and a few weeks/months later, they show up on my desk! I just though it was the uniform fairy...which reminds me I still haven't got my new winter boots! Bad Fairy!
Old 12-29-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

You get footwear? If you put youíre fairy on a flight Iíll truck out to FD/W and pick him/her/it up.

I can find traffic vests with PD, crossing guard or public works on them, but I havenít found a vest or a sew on reflective placard with ANIMAL CONTROL.
Old 12-29-2008
Forum Friend

Lyra is on a distinguished road

You can order the type 2 vest through Galls. You can special order it to say Animal Control.
Old 12-29-2008
Kennel Commander

ErinKelleher is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ErinKelleher Send a message via Yahoo to ErinKelleher

i was going to suggest Gall's uniforms too...they handle a lot of the animal agencies out here...but they haven't told us to wear a reflective vest at night yet...been on swing for 2 1/2 months, and not one this was said to me, haha.

i'm just really really careful...and make sure my traffic lights are going.
Old 12-29-2008
Almighty ACO

SixbyFire is an unknown quantity at this point

I started the following thread back in July about the new federal law that requires anyone working on the right of way of a federal aid highway to wear a specific kind of reflective vest, regardless of the time of day:

http://www.acofunstop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6232

I'm somewhat of a safety freak and needless to say I was a bit bummed since it only got 31 views and no replies...

Anyway, I did a lot of research on this and spoke to many people at CALTRANS (California's DOT) and in California anyway, nearly all highways or freeways in the state get money from the federal government. This is a federal law, so it applies to any highway or freeway that receives federal money for it's operation. There is no "fine" imposed if you are not in compliance with the law, but rest assured should there be an incident, the lawyers will have a field day if you didn't have your reflective vest on.

If your area does not have any interstate freeways you might be ok, but if you have major state routes, you might want to check to see if they are funded by the federal government. If they are, the new law applies to you.

A good web site about roadway safety for first responders is: http://www.respondersafety.com/

Our department uses the Galls ANSI Class 2 break away type vest, but we did not get any extra lettering on them. The vests cost about $40 as it is without any lettering. You can get cheaper Class 2 vests, but they are not the break away style, i.e. if they get snagged on something, you might go for a ride. The vests are in each vehicle and trainees get their own (we bought extras) while they are in training so they have something to wear.

Jeff
Old 12-29-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixbyFire View Post
... they are not the break-away style; i.e. if they get snagged on something, you might go for a ride ...
Glad THAT never occurred to me ...

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)