Taser Y or N 11 24.44%
Stun Baton Y or N 14 31.11%
Protective Vest (BP) Y or N 31 68.89%
OC Spray Y or N 35 77.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Here is the short version of the penal code. I left the section numbers in so that you can look up the long version. You will notice that in the defense to prosecution section, ACO is not on the list, no matter what Judge or Chief of Police says they can.

Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(1) "Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument, and includes but is not limited to the following:
(A) blackjack;
(B) nightstick;
(C) mace;
(D) tomahawk.

Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

(d) It is a defense to prosecution under Subsection (a)(5) that the actor possessed a firearm or club while traveling to or from the actor's place of assignment or in the actual discharge of duties as:
(1) a member of the armed forces or national guard;
(2) a guard employed by a penal institution; or
(3) a security officer commissioned by the Texas Board of Private Investigators and Private Security Agencies if:
(A) the actor is wearing a distinctive uniform; and
(B) the firearm or club is in plain view; or
(4) Deleted by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 318, Sec. 17, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
(5) a security officer who holds a personal protection authorization under the Private Investigators and Private Security Agencies Act (Article 4413(29bb), Vernon's Texas Civil Statutes).
Old 06-22-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Um... Tomahawk? Really? Wow, I would be a wee bit freaked out if someone was threatening me with a tomahawk.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 06-22-2009
Giga-posting ACO

I though tomahawk and mace both were in the wrong category since both are (often*) edged weapons, but I didnít white the law, I only read it.

*A mace can either have blades or a heavy metal head on it.
Old 06-22-2009
Giga-posting ACO

OK, I just found out that TX House Bill #405 passed Friday, and ACOs who are trained by the new legal standards, including the new bite stick training, can now carry an ASP. Us old timers are grandfathered in when the training law was changed, so I donít exactly know how they will handle us with the new change in the law The down side is, it is for defense against animals only, so if you smack a human your still in deep poo.
Old 09-14-2009
Certified Posting ACO

UPDHampton is on a distinguished road
Default reply

I from a town of roughly 7,000 people. And Animal Control is control by the Police and I will head to the Police academy next summer after I turn 21 and animal control will be fully incorparated with the Police Dept.
I have a Dept. issue: Vest, OC spray, Bite Stick, Control Pole, Tranq. Gun, .22 rifle. And after I turn 21 in January: Handgun and Taser for people control.
Old 09-17-2009
Forum Friend

Krypto is on a distinguished road

We have a catchpole, a radio and a very intimidating glare! I'll tell you the glare radio combination gets them every time! (What? Don't make me call someone!)
Old 09-17-2009
Field Operative

NCACO2CI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to NCACO2CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee2630 View Post
We carry dept issued vest, OC spray, Expandable Baton (we are trained to use on people as well), M26 Taser (training was fun LOL), two handcuffs, fixed blade K-Bar knife.......most used...catch pole which becomes a 5ft baton if needed.
now if "catch all" understood they could advertise it as a humane capture as well a a save ur a*s pole..............I know mine has saved mine more than I care to share......lol
Old 09-20-2009
Field Operative

dishdog01 is on a distinguished road

In MI a tranq gun is by state law definition a firearm. Although I have been sent by my department for training to use the tranq. gun I refuse to carry/use it because of the afforementioned-aren't they smart. Additionally, we have no policy on the same either-which if it were being used would be good and bad. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2009
Field Operative

dishdog01 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPDHampton View Post
I from a town of roughly 7,000 people. And Animal Control is control by the Police and I will head to the Police academy next summer after I turn 21 and animal control will be fully incorparated with the Police Dept.
I have a Dept. issue: Vest, OC spray, Bite Stick, Control Pole, Tranq. Gun, .22 rifle. And after I turn 21 in January: Handgun and Taser for people control.
-amazing- I am in suburban Detroit providing service to approx 80,000 people working out of the pd (carrying only OC & a catch pole)and this cat in Kansas has all of these tools and academy at his disposal. Anyone catch my post on disparity in the ACO biz??????

Last edited by dishdog01; 09-20-2009 at 12:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-20-2009
Giga-posting ACO

One thing about a lot of equipment is itís a lot of weight and other discomfort. Out of the shower Iím 215 pounds, but when I hit the street I weigh in at a petite little 240. That includes my armor, duty belt and all the crap I have on it which does not include an ASP (yet) or firearm.

I have concealed armor, and it has tails that tuck in between the T shirt and uniform shirt. They call it ďsoftĒ armor, but that is not an accurate description, it doesnít flex very much and doesnít twist at all. With that and the tails being tucked in, it is virtually impossible to turn around to look at something without turning your whole body.

You are supposed to keep the straps tight enough to keep the front panel touching the rear panel, but when I do that, I have a little trouble breathing. It also doesnít cool very well. Iíve been in air conditioned rooms and still had to pull the top of the armor away from my body to let the heat vent out for a minute.

Between the weight, restricted breathing and heat I have had to change the way I work when I wear the armor.

When wearing the armor, there has to be a two finger gap between the bottom of the armor and your belt or it will pinch the poo out of you. I had to change out some of the cases on my belt because they clipped on instead of having a belt loop because they would pinch me between the clip and the armor.

Itís kind of a trade off when dealing with safety equipment where you have to balance between necessity and comfort. I must admit that during the summer Iím prone to not wearing the armor, however, the dispatcher did screw up a call one day and I ended up on a scene where I had no business being, and that was one day when I had chosen to not wear the armor, so I tend to wear it even when I don't want to.

Bottom line though, I do feel safer and more confident with the armor than without.