ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > Welcome Wagon

Old 08-20-2008
Kennel Commander

AC626 is on a distinguished road
Default Hi from Los Angeles County

Hello, I am 14 years old and interested in a future career with animal control as an ACO. i am currently in the background investigations process with a local PD's animal control bureau to serve as a volunteer. As a volunteer I will assist the ACO and the AC Supervisor out in the field and back at the station. I have been on two ride alongs with the ACO and I enjoyed them both! Yesterday was my 2nd ride along but I got some training.

Yesterday I captured my first dog using the "come along" pole. I also learned how to fill out the reports when we turn over our captured animals to the local Humane Society. I got fitted for my AC uniform at the uniform shop yesterday as well. I will be offical when my fingerprint results get back to the PD. I am very excited.
Old 08-20-2008
Giga-posting ACO

ksbirdhse is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to ksbirdhse

Wow!

How cool is that. Way to take control of your future. You know, there are some really good free online courses that you could take to further your career. You get certificates of completion for some of them, and they will really "impress the boss". Yell if you want links to them.

At 14 I volunteered for my local vet hospital. Mind you, that was years and years and years ago. The vet I worked with was afraid of horses and livestock, and used to let me do stuff that today I would NEVER have gotten to do, because of how lawsuit happy our society is.

Make sure to study hard in school. To really get far as a humane investigator you need lots of training in both criminal justice and animal sciences.

Good luck. Make sure to post.

~Kerri
Old 08-20-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

At 14 I had absolutely no clue what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. For that matter, at 41 I still hadnít figured it out.

Keep with it, there are many different avenues in the animal related industries, and it can be a rewarding career.
Old 08-20-2008
Kennel Commander

Thanks for the welcome, yes I would like links to those sites.
Old 08-20-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome! Nice to see some so young on the boards asking questions and getting ready for a career in the funnest line of work you can do.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 08-21-2008
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

Welcome to the boards! Please feel free to ask for advice here. Many of the ACOs have been in the field for a long time and frankly, hearing that someone at 14 wants to "grow up to be an animal control officer" is one of the most heartening things I have heard lately.

Mark
Old 08-21-2008
Forum Friend

boxermomma is on a distinguished road
Smile

Welcome! I agree with Mark, it is great to see someone planning for their future in any animal related industry. You should get a ton of information from the members of this group! I myself started working for a veterinarian when I was 14 years old. And here I am... 25 years later... It's great that you found a group that will allow you such a hands on look at this occupation. Good Luck to you!

Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain
Old 08-21-2008
Kennel Commander

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I also look forward to a long career in the field.
Old 08-22-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Ok,

This course used to be free, but now it costs $10.00. Still, not bad, and I liked it. When I took it you could print a lot of the stuff out, too.

Anyways... It is kinda fun, and it is one I recommend for Postal Carriers who have no access to training.

http://www.humanesocietyu.org/worksh...revention.html

Dog Bite Prevention for Law Enforcement and Other First Responders

Humane Law Enforcement
Ongoing
Tuition $10

Developed by Randall Lockwood, Ph.D.
This course will enable personnel to recognize and respond to hazardous situations associated with dangerous or potentially dangerous dogs. Students will learn about tools, techniques, and equipment that can be used to repel or handle aggressive animals. They will also become familiar with illegal practices associated with greater risk of dog attack (e.g. dogfighting) and dog bite prevention resources that can be part of a larger program promoting public health and safety.
Old 08-22-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Here is another REALLY IMPORTANT set of videos for ANY LEO's.

http://www.ada.gov/policevideo/polic...andgallery.htm

There is a series of 8 Videos. They are only about 5 minutes long each. Learn this stuff now, so that you are sure not to violate the ADA while helping the citizens of your community. No certificate, but still information you need to have.