ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Upcoming Events

Old 08-21-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road
Default Scooter rally to support Maricopa County ACC

This is another local club in the Phoenix Metro area called the "Metro Phoenix Scooter club." They are not the hardcore classic bike riders like most of the clubs (like mine the Scarabs) but they love to ride and are one of the largest clubs in the area.

Glen is the head of the MPSC and spoke to me about this rally a long time ago, asking who I speak to about donating the proceeds to the County Shelter. I got permission to be at the rally in uniform which I am not sure I will do but it is a great event. Check it out.

http://www.fatcatscooter.com/view/rally

Cheers, Scooterchic

PS if you look at the raffle prizes the Buddy scooter is the best deal there. We own a Buddy scooter, a 150cc. SO MUCH fun to ride! If you are going to be in the area go to the west shelter and buy a ticket.

Old 08-22-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

How about this? Iíll send you the $10 and you buy me a ticket. If I win, then Iíll take a couple of days off, pack up the ol F150 and cruise out there to pick it up. While Iím there Iíll have to check our Joeís Real BBQ and see if it compares to Risckyís http://www.risckys.com
Old 08-22-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a plan. But if you come out here we will have to go for a ride. I will take you up South Mountain for a great view of Phoenix.

http://www.phoenix.gov/parks/hikesoth.html

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 08-23-2009
Giga-posting ACO

You have no idea how good that sounds. I have sat on a couple of bikes, but I havenít ridden one since my wreck on 2-1-06. I love mountains, and I love scenic views. Maybe one day.
Old 08-24-2009
Kennel Commander

BernCo_Geo is on a distinguished road

GL with all of that Scoot! Hope it all works out and u raise plenty of awareness and financial backing there!
Old 08-24-2009
Kennel Commander

downsouth is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey thats an awesome idea! Good to see some community support for animal control. Hope the weather is great and have a good ride.
Old 09-05-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Default I wish Istill had a bike!

Thousands of bikers to descend on Granbury

By ELIZABETH CAMPBELL

liz@star-telegram.com

"Outlaw bikers have Sturgis; Christian bikers have Granbury."

Thatís the logo printed on the T-shirt sold year-round at the Granbury Convention and Visitors Bureau, comparing the famous and rowdy secular motorcycle rally held in South Dakota each year with the Christian event scheduled in this small Texas town.

Still, Labor Day weekend will be anything but quiet at the Warriors for Christ Biker Bash Texas, which organizers say will draw at least 15,000 bikers. The biker bash will be today through Monday on the square with bands, sky diving, tightrope walking, bike blessings and church services.

Hells Angels probably wonít crash the party, and there are no wet T-shirt contests or alcohol, event organizer Lesa Kimbrow said.

"The rally is different from secular events. You can bring the whole family and not get offended," she said.

People are coming from as far away as Missouri and Florida for the rally, she added.

"Iím getting 20 calls a minute," she said.

Many churches have biker groups, and riding Harley-Davidsons is a favorite pastime for many Christians, Kimbrow said.

"There is a big shift in the biker community. The outlaws are now in the minority," she said.

Kimbrow and her husband, David, moved to Granbury about six years ago and started the Warriors for Christ motorcycle ministry, which includes an outreach ministry to inmates.

About six months ago, the Kimbrows started Warriors for Christ Biker Fellowship Church. The congregation of over 200 quickly outgrew the building it leased for worship services and now meets in a large tent bought for $600, Lesa Kimbrow said.

Warriors for Christ is raising money for a permanent building, she said.

For seven years, Granbury has been the hub for the Christian biker rally Thunder Over Texas, sponsored by Jerry Savelle Ministries. That rally will be in Australia this year, called Thunder Down Under.

"When people heard Thunder Over Texas was not going to be held in Granbury, people said, 'Youíre kidding,í " Kimbrow said.

Carolyn Kagy, marketing manager for the Granbury visitors bureau, said the hotels are mostly booked for the three-day bash. The motorcycle rally is Granburyís second-largest event, surpassed only by the July Fourth parade and fireworks on the lake, which attracts around 50,000 people, she said.

Charlie McIlvain, executive director of the visitors bureau, said last yearís Thunder Over Texas brought in $3 million to $4 million. He said he doesnít have an estimate for this yearís event.

If you go Most of the events will be on the square or in Shanley Park.

For more information, go to www.wfcbikerbashtx.com.