ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > Welcome Wagon

Old 03-06-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

About 6 months before the wreck I had gotten really safety conscious. So I was wrapped from head to toe in leather and high abrasion nylon. The pants had CE armor in them when I bought them, ant three days before the wreck I had upgraded the jacket from foam to CE armor. As a result, I walked out of the ER with a broken collar bone and a concussion, no cuts, no abrasions and the only bruise developed a couple of days later on my right chest near the broken bone.

That particular section of road is posted as 35 MPH, everybody flows through there @ 40 45, but I was running late (going to church of all places) so I had to be doing 60+ when I suddenly ran out of room. I remember clipping the truck, and the bike turning sideways in the road. I thought I was stopped, but the next thing I knew I was on a backboard, in a neck brace, and in an ambulance. The paramedic was a guy that works with the youth at my church, so my first conscious memory was looking up into his smiling face and him saying OK, do you know who I am now?

As it turns out, from the point I thought I was stopped, I actually did a cartwheel or two, then ended up 100 down the road.

I did find out one thing after the fact. I have always worn Snell rated helmets because I want the best protection available. However, to get a Snell rating, it has to survive EXTREME punishment, which means it has to be a VERY sturdy construction. That also means it will transfer more shock to your head than a DOT helmet. So my concussion may not have been as bad had I opted for the DOT as opposed to the Snell.
Old 03-07-2009
Provisional Posting ACO

2057 is on a distinguished road

Back in the day I had an 82 Virago 920, I never laid it down, fortunately. I road it out from Dallas to Sweet Water going through Cleburne on the way out making a big circle if you will, coming back through Ft Worth. I only did that once. Boy was my butt numb.

I can see from the description of the accident, that it could have been a lot worse than what you suffered. And that's good to know about the Snell rating. I didn't know that.
Old 03-07-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

I was never into long distance riding, I did some from Bedford to Grand Saline, out one day and back the next, 100 miles each way. I took my KZ1000from here to Denton and back on night. The closest I have made to a road trip was from here to Waco and back in one day on a KZ650. About halfway we started getting the numb butt and I was moving around all over the seat or standing up on the pegs trying to get some relief.

Now Scooter on the other hand was to make an around the US tour.
http://www.acofunstop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452
Old 03-07-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
I was never into long distance riding, I did some from Bedford to Grand Saline, out one day and back the next, 100 miles each way. I took my KZ1000from here to Denton and back on night. The closest I have made to a road trip was from here to Waco and back in one day on a KZ650. About halfway we started getting the numb butt and I was moving around all over the seat or standing up on the pegs trying to get some relief.

Now Scooter on the other hand was to make an around the US tour.
http://www.acofunstop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452
Given the time and money I would do it in a heart beat.

Cheers, Scooterchic