ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 08-26-2008
Certified Posting ACO

cheetahrain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Low Cost Spay neuter Clinics

How do you Invite one to come to your city? Who would you contact? Local Vets? Vet School? Private company; person; Vet;
Non Profit? Business? What has worked elsewhere and how did you do it.
Do they compete with local Vets? Has that been a problem? Can they work together? Where to start?!?!
Comments Suggestions welcome.
Old 08-26-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

We worked with one, texasforthem.org for over two years, and It was the greatest thing I have been involved with since becoming an ACO. They were in business and going to another shelter when My Commander got in contact with them, then we invited to our facility once every other month. Another facility 2.5 miles down the road came out to observe, and they were so impressed they invited them out on the odd months, so one of us had them out every month.

Unfortunately finding staff that was willing to travel as much as 100 miles every day got to be too much for them, so they got a grant from PetSmart and opened a clinic about 20 miles from my facility.

We did have a conflict with our contract vet though. We were trying to get some kind of a price break, and the vet asked us why we didn’t just go to the vet who was doing the clinics for us. In the city where the original clinic was based, they had problems with some of the local vets because they were sterilizing male cats for $25, female cats for $35 and the highest price on the list is $60 for a female dog over 50 pounds, and full shot packages for $20 & $25.
Old 08-27-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

BHCZ1 is on a distinguished road

We have a mobile clinic that comes about 2 times a year. They also host rabies clnic one day while they are here.. At first I was concerned about our Vets but we have such a high demand for vets they welcomed the assistance . The mobile clinic is from Flaggstaff AZ its called Platueland.

Leah
Old 08-28-2008
Kennel Commander

BernCo_Geo is on a distinguished road

We have a S.N.A.P. Spay Nueter Animal Program. Just for our County residents. A list of participating Vets allow a vouture to Sterilyze the dog or cat and rabbies vacination and also takes care of the license. All this for low income families. There are alot of programs here for all NM residents who can take advantage of them. People donate money to them. They advertise that a clinic is going on.
Old 08-28-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Do the vets actually honor the coupons? We used to use the SNYP, Spay Neuter You’re Pet, but the vets got to where they would not honor the coupon at face value, but instead give the client a 10% discount. The coupon says they will spay a cat for $35, but when the client actually tried to use it, it came out closer to $135
Old 08-28-2008
Kennel Commander

BernCo_Geo is on a distinguished road

It will only cover the cost of rabbies shot and sterylization of the animal. Anything past that falls back on the owner.
Old 08-28-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

I used to be kind of shocked when my vet would go on a rant about how much he hated his own profession, that the average vet was a money-grubbing weasel. Not so much shocked any more. I know so many fine, wonderful veterinarians, but I have heard so many horror stories about that kind of money-money-money thing too. I guess, like everyone else, they're getting squeezed paying malpractice insurance and rent and doubling their staff wages to keep up with housing and energy costs ...

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 08-29-2008
Giga-posting ACO

ILUVMAXINE is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ILUVMAXINE

Here our local veterinarians meet once a month. Outsiders, such as we, are allowed to attend this meeting. We had a guy who went and got them all to agree to price they could live with. Then this guy went to the County and City governments and applied for grants. He called it the Free spay and neuter program (FSNP) With the grant money he issued vouchers for FREE spay and neuter. When the voucher was used, the veterinarian only had to return it with his bill for payment to FSNP. It worked okay but the downfall was that the funds ran out pretty quickly and anyone was eligible to get a voucher (didn't have to be low income). This year he didn't get any grant money so the only game in town is our local SNAP, for whom you must qualify as low income and pay a small co-pay of between $10 and $25. Still not bad and they stay busy. They too use various local veterinarians who wish to participate.
Old 08-29-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

We have a program called "Uno por Uno". For a month to two months we have heavy enforcement and other programs in the biggest problem zip code. Some of the programs we have include free vaccinations, free spay and neuter, low cost adoptions and education. We have had the program running for two years and it has proven to work well. We also offer a voucher program for free spay and neuter. You send in the cost of what the license and rabies vaccs, pick a vet from the list, take your voucher to them and bam! Rover is fixed. It has proven to have worked really well. Here is the links to the info.

http://www.maricopa.gov/pr_detail.aspx?releaseID=910

MCACC Receives Award

Every year, NACo (National Association of Counties) presents awards to county officials, employees and the counties for being creative and imaginative. NACo represents county governments in the United States, helping them find and share in innovative solutions. One such award is the Achievement Award, which recognizes unique, innovative county programs.

Maricopa County Animal Care and Control (MCACC) is honored to receive NACo’s Achievement Award for it’s Uno por Uno program, a culturally sensitive campaign addressing the needs of under-served neighborhoods in Maricopa County, serving families and their pets. Uno por Uno offers free-or low-cost spay/neuter services, rabies vaccination clinics, license clinics and education on a frequent and repetitive basis throughout one neighborhood.

Dr. Rodrigo Silva, MCACC’s Director is happy the program is getting recognition. “We are honored by this award as it highlights it's innovative and effective approach to community problems. Uno por Uno addresses animal issues in a proactive manner, taking in consideration community, owners and animal needs.”

Neighborhoods identified as at risk or under-served are selected for this program. These are areas with a high number of dogs running loose and a low licensing compliance. They also show a high incidence of bites, and large number of impounded animals. Dogs that come from these areas also tend to have a high euthanasia rate when reaching the shelter.

MCACC is taking a more proactive approach to safeguard public health and safety and to save the lives of more pets. MCACC is changing the culture of pet ownership in Maricopa County through initiatives like Uno por Uno. MCACC is providing direct services and educating pet owners one-on-one about responsible pet ownership, spaying and neutering, the leash law, the importance of pet vaccinations, and dog licensing.

The new Uno por Uno will be maintained year round, bringing services to the neediest areas of the County. Our goal is to reduce intake, eliminate euthanasia, reduce bites, and increase rabies vaccination and license compliance.

http://www.maricopa.gov/pr_detail.aspx?releaseID=903

Voucher Program Taking Off

Maricopa County Animal Care and Control (MCACC) is trying to fix the pet overpopulation problem one dog and cat at a time. With the onset of the Big Fix Spay/Neuter Voucher program (free spay/neuter surgeries for County resident’s dogs and cats) in May 2006, the program has been on a roll. The first year of the program, 1798 vouchers were issued for surgery. This last year, the program really took off with 11,000 vouchers issued. With a more than 75% redemption rate, that’s well over 8,000 surgeries performed, leading to fewer unwanted animals.

Dr. Rodrigo Silva, MCACC’s Director, believes the program can help to solve the overpopulation problem. “Pet homelessness requires a proactive, preventive approach. We cannot adopt enough animals to get rid of this problem. It is by reducing the number of unwanted and unplanned litters that we will be able to reduce the number of animals coming through our shelters. Spay and neuter is critical to achieve this goal.”

The process is very simple. You fill out an application for the surgery. MCACC processes the information and in about 2 weeks, sends you a voucher with the list of the participating veterinarians (over 30 around the valley). You have 90 days, from the date of issue, to schedule a sterilization appointment with one the veterinarians on the list. MCACC will pay for the surgery with donations received.

The Big Fix Spay/Neuter Voucher Program is made possible due to the financial assistance of Friends of Animal Care and Control (FACC's). FACC's is a non-profit, 501 (c)(3) organization that raises money to support MCACC's special programs, including the Big Fix. The Big Fix program is funded entirely by contributions; tax deductible donations supporting the spay/neuter of animals in our community, can be sent to FACC's at P.O. Box 80739, Phoenix AZ 85060-0739. For more information on donating to the Big Fix, call 602-840-2843.

The Big Fix application can be downloaded from MCACC’s web site at www.pets.maricopa.gov or is available at either of their Animal Care Centers:

2500 S. 27th Avenue, Phoenix 85009

2630 W. 8th Street, Mesa 85201

And the general page.

www.pets.maricopa.gov

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 08-29-2008
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

In NJ, we have a state neuter program for low income and shelter adoption animals. The shelter must be registered with the State and the veterinarians participating in the program must also register. We (vets.) charge the client $10 for low income or $20 for the shelter adoption; we send the money to the state and the state pays us about $100 for male cat; more for the other groups according to weight and type of surgery. This is less than I normally charge but in the name of getting animals neutered, a cut in profit is not that bad.

As far as vets. making a lot of money, most of us are in debt for years. At the time I bought my practice 4 years ago, I owed a half a million dollars between my practice debts and my personal debts. Last year, my gross income after paying my bills was about $43,000, which is less than I made as an employee. If everything goes according to plan, I can squeak by on that money but when equipment starts to break down or I need emergency repairs for my home, it becomes a challenge. So money is not everything but we do have to make something.

As far as vets. seeing the spay/neuter clinics as a threat, I did in the beginning until I saw that I was making more money on days that I did not do surgeries than on the days that I did. If I keep my prices down so as to complete with these low costs clinics, the time that I spent on surgery could have been used to see between 2-4 appointments depending on the surgery so more money was made in appointments than surgery. I really don't see it as a threat.

Last edited by DRNEGRIN6; 08-29-2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: hit return too soon.