ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 03-22-2007
Certified Posting ACO

KeepItWegging is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should 88 year wheelchair bound couple have a Terrier dog???

I live in this apartment duplex in the San Fransico/Salinas area, and 3 doors down there's 88 year old wheelchair couple that under nursing care, offen have EMTs at their apartment because one of them or both of them have to be hauled off to the hospital. Ok, they have this 3 year old Fox Terrier. Anyhow, I never seen this dog cleaned or even walked. The couple ties this bitch outside to ther wheelchair ramp for hours on end. This dog barks non-stop and also it comes into heat every 6 months(not fixed) and they still tie it outside. Isn't there a law now that stated in California that a dog can't be tied outside more then 15 mins at a time daily? I have called the local police department about the dog. They(Police) told me I'm doing is herassing a old sickly couple and they have the rights to press charges on me. WTF!!!!!! What the hell,..They are not taking care of this freaking dog. I will amit the dog is well fed, but I never seen the dog walked or bathed! This dog stinks and don't look like wire coated Fox Terrier because it's so dirty. I even talked to mangerment about it and she thinks I'm trying take their rights to won a dog away. No! I'm worried about the dog's well being and I personally think if they can't 100% care for the dog, they should find it a more suitible home with a family!
Old 03-22-2007
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation
Default Re: Should 88 year wheelchair bound couple have a Terrier do

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItWegging
I have called the local police department about the dog. They(Police) told me I'm doing is herassing a old sickly couple a they have the rights to press charges on me.
First, take a DEEP breath. Second, work on that spelling thing. Third, try calling .... wait for it.... here it comes.... ANIMAL CONTROL... yep, local police probably don't know the laws on animal. Try the animal control agency, explain the situation (after taking the DEEP breath) and ask that they investigate the dogs welfare and conditions. Yes CA has a new tethering law. Yes 88 year old wheelchair bound people should be allowed to have dogs. Yes they have to take care of it properly. Is it licensed, is is vaccinated? Is it a nuisance? For the answers to these and other exciting questions, ask the local animal control office. I try NOT to involve police unless there is a human related crime taking place - letting them stick to their specialty.
Old 03-22-2007
Almighty ACO

tomahto is an unknown quantity at this point

and fyi, the tethering law time limit is 3 hours, not 15 minutes.
Old 03-22-2007
Giga-posting ACO

ksbirdhse is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ksbirdhse

Actually, re-reading it, the three hour thing does not really apply. Read the whole ordinance. No tethering really allowed.

~k
Old 03-22-2007
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell
Default Re: Should 88 year wheelchair bound couple have a Terrier do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kumpf
Second, work on that spelling thing.
Ahh, I feel I have a friend in my lonely task of noticing these things ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kumpf
Third, try calling .... wait for it.... here it comes.... ANIMAL CONTROL.
Maybe I like Mark so much because he reminds me of my Sgt. -- the real (Gordons) one in San Diego, not the --ahem-- other person up here. Takes me right back to the battalion. "Riiiight, lads, waaaaaiiiiiiiittttt for it ...."

We now return you to the post in progress. Ahem.

Our shelter actually has volunteers who will go to elderly folks' homes and help them take care of their dogs, so they can keep animals longer ... thereby improving the old folks' lives AND the dogs' lives. Ask your local shelter if they have something like this going on. If not, how about offering to help them yourself? Or trying to find a local church group or neighbor who could? Sometimes all it takes is an introduction.

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 03-22-2007
Almighty ACO

tomahto is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, it is written kind of funny, isn't it. under the definitions it gives a definition of "reasonable period of time" as being 3 hours or less, as decided by animal control, but in the law itself, it doesn't mention this "reasonable period of time". just says animals shall not be tethered to any stationary object. I was wondering about that. the general understanding is that it's 3 hours, though.
Old 03-23-2007
Certified Posting ACO

I also forgot to mention that there is no water or shade for the animal. It been really hot here in this area of the county. I have a huge bucket of water and dog houses (Igaloo) for my siberians,..They has have a wading pool they can play in and it's full of clean water. Did anyone didn't see I've mentioned they tie the dog out even when she's in HEAT?????
Old 03-24-2007
Forum Friend

Sassy

How about you offer to help the couple out? Offer to bath the dog, maybe ask them if they need help with transporting it to the vet to be spayed? Maybe offer to take it for a walk now and then?
Just a few suggestions.
Old 03-24-2007
Certified Posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy
How about you offer to help the couple out? Offer to bath the dog, maybe ask them if they need help with transporting it to the vet to be spayed? Maybe offer to take it for a walk now and then?
Just a few suggestions.
I've have tried and I even offered to have her fixed. They said they didn't believe in spaying or casteration. They said animals have the rights not be operated on! I tried and tried to offer them to get it fixed!
Old 03-24-2007
Probationary Trainee

aco30l8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItWegging
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy
Just a few suggestions.
I've have tried and I even offered to have her fixed. They said they didn't believe in spaying or casteration. They said animals have the rights not be operated on! I tried and tried to offer them to get it fixed!
Dont believe in "casteration" myself... I suppose they are lucky if they keep tying the dog out, and it hasnt had a bunch of litters of puppies. Sounds like you should just call and call and call and call Animal control every time they leave the dog tied up for more then 3 hours (max time allowed by law in CA). But then again, if your dogs are out eating and rolling in dead cats with maggots, they may not see you as a shining example of pet ownership, and take your advice. At least their dog isnt loose roaming the streets... There are no laws in CA that you have to walk your dog. There are no laws in CA that your dog has to smell nice. There are no laws in CA stating what is and what is not a more "suitible" family for a dog. Sounds like this dog gets to at least come in the house. If it doesnt have sufficient food, water, and shelter, or it gets entangled, then you should complain, otherwise, I agree, I think you are picking on them.