ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 11-07-2007
Shelter Survivor

dbaty is on a distinguished road
Unhappy I need your help!!

I have been trying to capture two small fast running terrier type dogs. As soon as they see my truck they are gone. I can get to within about 25 feet of these little fellas and that's it. They are strays and no one can get near them. I've set out live traps and they are too smart to take the bait. You name it, no matter what I bait the trap with, they still won't go in. Any suggestions?

---------------------------------------------------

Progress stops at the Cemetary.
Old 11-07-2007
Probationary Trainee

brdaco is on a distinguished road
Default An Attempt

You might try Hamberger balls with some Acepromazine inside of them to help grog them out, but this is a last resort due to the probability of affecting the urinary tract.

Don
Old 11-07-2007
Shelter Survivor

dbaty is on a distinguished road

We are not allowed in the State of Tennessee to use any drugs of that kind. We are not even allowed to use darts.

---------------------------------------------------

Progress stops at the Cemetary.
Old 11-07-2007
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

BHCZ1 is on a distinguished road

This is a tough one without being able to use chemicle capture. I know these little guys can smell our vehicles from a distance. I think that if maybe you try to not get down wind of them to get close or really clean the traps from any other smells maybe they might go in.

Are they in a residnential area? Sometimes citizans can help lure them in a closed area. or If you can run them into a yard and close the gates to secure them.

I know this sounds grose but if they are garbage dogs I have used dirty diapers to lure them, or if a male I have used a scent of a female dog in heat.

Good luck, Little ones can be tough, I have seen many poor dogs abandoned by owner in a area and they dont leave just waiting for the owner to come back. tooo sad I would love to catch these creeps of an owner.

Leah
Old 11-08-2007
Giga-posting ACO

ILUVMAXINE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ILUVMAXINE

That's a tough one, especially when the dogs have already been "chased". At this point the only thing to do is find someone, maybe the complainant who will babysit the trap for you. Bait it with something REALLY yummy. My favorite and most successful bait was fried chicken. They like the dark meat, it's greasier. Then leave the area completely. If you see the dogs do not look at them or act as though your "after" them at all. I am OCD about catching those critters. I always did, but I would do strange things like: I made a trap camoflage out of an old broken garbage can, the big city issued square ones on wheels fit over the trap perfectly. I cut off the entire front of it and laid it over the trap. Bingo! Dogs can't smell the trap, only the past history of the trash can. Dogs can't resist a free meal and they didn't even have to tip the can over. LOL. Our city has an entire trash can graveyard and let me have as many as I wanted.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-08-2007
Shelter Survivor

Bluey is on a distinguished road

Difficult one and you get these from time to time. We have used a big landing net on these guys to some effect in the past. Herd them down a street where the officer is lying in wait with the net and try to scoop them up as they go past. I managed to get 2 out of 3 chihuahuas in one swoop with this once but you have to be agile and it may take a few goes. Also heard a story about a guy using a small bolo once. Don't know if it was true or not. Ellie's suggestion about using camo on the trap also has merit. I am keen to see any other suggestions as we all face these every so often. Keep us posted on the chase
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

www.ahgs.com.au
Old 11-08-2007
Giga-posting ACO

ACO2642 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ACO2642 Send a message via Yahoo to ACO2642

My experience with dog traps has taught me alot of dogs and even cats do not like walking in the cage style traps due to the traps design. Apparently the metal wires are uncomfortable between their toes. I had a couple of instances where animals would not enter the trap (even with a porterhouse steak in it) until I put a piece of old carpeting in it. Now all my dog traps have carpeting affixed to the bottom of them, and the trigger mechanisms have been adjusted accordingly. My catch rate is now almost 100% using the traps.

Light travels faster than sound,
which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese!
Old 11-10-2007
Provisional Posting ACO

winchester78

personally i think the best way to catch a non-people dog is with another dog. maybe you can try to get a good, social shelter dog to ride-along. they may be be more likely to interact with the "bait" dog and then use your throw net or whatever you can from there. good luck
Old 01-09-2008

TOPDOG2E is on a distinguished road

NET GUN OR A DART GUN IF THEY CAN RUN FAST THAN A DART THEN THEY DESERVE FREEDOM