ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 01-06-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road
Default Rabies vaccs and pregnant dogs

OK so I go to a house last night for a license violation. When we have nothing to do we follow up on warnings we issued to make sure people have gotten there rabies vaccinations and received there county license. A I arrive the son says go talk to his mom about something about going to court and taking care of it. I have no idea what he is talking about. Anyway after his mom vented her spleen on me about harassing her and she was going to call the cops. I hoped she would only because they would be on my side. My FTO came out and tried to calm her down. She was just asking for the cite. With in this time she finally yelled between shouting at the neighbors and crying to her grandkids to call 911, that the judge gave her 60 days to get the pitbull vaccinated AFTER she has her babies. Of course she had no proof of this and I wanted to cite her because she was being a crazy out of control B*tch! My FTO said we are not going to cite her but give her another 30 day warning to get the dog vaccinated based off of the lack of proof of forgiveness the Judge gave her. She said she tried to get the dog vaccinated but nobody would do it and her friends aunt who works for Humane society( yeah right, if she did she would have TOLD you to get the dogs vaccs a LONG time ago) said it could cause damage to the pups if she did and did not suggest it. Now after you read about my frustrating night my question is, can a rabies vaccs cause health issues in unborn pups? I was trained that there is no proof that any damage is done. They claim there vet said it does. Whats the deal? Can I PLEASE go back and cite her!

Cheers, scooterchic

Old 01-06-2008
Giga-posting ACO

ILUVMAXINE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ILUVMAXINE

Sorry, but a veterinarian will not vaccinate a pregnant or lactating bitch. However, why is she breeding an unvaccinated animal in the first place? Your law probably says that the bitch should have been vaccinated when it was 3 or 4 months old so you can cite her for failing to comply before now. If she didn't vaccinate for rabies what are the odds that she vaccinated for parvo/distemper? And without them you will have a litter of pups that will be at high risk for disease since the dam won't be passing on any immunity in her milk.
Old 01-07-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Welcome to South Phoenix!!! People don't get it. If this person loved there "pure breed" pit bull (not a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, she is a mix but did not want to burst his bubble) so damn much AND had papers on her, why would they let her run loose, get pregnant and chase the postmen resulting in me coming to cite her? It is a vicious circle. I can bet my Stella (the green scoot below) that that dog has never seen a Vet once in her life. I bet my Mastiff that the son who claims they have an aunt who works at the Humane Society does not even know what the f*&k parvo is! This is an on going situation that I CANT wait to go back and cite her, not once but twice. I will be back in 30 days the cite. With my Sarge and maybe PD so I don't get shot...That would suck. I want to kick my FTO for letting her get away with it..... whatever, I will win.

So, does it matter if the virus in vaccs in killed or not? Why is it such a danger?

Thanks for your help Maxine.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 01-07-2008
Forum Friend

C/W ACO is on a distinguished road

ILUVMAXINE is right. Vets will not vaccinate dogs in such conditions. However you should check your ordinance, because you still may be albe to cite her, and if she did get a stay from the "judge" then she can argue it in court before the "judge".

My ordinance states that all dogs 6 months and older are required to be rabies vaccinated. Along with that; all dogs 6 months and older, and a resident for 30 or more days are required to be licensed.

As for the killed vs. non-killed vaccination I'm not sure. From my understanding most vets use a killed virus. I couldn't tell you why at the moment, because the reasoning escapes me.
Old 01-07-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Yeah I am going to cite her when I know she does not get the vaccs in the 30 day window my FTO gave her. I was upset that he did not cite her or let me. I did not do my job as far as I was concerned.

Anyway, is there a reason for not giving the vaccs? What will the vaccs do to the pups?

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 01-08-2008
Certified Posting ACO

Specialk281 is on a distinguished road

Well the Distemper/Parvo vac that we adminster and that most vets use is a semi live virus as it aids in the puppy building immunity quickly.

Regarding the rabies, the puppies here must be at least 4 months of age prior to receiving the rabies vac.

Can a Pregnant Pet be Vaccinated?

It is important that live vaccines (see above) NOT be used in pregnant pets. This is because a modified virus that will not cause illness in the mother, may still be strong enough to infect the unborn puppies or kittens. Killed vaccines may be given during pregnancy although as a general rule it is best not to give any medical treatments during pregnancy if it can be avoided. While killed vaccines are commonly given to large animals and food animals, it is not routine for dogs or cats.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=524

Some Gave All, All Gave Some, Remember Those That Served!!!

Support Our Troops!!!

If you want your post read, please show you care by taking the time to spell check it!
Old 01-08-2008
Almighty ACO

NBPD336 is on a distinguished road

I hope the conversation between you and your FTO about whether or not to cite her was private and not in front of her. I hate it when you decide to do something and the OIC undermines you. Doesnt really make you "look" to good.

You will not rise to the occasion, you will sink to the level of your training.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~ Mark Twain
Old 01-08-2008
Forum Friend

C/W ACO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchic View Post
Yeah I am going to cite her when I know she does not get the vaccs in the 30 day window my FTO gave her. I was upset that he did not cite her or let me. I did not do my job as far as I was concerned.

Anyway, is there a reason for not giving the vaccs? What will the vaccs do to the pups?

Cheers, Scooterchic

My partner taught me that it's ok to give breaks and/or extentions because many times the person will repeat the offense again, and in the end you'll get your man...or should I say dog. Just be patient. If she hasn't got the license by now she probably won't get it at all. She's figures you won't be back, but when you return she'll be in for a surprise.

I can't even recall how many times I've given a break to someone, and later on they violated again and they got a coupen (ticket). Sometimes it's only a matter of days, and sometimes it's months but I eventually get my "dog".
Old 01-08-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

BHCZ1 is on a distinguished road

The good thing Scooterchic By giving them breaks so to speak. You are setting up a case for the prosecutors and judge. You see it looks real bad on them when they have been given a chance and didnt make good. I have seen this many times infact the prosecutor used to love my cases. He could really dramatize the fact to the judge if need be. So as C/W ACO says you will get your man in the end. And normally a larger fine.

Leah
Old 01-08-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBPD336 View Post
I hope the conversation between you and your FTO about whether or not to cite her was private and not in front of her. I hate it when you decide to do something and the OIC undermines you. Doesnt really make you "look" to good.
Of course. The Lady did not know I was there to cite her.

Cheers, Scooterchic