ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 10-24-2006
Provisional Posting ACO

all_4_animal_rights
Send a message via Yahoo to all_4_animal_rights
Default how o deal with the nightmares of your cases

i havent started yet but when i do wil i more that likely get nightmares and how long do they usually last
Old 10-25-2006
Almighty ACO

tomahto is an unknown quantity at this point

nightmares? I haven't had any.
Old 10-25-2006

TeddN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how o deal with the nightmares of your cases

Gee after 20 + years I've had a few but only one that repeats. Deal with it !, that is what I was told. My wife does comfort me when it happens, butover the yers not a often as it was. For the newbies, I'd suggest finding someone to talk it over with and get your feelings and emotions out. If you work for an agency with a debreifing team - use them. Good luck

Stay safe

Tedd
Palm Springs
Old 10-25-2006
Forum Friend

Bksfld A11

After my first day on my own, I couldn't sleep. I kept picturing a German Shepherd puppy in the back of my truck that I forgot to unload when I was at the shelter. I kept imagining that it'd be dead the next day without food or water as it sat in my truck in the city lot all night.

After I thought about it, I never picked up a shepherd pup that day in the first place. Just a messed up imagination, I guess.

Other than that, no nightmares.
Old 10-25-2006
Giga-posting ACO

aco30l13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to aco30l13

After a year I have only had one call that has given me nightmares. The only reason this call gave me hightmares at all was that it was at a friend/co workers house who had been murdered and I was there while the investigation was still going on and before the coroner had arrived. The nightmares lasted about 3 weeks and with a lot of help from friends, co-workers and family I was able to get past them and move on.
-American Indian Proverb

After dark all cats are leopards.
-American Indian Proverb,
Old 10-26-2006
Forum Friend

doggz109

I haven't had any nightmares yet. However, I do suffer from worrying about animals and wanting to do more than the law allows me to do.

I don't think you will have any nightmares about all the dead rotting animals to pick up, but if you do.......you might think about another line of work.
Old 10-26-2006
Almighty ACO

tomahto is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggz109
I don't think you will have any nightmares about all the dead rotting animals to pick up, but if you do.......you might think about another line of work.
I've been having fun taking pictures of the paticularly gruesome ones. I won't gross anyone out by posting them here though :P
Old 10-27-2006
Forum Friend

Bksfld A11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahto
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggz109
I've been having fun taking pictures of the paticularly gruesome ones. I won't gross anyone out by posting them here though :P

Old 10-27-2006
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

I think nightmares, and "day"mares, for that matter, are a part of any stressful life, especially a work life that involves pain and death, like ours does. I get both kinds of "mares."

The nightmares are pretty rare for me, and usually have to do with work responsibilities, like making an animal "better" or whether or not I get to an injured animal in time. They don't bother me much ... I wake up, I realize that they are not "real," I deal with the reason for them (whatever "real" thing they seem to relate to), and then they go away.

The daymares (waking concerns, initially [sometimes] valid, that repeat over and over until they become a mechanical response to a given situation) are a little more complex. I have an unpredictable, very emotional boss, and sometimes when she comes down the corridor towards me it's almost as though she's already freaking out at me: my stomach tightens up, I get this massive sick feeling, and I hear every voice in my head that's ever said I was wrong or stupid, all at once. Back when I didn't understand what made this kind of thing such a huge event, I got really worked up about it. Now that I know the Why (my physical survival once depended on making my parents look "happy," and it's a knee-jerk reaction now to have enormous anxiety about "unhappy" people), I just feel it and let it go. It sounds "New Age" or something, but it works for me (and it's made dealing with my boss a whole lot easier).

A lot of coping with this job, actually, is about knowing where the responsibility begins and ends. Are you the one who has to make everything "better "? Are you the one who has to make everyone "happy"? Other people look at ACOs and say, "Look at those terrible animal-killers." Well, ouch, but look at the truth, because we have to be educated enough, and strong enough, to look at the situation as it really is:

Animals are going to die, because people are (and have been for generations) irresponsible about them. There are way too many animals alive at this point, compared to the people who can care for them. And there are many wild animals now in WAY the wrong place at the wrong time, through no fault of their own. And many of these animals will be injured or sick or both before we see them. All of this is very tragic, truly tragic. Frankly, nightmares are appropriate under these circumstances -- the mind has to make its sense out of an Unreal reality.

Our society, all the way through history, is to blame for this situation, but it's really common, even among ACOs, to take that responsibility on, and make it OUR fault if the animal dies or gets injured or doesn't have a home. It's as though we were the literal "scape-goat," the one who takes the sin away from the rest of the people in the desert. If we euthanize the dog (because we have to do that sad and terrible task), it's somehow our fault that the dog's situation exists. And if we shirk our responsibilities (don't look hard enough for that new home or don't get tough enough fighting the anti-breed legislation or whatever), maybe it is, just that iota enough to make us feel guilty as well as sad...

But the basic fact is that our job is one of the most pure statements of love you can find. We get no job security, we have no status, we are often laughed at or hated because of our work. And yet we do it, day after day ... we risk the laughter and the hatred and the stupidity, and we do it anyway.

So, in other words, if the nightmares come, sweetheart, let them. They will not dare to hurt you. Hang in there ... and keep talking to your friends. That's the best kind of medicine against nightmares there is.

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 10-30-2006
Provisional Posting ACO

all_4_animal_rights
Send a message via Yahoo to all_4_animal_rights

thank you all so much you have helped alot thanks again