ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > Welcome Wagon

Old 05-21-2011
Probationary Trainee

Concern4Dogs is on a distinguished road
Default My Eyes Have Been Opened

Hello to everyoneÖ.Iíve been out of work for a few years now due to some health issues. I recently started volunteering some of my time and skills with animals at an organization that shelters and tries to place homeless dogs.

Iíve always had a tremendous love for Godís creatures. Iím in this forum to learn more about the Shelter life, the ACOís life, and striving to protect our four legged fur-friends by giving them a voice.

I was naive about homeless, abused, and neglected animals and their population. My eyes have been opened to a disturbing aspect of life in the Canine world. I have lots of questions and have spent a great deal of time searching through the topics on these forums and also trying to study my stateís Dog Laws. I have to say that Iím no attorney, but from what I understand of our lawsÖIím troubled and disappointed.

I desire to become more educated on the welfare of our animals, if I can bear it.

Thank you to all the Professionals in this field for what you do. I know you have a challenging and dangerous job both physically and mentally! Those of you in the Animal Welfare Occupation do not get the recognition, respect, or compensation that you deserve. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart for assisting our animals in all of the ways that you do!!
Old 05-21-2011
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome aboard and thanks for the kind words!
Old 05-22-2011

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

Welcome, one thing you have to do to be well rounded is accept the negative aspects of animal behavior as well. We can't just look at the good in animals, when you stumble across photos or read a story about a dog attacking, injuring/killing we have to give that just as much attention as when dogs play with baby ducks or nurse kittens ya know, just an example...but in general we have to give just as much credit, no blind eye turned out of love for animals, they can be pretty bad as well (very rarely though )
Old 05-22-2011
Probationary Trainee

Concern4Dogs is on a distinguished road

Thank you for pointing that out to me shawnee2630. I have a lot to learn.

I'm wondering how you deal safely with a dangerous animal and what is the protocol for getting them off the streets? Is a dangerous animal allowed a holding time? How is the decision made as to what action to take against the animal and who is involved in the decision making process?
Old 05-22-2011
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concern4Dogs View Post
Thank you for pointing that out to me shawnee2630. I have a lot to learn.

I'm wondering how you deal safely with a dangerous animal and what is the protocol for getting them off the streets? Is a dangerous animal allowed a holding time? How is the decision made as to what action to take against the animal and who is involved in the decision making process?
We all have alot to learn - the day you stop learning - is the day your gonna get complacent and get hurt.....

Our protocol for dangerous animals is fairly straight forward. If the dog is onvolved in a SBI (Severe Bite Injury) then the dog is quarantined at our facility and then held untila Bonding Hearing is set.

Any dog we get in whether its from a Stray Roam Pick Up, a Stray Confined Pick Up or we just cross paths with it on the street in the course of our duties is held for 4 days. After that the dog may be temp tested and if it pass's then it may be approved for adoption.

Most Departments have Set Policies and Procedures on what to do in most case by case situations - those procedures are put in place by the administration. Obviously if questions are had by the officer on the street, you would call a supervisor for discussion and clarification.

Our department is not unlike any Police Department really. P&P rule and dictate how case's, reports, court, daily activities should be gone about. P&P dictate the use of tools used in the capture of animals and tools used in the defense of the Officer and the Public against animals and humans.
Old 05-22-2011

Njaco is on a distinguished road

In New Jersey we have the state Vicious Dog Law which categorizes into 2 options: Vicious or Potentially Dangerous.

Vicious would be a killing of a human or an injury so severe as to lose a limb or require extensive surgery / maimed for life. The ACO confines the animal and brings the charge in municipal court (its a determination hearing - not a criminal charge or fine). If dog is deemed vicious it is PTS.

Potenially Dangerous would be a severe maiming of a human, or a history of attacks or a killing or maiming of a domestic pet. The owner can hold the dog until court unless there are special circumstances. The difference with this charge is that the owner can keep the dog with conditions: A special built pen, signs, muzzles, tattoos, special tags and insurance. There is also a provision which allows a plea agreement before trial to allow the ACO to match conditions to the animal/owner. We use this alot so that owners can keep animals but also make the neighborhood safe.

The main thing is that the ACO does an investigation and really works at a good solution for all. But some cases are really brutal and it takes a fairly clear head to make a case.

As far as capturing a dangerous dog, I always tell people thats one of the easiest - you know the dog is going to come after you and you won't have to chase it which can be difficult.
Old 05-24-2011
Field Operative

carrie_cat

Well, it's encouraging, to me, that some folks do have actual protocols and programs, through which they do their work. I also work through a program, and it is important to me to know how our program is doing at any point in time -- we pay attention to the impact the program makes on animals and on the community. Unfortunately, this seems to be a novel concept to the head of my local animal control -- here, I'm sorry to say, it is truly the old "dogcatcher" culture and mindset. I am always so grateful to ACOFunstop's participants and administrators because they help remind me that there is a possibility that one day, change will come, even to where I am.