ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 08-05-2009
Kennel Commander

AC626 is on a distinguished road
Default Where to buy lasso rope?

I want to start using a rope to lasso dogs instead of the same old catch pole method. Does anybody know where to buy a rope?
Old 08-05-2009
Almighty ACO

UCDW880 is on a distinguished road

On a simple scale, I use the regular slip leads like you use in a vet's office, the round nylon ones, and slide a length of plastic tubing in the center. That makes them a bit stiffer and you can flip one over a dog's neck, lasso style.

I would assume you could get a suitable lasso from any calf roper's supply. Maybe Big Dee's or Chick's? I see tons of lasso's for sale at the All American Quarter Horse Congress every October in Columbus, but I never paid any attention since I am soooo uncoordinated. Used to keep my horse at a calf ropers barn. I tried to learn, but I think lassoing a dog is beyond my mad skills.

Good luck!

MB
Old 08-05-2009
Kennel Commander

How much would a good rope run for? I'll look into those calf ropers supply companies. You should see the L.A. County Animal Control in action with those ropes, I'm sure on of the County ACOs could teach me how to rope up a dog.
Old 08-05-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Here is one for around $30. There are cheaper ones on the internet, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

http://www.amazon.com/Gifted-Horse-T...9492947&sr=8-1

Ft. Worth Animal Control used to carry them all the time. Several of their people kept them hanging from the driver’s rear view mirror, and all the paint was rubbed off the side of the truck from them. At our annual conference they have the “Animal Control Olympics”, where all who are brave enough to embarrass themselves publically can form teams and partake in unusual or bizarre events. One year, one of the events was to rope an upturned chair. One of the Ft. Worth guys took everybody to school that evening. He lassoed it first time, every time, and everybody else was doing good just to hit the chair, much less “catch” it. I located a good rope after that, tried one afternoon to learn how to use it, and then went back to my pole.
Old 08-05-2009
Kennel Commander

Thanks GTO, by the way, did you ever add citronella to your duty rig?

Now that "Animal Control Olympics" sounds like fun, we need something like that around here.
Old 08-05-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

They say October on the citronella, but we’ll just have to see. The PD bought pepperball guns and Tasers which are now in storage because they never developed a policy for using them. I hope the citronella will just fall under the OC guidelines, if not, the can will rust before they develop a policy for it.

The Olympics are quite a hoot. They have had syringe races, where each team is given a syringe, and one at a time they run from the starting point across the room to a container of water, draw up a syringe full, then run back and squirt it into a glass and hand the syringe to the next person. The first team to fill the glass wins.

Another game they have done was to have a balloon, a carrier, a trap and a catch pole. They start with the balloon in the trap and the first person uses the pole to get it out and carry it across the room to the carrier. After they place it the carrier, they hand the pole to the next person who pulls the balloon out of the carrier and takes it back and puts it in the trap then hand the pole to the next person.

They come up with new stuff every year and the winning team is recognized in the closing part of the conference.
Old 08-05-2009
Field Operative

ACO in Greenville,TX is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing to note about the lasso. It's not as easy as it looks and dogs and goats are notoriously hard to catch that way. Not to say you can't get lucky but dog's just seem to be able to judge that rope length. Dogs also have that burst of speed and dodge to avoid the rope. Goats will look at you and just duck a rope. I've roped a few and it's pure luck everytime.

Livestock is easier to rope because of the flight patterns. Cows will generally run straight away from you using their size and speed to get away and once you are behind them they really don't see you very well, they will run about 100 yards and turn to see if you are still pursuing then run again. If you get into their line of sight they'll change directions.

Horses will run in a circle. The circle may be 1/2 mile wide, but circle they will unless there is an obstacle to keep them from it. And never rope a horse from directly behind it, unless you want to go for a drag.

Dogs will also turn and run toward you when you are trying to rope them. You don't want the rope swinging over your head when they decide to charge you and then you end up tangled in rope with a dog chewing on you.

I've lassoed one dog in 14 years. He was kept running back and forth past me, just playing really, but wouldn't come within arms reach. So out came the lasso and a lucky catch. All the others just stayed far enough away and when I've missed, they took off like a shot and wouldn't stop running.
Old 08-06-2009
Almighty ACO

tomahto is an unknown quantity at this point

I once had a chow that I chased from one freeway onto another, then onto a main thoroughfare, then into a business area, then into a residential area. the only reason I ever actually caught it was that an off duty ACO from a neighboring jurisdiction happened to be in the area and she carried her lasso with her in her car, she managed to lasso him, then I got him on a pole. I have been wanting to get one ever since and learn how to use it...