ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > General Chat

Old 06-07-2009

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road
Question Dogsbite.org

Hey guys and gals out there, do any of you check out the web site Dogsbite.org?? If so, tell me what you think about it. If not please check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks
Old 06-07-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Well, if they would forget about the Bull Sh** Legislation and push for legislation based on the actions of the animal/owner, then I might think it was worth while.
Old 06-07-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

I hate it. It is not the breed, it is the owner.

I had a St Barnard bite a 12 year old in the face resulting in 97 stitches. This dog literally almost bite the child's face off. But this web site does not care about this dog incident cause it is not a Pit bull. The child was hanging out at his friends house, no adult supervision. The adults heard a scream inside the house and saw the child bleeding everywhere. Like a said at the top of my post, it is not the breed, it is the owner.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 06-07-2009
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooterchic View Post
I hate it. It is not the breed, it is the owner.
Sometimes it's not the owner or the breed, just the individual dog. Had one yesterday, 47 pound boxer / JRT mix just went off on the owner and she ended up hospitalized with several bite lacerations down to the bone on her arms.
Old 06-07-2009
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caninelaw View Post
Sometimes it's not the owner or the breed, just the individual dog.

And sometimes it is the situation the dog is in at the time. My own dog when she was about 2 years old, attacked me when I was sleeping on the sofa. I was a vet. student at the time. I rolled over and did not know that the dog had crawled onto the sofa with me. I knocked her off the sofa; she went for my neck as I slept. I was lucky in the sense that she growled as she attacked. I heard the growl and grabbed her first before she grabbed me.

I took her to the veterinary school's behaviorist who stated that she had to be euthanized due to aggression. I was able to train her to accept me and my family but no outsiders. She is a great guard dog; she prevented a burglary of my home 7 years ago. She is now 14 years old with a heart condition but she is as spunky as ever.

So, it's the individual dog and the circumstances that the dog is in at the time of the attack. I speak to the health officers/prosecutors about this when they are trying to label a dog as dangerous. I'll often observe the dogs under different circumstances to see how they respond. If it is a shelter animal, I'll observe to see how the dog reacts to different people. (Of course, I have an ACO watching in case the dog turns on me!) I try not to go into those types of situations alone.
Old 06-08-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

I know Iíve posted this before, but I still think itís a good way to ďhumanizeĒ bsl.

The majority of old west gunfighters had blue eyes, so by applying bsl standards, blue eyed people should not be allowed to own guns.
Old 06-08-2009
Kennel Commander

There'sgottabeabetterway is on a distinguished road

The only thing I saw on that site worth 2 cents is the staying safe page.

One, if not the worst, excluding the two human victims that were killed by, yes, I hate to admit this, Pits, was a 9 year old spayed female Dobe (house pet) that chewed up her 16 month old human sister. Mom was folding laundry in the living room, the dog was laying in her "special place" (a braided rug in front of the sliding glass door) and the toddler was doing what toddlers do. Mom left the room to put the folded laundry away in a bedroom and left the toddler and dog unattended. We can only assume that the toddler approached the dog in an "aggressive" manner and the dog reacted to the threat. It was horrific, this beautiful baby underwent 5 hours of surgery and over 250 of the tiniest sutures I have ever seen.

If the media had gotten a hold of this, the headlines would have twisted this into the dog mauling the innocent child. Truth is that Mom screwed up, she's just lucky that the baby survived.

We have had two humans killed by Pits in our county within the past 10 years, one was a 3 year old girl that wandered into her aunts backyard with 5chained Pits. Mom was in the house doing something more important than watching her child. I so wanted her (the mother) to be charged criminally. The dogs were "pitted" and all displayed evidence of fighting. Two of the dogs managed to grasp the child, one crushed her skull.
The other was an adult woman that owned two recently neutered Pits. The dogs were recently neutered after the dog owner wanted her Vet to euthanize them, due to aggressive behavior towards each other and other animals. The Vet talked her out of euthanasia and opted to neuter them instead. The Vet's Tech provided a written statement. The dogs were involved in a fence fight with neighboring dogs and the dog owner attempted to stop the fight, both dogs turned on her and her son when he came to her rescue. She was knocked to the ground or fell and the dogs killed her, her son was bitten numerous times as he attempted to pull the dogs off of his mother.

We are the superior beings and until we start to act as such, incidents like these will continue.

If I were to pick a on breed for it's aggressive tendencies, I would say that Dals are notorious face biters, but again the superior beings usually aren't acting superior.
Old 12-05-2010
Forum Friend

1xOscar88 is on a distinguished road
I found the site dogsbite.org this evening, and came here to see how you all felt about it. I read all 13 pages of heated discussion. Thank you all in advance, for your input.

Having been called to the scene of a fatal child mauling. I can say the mental image I carry around is something I, to this day, have nightmares about. The shocked expression of the owners who could only say their dog "has never done this before" made me sick. Their baby girl lay in pieces in the yard and that's all they could say?

I have been on 2 calls where I had to do everything humanly possible to get the attacking dog off the other officer. (1 Chow, 1 Pitt). Both officers were medically retired.

My personal responsibility was to not bring large breed dogs with a propensity to bite in the home around my young children, who, when they bite, have a greater potential to kill. LIkewise, we did not get an Italian Greyhound that my wife has begged for, because the chance for it being severely injured, or getting a broken leg, is relatively high with 2 rowdy boys and a baby in home.

This senario had not been addressed in the prior posts. All have either been animal at large in the neighborhood, or person wander into their yard.

My wife just completed a heated debate regarding a person making an inquiry on another message board, who live full time on the road in a camper, of what percentage of campgrounds would NOT accept them if they brought in a pittbull. They made it known right off that they didn't care to hear any lecture, but they loved the breed and wanted to get "a few" as traveling companions. Being we own a small seasonal campground and have ACO knowledge, we believed the information would be appreciated. It wasn't.

The board quickly tried to conclude that "misguided, freaked out campground owners", fueled by the media was to blame for all their restricted liberties. When in fact our insurance dictates what we can and can't allow. Other things are as clearly written, such as NO open campfires in the spaces, and the number of vehicles allowed per space. Our policy states we can not own a dog of any kind, as park owners! We are trying to protect our investment, not be biast.

Several chimed in, "Thanks, we'll just camp at Wal Mart Parking lots, if we aren't welcomed!" (I see future lawsuits here!!!!)

Sorry, this post has become long winded.

The bottom line is the responsibility of the owner, and their unwillingness to at the VERY LEAST provide additional insurance for their liability, if they so choose to travel with animals that may cause this amount of damage.

Instead they try to skirt the law by stating that it is a work animal, not a pet, and would be discrimination if we refused to let them in. (Upon further questioning, they say, "it's a companion for our only child".) That equals a work animal?!?!?!

Being that 99.9% of the customers we see are transient, transitional, migratory, seasonally employed, or have chosen the full time freestyling lifestyle, to arbitrarily believe that taking a large breed into an unfamiliar/ unknown surrounding daily has no risks, seems foolhardy.

Since they didn't want to "hear stories", or rants, it was nice to just give them the dogsbite web site and say, "x amount wont let you in to their park", and "here are some gathered statistics."
Thanks for listening!
Old 12-05-2010

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

Not alot of people are aware of this website due to it is the only one for pit bull attack victims. I stayed away for over a year until last week I had a student doing a documentary on Pit Bull advocates vs. against...due to my experience with them (owner, attack victim, ACO, pit bull area committee member, etc.) they put her with me (she is also dealing with rescues and general public) I went back on the site and read about 6 fatal attacks in a week in late November bthis year. It was shocking as usual with what I see there. The bottom line is that you can't grab one story and say they are all bad, just like you can't show one picture of a pit with a baby and say they are all good. I applaud you for directing them to it though, I think that site is a huge eye opener for pit owners/potential owners and while some may think that is extreme think back to drivers ed...are we all gonna die in a traffic accident?? no, but you better know what potential may be there and take necessary precautions to prevent it. Like I wrote above, it seems some are overly defensive and won't hear constructive reason no matter what. That's with all things though, just the way people are now a days "if you don't tell me what I want to hear, you must be wrong"
Old 01-05-2011
Provisional Posting ACO

gorillamel is on a distinguished road

I admittedly only perused the website, but some of the statistics made me wonder a bit as to how certifiably valid they are. For example:

"33 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2010. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 500 U.S. cities, pit bulls led these attacks accounting for 67% (22). Pit bulls make up approximately 5% of the total U.S. dog population.2"

I looked up the footnote, which was a statistical engine for animal shelters. What about backyard breeders? I can tell you in the city I work, pit bulls are probably the most popular dog in terms of how many there are. And most people who have pits also tend not to spay/neuter them (in my town, I am not drawing general conclusions across the U.S. with this). Which means many people acquire their pits via backyard breeders and there is no way to track the population. Animal laws are quite lax in Idaho and only are we just now trying to ticket unlicensed dogs here. Therefore, I would have to say I do not fully trust the statistics offered up on this website as a means to damnify a particular breed.