ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 11-16-2007
Shelter Survivor

dbaty is on a distinguished road

Still have not been able to catch the dog. I've tried everything.

---------------------------------------------------

Progress stops at the Cemetary.
Old 11-20-2007
Certified Posting ACO

GJ Stuart is an unknown quantity at this point

I use the dog traps with good success. Of course you need to have the bottom covered, and know where the dog is "hanging out". I prefer to make bait out of goose liver, from the store. "Goose liver balls".... dogs can't resist it! I've even laced them with drugs to catch dogs that were too afraid to go into a trap. ONLY WHEN I COULD SIT THERE AND MONITOR THE BAIT THOUGH. I've only done this with dogs I considered a high risk for causing an accident though.

I've found that eventually, every dog will "screw up" and get itself trapped where you can catch it. Being patient is the key.
Old 11-20-2007
Almighty ACO

UCDW880 is on a distinguished road

Kentucky Fried Chicken, bone in, wired to the inside of the trap. If they are able to run in, grab bait and hightail it back out, you won't catch them with a box trap. If you tie the chicken down, it helps alot. For some reason, KFC is positively magical. I tried to trap a dog for 2 1/2 weeks, then put KFC in the trap and had her in literally 30 seconds.

Also, I really like the Collarum traps.

There's a company that makes pseudo scent for training drug dogs and cadaver dogs and so on. That would be the company to get to make our "girl in a bottle" scent for dogs.

MB
Old 11-20-2007
Shelter Survivor

I have tried just about everything except KFC. The dog is smart, he know's his butt belongs to me but just won't turn it over. I did manage to catch one of the dog withs a trap but that's it. I haven't given up either.

Old 11-21-2007
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

mzk10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDW880 View Post
There's a company that makes pseudo scent for training drug dogs and cadaver dogs and so on. That would be the company to get to make our "girl in a bottle" scent for dogs.
MB
I know there is "girl in a bottle" for deer. My husband spilled some in the house once --- eeeewwww!
Old 11-21-2007
Shelter Survivor

Man I wish there was *itch in a bottle.

Old 11-22-2007
Forum Friend

C/W ACO is on a distinguished road

Our department has a policy so that I can taser dogs that are high threat/vicious and/or put citizens, myself or the dog at risk of injury; however this Blue Healer is to smart to run out in traffic or on the roadways. He always cuts through peoples backyards, and finds the smallest holes to escape through. To make it worse the area he hangs out in is on a hillside and there is lots of brush around.

I guess the fortunate thing is that I haven't had a call about the dog for almost a weak now. I'm hoping he's found someone to take him in, or he's moved on.
Old 11-22-2007
Shelter Survivor

I have four running in our city park that we can't catch. You can almost get close enough to pet and that's it. If I have my catch pole with me forget it. They are being a real nuisance to everyone at the walking track. They all have collars on and they have been running around for about 5 day's. We are running out of options.

Old 11-23-2007
Giga-posting ACO

ILUVMAXINE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ILUVMAXINE

Do you have any of those soft leashes? I've caught a couple by making a daily visit to feed them. After about three days I was able to get them to take food from my hand and and pet them. I had the leash balled up in my petting hand and while I scratch their head and they chew the treats I open my palm and the leash falls over the head. Sneaky but hey, alls fair in "catch that dog".

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-24-2007
Forum Friend

Lyra is on a distinguished road

I am so glad to hear I am not alone with an uncatchable stray. We have a Great Dane that we have been after for about three weeks now. She wont let anyone within 25 ft of her. We called traps in from county and no luck she wont go near them. Everytime we get tranq equipment out there she vanishes. She has been extremely smart staying to the open brush and trees where she can run and hide with nothing to slow her down. I can forget the daily visit to feed as she has kept herself on the move and there will be days where no one spots her. I am getting really worried about her now as she is super thin and it has been below freezing the last several days.