ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 06-30-2005
madeleine

Default Education

Hi,

I want to be an animal control officer, what kind of education do I need? What bachelor degree do I need? What did you choose when going to college?

Thanks

Madeleine
Old 06-30-2005
Grand Poobah Webgeek
Site Admin

A. Gianotto has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to A. Gianotto

Madeleine - that varies from department to department usually - can you tell us what city and state you're in?

R.I.P. Susan Caskey AKA "Critterfuz": April 1970 - Dec 2007.
R.I.P. Keegan Merrick AKA "RichmondACO": July 1977 - Jan 2009.

We miss you.
Old 06-30-2005

Madeleine,

In most cases there is no college required, however, if you're going up against people that have their degrees they are probably going to score higher on the tests. One thing you need more than a degree is common sense. Seems to be very rare in these times. Personally I'd rather have someone on my team with common sense then someone with a master's degree that has no concept of what is really going on.
Old 06-30-2005
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Madeleine,

In most cases there is no college required, however, if you're going up against people that have their degrees they are probably going to score higher on the tests. One thing you need more than a degree is common sense. Seems to be very rare in these times. Personally I'd rather have someone on my team with common sense then someone with a master's degree that has no concept of what is really going on.
Very true - I have asked I can't tell you how many applicants "You arrive on scene to a 160 mastiff. How do you lift it into the truck?" and gotten advanced descriptions of block & tackle, coax with food, blank stares... And in all those only had one with the common sense to say "By myself? Thats NUTS! I call for as many backup officers as I can to help lift it into the truck!" NOT A COLLEGE GRADUATE - just someone with lots of common sense. Hired the person.

And to our guest, nice answer, consider registering!
Old 06-30-2005
Probationary Trainee

madeleine

Thanks for the answers!

Well I have common sense, I think.. But having a degree would make me more qualified donít you think? The chance of getting the job you want always increases if you have a good education behind you, doensnít that apply when it comes to this profession too?

Iím from Sweden and Iím thinking about going to college in Pennsylvania and figuring out the american school-system is hard.. I have no idea on how to find a major/bachelors degree thatís similar to the ones you would take here. Maybe biology? or law? Argh I have no idea..
Old 06-30-2005
Probationary Trainee

Doggone
Default Edycation? Dear Madiline

NOT to 'down' people with a degree... no offense ment. From my experience people with degrees don't stay animal control officers. A degree, and hours and hours of book learning won't teach you this job that consists mainly of common sense and emotions. A book can't teach you to 'read' a dogs body language. This has to be done at a glance. It can't teach you how to deal with people. I can have 10 cruelties that are the same complaint, at different addresses... and each one is handled differently, because each owner is different, the way you deal with them is different. Each officer handles each case in thier own way. Truthfully... here, a degree only impresses management. But good luck with whatever you decide!
Old 06-30-2005
Administrator

Default Oops.

Double major - Political Science & English. Should have been a lawyer.... 16 years plus in animal control. Must not have enough common sense to have gone somewhere else earlier...

Careful, I don't deal well with facts... You know the bumble bee is aerodynamically and structurally unfit to fly. There is no way it should be able to fly. NO ONE HAS TOLD THE BUMBLE BEE! Lets hope they don't because if the bees catch on, no polination, no food. We all starve.
Old 06-30-2005
Grand Poobah Webgeek
Site Admin

A. Gianotto has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to A. Gianotto

Doggone - that's somewhat similar to the train of thought that people who get into the animal care/welfare field are folks that don't like people. Even though it sounds good on paper, in order to be a good animal control officer, you HAVE to be good with people. I have found that the ones that get into HLE or AC because they don't like people don't last very long. (Well, I mean we all hate people to a degree - largely for the stupid/horrible/etc things they do to animals, but you know what I mean...)

R.I.P. Susan Caskey AKA "Critterfuz": April 1970 - Dec 2007.
R.I.P. Keegan Merrick AKA "RichmondACO": July 1977 - Jan 2009.

We miss you.
Old 06-30-2005
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

Mark,

I'll try this again. That reply post on common sense was by me, Caninelaw. I was signed on and when I posted the reply it put me as "guest" (my computer does some weird things sometimes). Let's see if it happens again.
Old 06-30-2005
Administrator

Default You exist!

Worked fine that time....