ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 08-08-2005
Probationary Trainee

Scott
Default State Certification

I am looking for information at the request of the Iowa/Nebraska Animal Care and Control Association regarding state certification of Animal Control/Humane Officers, Animal Wardens, etc. If your state has either mandatory or optional certification of ACO's, or your state association is looking into it, looking for information on training curriculums, certification oversight, and what steps you had to go through with what legislative offices or police offices to get it passed. Any help is appreciated. You can respond on the board or directly to me at swilson@hsus.org.
Thanks.
Old 08-12-2005
Certified Posting ACO

jimbo

Hello Scott. Here in Texas our certifying agency TACA, is trying to rally support in our State Legislature to require that Animal Control Officers be certified. Incidentally, State Law here does require anyone who routinely does euthanasia to be a Certified Euthanasia Technician. I think it is a step in the right direction, actually it is something that has been needed for a very long time. There are smaller organizations who can not spend money on anything more that what is required.

I find it very peculiar though that the very same year that it becomes State Law for me to be certified in euthanasia, the TACA certification that I currently hold is no longer recognized; and I must complete a new curriculuum that HSUS provides. I was shocked that my state agency, TACA stopped doing any education on the subject; and recognized the HSUS course with their new certification. What's really going on (hidden agenda wise)? I do wish you luck in your endeavor, I just wonder if you may be more interested in selling some classes than in helping the good folks at that state agency. The animals' welfare in that great state is paramount to everything of course.
Old 08-12-2005
Field Operative

ACO in Greenville,TX is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually you don't have to attend a HSUS certification class in Texas. They just offer more of them than any others. We recieved our certifications from two guys from Denton Animal Control. They teach a state certified euthanasia class. It's inexpensive and they really did a great job. I really enjoyed the class.

Also I believe the SPCA offers a class. You might contact them and see.
Old 08-12-2005
Certified Posting ACO

jimbo

Yes sir you are correct. I also received my recent certification from Denton. HSUS formulated the curiculuum, it is a good curiculuum; I just don't understand why TACA would stop educating instead of increasing their role. I resent HSUS "investigating complaints" against Denton. HSUS operates a few magazines, and collects donations. They do a few spay neuter clinics. I think those are excellent things to do.

I think they have no business harassing Denton, or questioning the quality of their classes. I recently received a "survey" concerning the quality of the course that I took in Denton. I wonder how they even knew that I took a course in Denton? HSUS is great, however they tend to be leftist in their views, which has it's place. I just want there to be seperation between humaniac views, and Law Enforcement.

I happen to consider myself the later. People have the right to be treated with fairness and dignity. They have rights that are guaranteed under the Constitution of The United States, and I think those rights come before almost everything else. A few other do not!