ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 12-27-2008
Kennel Commander

AC626 is on a distinguished road
Default Picking up the dead stuff

Hey guys, I was just curious how you guys pick up your dead animals. I was taught to use the trash bag as a "glove" by putting it around the animal and scooping the animal inside the bag inside out, then to release all the air from the inside of the bag then twist the top of the bag and tie a knot. Also, what kind of gloves do you guys use? I usually use my thick leather gloves so I don't actually feel the animal as much as latex gloves do. Thank you for any input.
Old 12-27-2008
Field Operative

Laelaps is on a distinguished road

We don't pick up dead animals generally, solid waste does that. Lucky us!
Old 12-27-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

The inside out trash bag is my normal method, but sometimes there are things dangling out of the bag after you peel all of the assorted bits and pieces off of the ground, so it not 100% all the time. There is also the problem of stuff dripping out of the bag onto you’re pants/shoes before you get the bag up righted and closed.

I carry a flat point shovel in the truck all the time, and if it is not too windy, I’ll roll down the top of the bag several inches and just sit/lay it open side up, then shovel up the poor departed creature and place it in the bag. Sometimes I’ll carry a 5 gallon bucket to put the bag in.

Gloves? Much to the dismay (and disgust) of my PD (and probably several people reading this post), I don’t use any. Latex gloves will melt together in the truck during the summer, and leather will absorb blood and other bodily fluids, so I normally go a-natural.
Old 12-27-2008
Kennel Commander

AC626 is on a distinguished road

Laelaps you are one lucky Dogcatcher

Getting too old I like your shovel method but I'm not the ACO so I don't get to decide what we carry in the truck. Have you tried using thick leather gloves for the dead animal removal?
Old 12-27-2008
Almighty ACO

kgill is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kgill

I use latex gloves either way... i'm a wuss and haven't mastered the "flip the bag inside-out" method....
if it's like seriously pancaked......we leave it....
________
lamborghini lm002 specifications

Last edited by kgill; 02-10-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-27-2008
Almighty ACO

NBPD336 is on a distinguished road

One of the towns I work in the Highway Department picks up all road kill. The other town I have told them I will come out for dogs that were HBC but other than that they will have to deal with it. I have explained to them sick or injured not a problem I will come out. road kill no way.

You will not rise to the occasion, you will sink to the level of your training.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~ Mark Twain
Old 12-27-2008
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

The bag method. On the "sail cats" we have a shovel to use.
Old 12-28-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

Learning To Fly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgill View Post
if it's like seriously pancaked......we leave it....
I agree...I subscribe to the "if it has become one with the road, I let it be' point of view regarding roadkill!

“Not to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission - to be of service to them whenever they require it.”
St Francis of Assisi

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Last edited by Learning To Fly; 12-28-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-28-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC626 View Post
Laelaps you are one lucky Dogcatcher

Getting too old I like your shovel method but I'm not the ACO so I don't get to decide what we carry in the truck. Have you tried using thick leather gloves for the dead animal removal?
Actually, I have 4 pair of gloves in the truck, 3 leather and one cotton. Ain’t no way I grabbing some smelly, messy roadkill with my $50 - $100 gloves, nor the cotton gloves, but occasionally I’ll use my cheap pair of work gloves.

I’ve been doing this way too long, since Oct of 87, so the “feel” of the dead animal rarely ever gets me. I did have one chow that had been hit on the highway, right over the crest of a hill. As I was trying to get to it without becoming roadkill myself, it was hit 3 or 4 more times. Each time it went under the center of the cars, and it would roll as they passed over it, and it eventually ended up on the shoulder of the highway.

Aside from a couple of abrasions, the body was in really good shape, but when I moved it, it literally seemed that every bone in the body had been broken. There was nothing “rigid” about it, and it crunched like a bag of leaves when I moved it. That grossed me out to the point where I still remember it, but that’s about all.

I had a HBC cat on a busy roadway one day, and I used the inside out bag routine to pick up. I just grabbed it and ran off to the side of the road to finish bagging it. As I ran off the road I got tangled up the tall grass in the median. When I looked down to see what I was tangled up in, I discovered that it was not the grass, but actually the intestines of the cat dangling out of the upside down bag. That one grossed me out a little also.

I really hate getting blood or “daid dawg juice” on me, not so much because it is gross, but because it is so hard to get out of my clothing. And I smell like roadkill for the rest of the day.
Old 12-28-2008
Forum Friend

Lyra is on a distinguished road

I use the inside out bag trick whenever possible. I also carry a shovel for those that need a little extra help being removed. Funny how we all pretty much have the same idea about the ones that have become a part of the road.