ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 10-25-2005
Probationary Trainee

Saska
Default NACA trainings

Hello,
I am interested in becoming an ACO and Naca is offering a training in my city in the summer. I have looked over some of the stuff and it seems to be geared towards police officers or people who are already involved in animal control. I have no prior animal control experience, and I am wondering if the Naca trainings are intended mostly for people with experience or for people without? I am currently in college full time with a part time job so before I invest any money in these classes, if any of you who have been through the Naca training academy have any comments or complaints about the training that you can share, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Allison
Old 10-25-2005
Shelter Survivor

Gromlich
Default NACA

NACA is a great way to obtain very useful information no matter if you are new or have 20yrs experience. Be ready to absorb alot in a couple of days. Things change from year to year and NACA and VACA keep us up to date with all the latest. Good Luck with your dreams!! What are you going to mager in?

Compassion is a gift, not a nusiance!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2005
Certified Posting ACO

BA ACO

NACA is a very good program. Level 1 is mostly geared towards new comers. It teaches you everything from animal identification, trapping techniques, to dealing with the media. And you said that it sounds like it is more for police officers, well as an animal control officer you pretty much are a police officer....just enforcing the animal laws. You will deal with the same people as police deal with, write crimal reports, and issue citations. try to do as much research as you can before you jump into this field. it takes a special person to do this job....not many people can hang. feel free to ask questions. there are many experienced officers on this board that can answer any questions you might have and give good advise. good luck.
Old 10-25-2005
Giga-posting ACO

Sunny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunny

I wish the NACA would come to Canada. There are no such courses being offered here in Ontario, Canada. It's a shame, because I would LOVE to take these courses.

Maybe my fellow Canadian's could help me out. Know of such courses be held? I have looked, but can't seem to find any
Thanks in advance.

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

You can either be the cure or the disease.
Old 10-25-2005
Probationary Trainee

Saska

I have 2 years of criminal justice, so I am planning on majoring in that along with health sciences. I plan on volunteering for the animal shelter and the police dept. next summer. I have also volunteered with the fire dept. for 5 years, I really wanted a job were I could work with animals and not be stuck behind a desk all day so I think this would be a good fit for me.
The Naca classes sound great then. I was just worried they were more for people already in the feild then for someone who wasn't. Is there anything else I can do to get a better feel for the profession or to increase my chances of getting hired?
Thanks for the replies!
Old 10-31-2005
Shelter Survivor

Gromlich
Default NACA

The more animal experience and criminal law the better. I tried for 2 years to get my first ACO job. I then went back to college tried again and got it. I started as part time. Got my foot in the door and got almost 2 years experience before I got this CAREER. I will be here until I retire, I hope. Good luck to you and dont give up. If its what you really want to do, Go for it. Go for all juristicitons around you.

Compassion is a gift, not a nusiance!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2005
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny
I wish the NACA would come to Canada. There are no such courses being offered here in Ontario, Canada. It's a shame, because I would LOVE to take these courses.

Maybe my fellow Canadian's could help me out. Know of such courses be held? I have looked, but can't seem to find any
Thanks in advance.

Sunny
Sorry, shifting to my NACA hat... I checked. There are some very restrictive rules that apply to stateside entities offering "business" style training north of the border. It would be cost prohibitive; however, join NACA and keep an eye open for classes in locales that you could travel to. There are scholarships for tuition available through a NACA scholarship program. Check out www.nacanet.org and look around. Or send me a PM and I will point you in the right direction!
Old 11-01-2005
Giga-posting ACO

Thanks Mark,

I will check out the website. Thanks again

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Old 11-02-2005
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

And if you know of any conferences in your country, clue me in. I would love to head north for a few days!

Send me the names & contact information for the organizations.
Old 11-02-2005
Giga-posting ACO

Sure will Mark,

But...don't hold your breath....We NEVER have conferences here Or I just don't know of any. Although..come to think about it..I think it is every year..in Alberta...the Law Enforcement divison..holds a week long conference, with workshops etc. I know that they have Animal Contol workshops. I was going to go, back in May..but it would have costed me $1500 Cdn. I could not afford it, so I didn't end going.

So...I guess there is some AC training, but not ALOT...like in the U.S. And not in Ontario..that I know of.

I will try to find out for you more info for you. Also..Deborah (she is Hopespringseternal) on here was the one who told me about the Workshops in Alberta...I don't how often she comes on here...but she would be the best person to talk too. You could PM her.

Sorry for me being EVERYWhere with this post....been a LONG day at work today.

Sunny