ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 12-19-2008
Forum Friend

RWC is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to RWC Send a message via MSN to RWC Send a message via Yahoo to RWC

im just wondering about the rabies vax in australia, we are free of rabies and stuff would there be any need to actually get it?

God made all the creatures and gave them our love and our fear,To give sign, we and they are His children, one family here.
Old 12-19-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

You never can tell. In the US rabid raccoons were plentiful in the south east, but the north east was clear until somebody trapped some from the south and released them in the north to replenish the hunting stock. Now the whole east cost has rabid raccoons. Some joker could smuggle in some kind of exotic or something and introduce rabies to Austrailia.
Old 12-20-2008
Certified Posting ACO

PaleFalcon is on a distinguished road

I wonder though...arent marsupials (such as our opossums) generally immune to rabies? Since Australian is fully of these animals with pouches, i wonder if they would ever have a problem with rabies even if it were introduced? Though I guess there are probably enough non-marsupial species there though to be able to spread it around, like the wild dingos and such. Interesting though that rabies isnt there now.
Old 12-20-2008
Forum Friend

Send a message via AIM to RWC Send a message via MSN to RWC Send a message via Yahoo to RWC

well looks like ill be getting when i start working with animals. ill share this info with you all, it is very long so i apologise for its length.

The bat lyssavirus is closely related to classic rabies virus, and animal studies indicate that infection may be prevented by vaccination against rabies.

A new lyssavirus, first identified in 1996, has been found in several species of flying foxes and bats in Australia. It has been provisionally named Australian bat lyssavirus (ABL). Two human deaths have been reported due to this virus. Both of these individuals had a history of contact with flying foxes or microbats, and it is now known that strains of virus from both types of bats
cause disease in humans.

The new lyssavirus is closely related to, but is distinct from, the
classic rabies virus. In laboratory animals, rabies vaccine and rabies immunoglobulin protect against the new lyssavirus. ABL is currently known
to naturally infect all four megachiroptera (fruit bats/flying foxes) in Australia, at least three species of microchiroptera (insectivorous bat), and humans.

A surveillance program for ABL in bats has been put in place. On-going blood testing and virus studies suggest that the lyssavirus is widely distributed in Australia. We therefore have to assume that ALL Australian bats, both the larger flying foxes and insectivorous microbats have the potential to transmit this lyssavirus.

Rabies virus and other lyssaviruses are usually transmitted to humans via bites or scratches,which provide direct access of the virus in saliva to exposed tissue. This means that most people would not be exposed to lyssavirus through casual contact with bats. Experience with other closely related viruses, including classical rabies virus, would suggest that contact suchas patting bats or exposure to urine and faeces does not constitute a risk for exposure to ABL.

Bat blood is not regarded as a high risk tissue for lyssavirus infection. However, it is known that bats carry other microorganisms that cause human disease, and which may be in blood, urine or faeces. It is therefore advisable to avoid contact with bat excrement or blood whenever possible.

Further research is being conducted into the distribution and transmissibility of ABL, and these recommendations may be updated as more information becomes available.

God made all the creatures and gave them our love and our fear,To give sign, we and they are His children, one family here.
Old 12-20-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleFalcon View Post
I wonder though...arent marsupials (such as our opossums) generally immune to rabies? Since Australian is fully of these animals with pouches, i wonder if they would ever have a problem with rabies even if it were introduced? Though I guess there are probably enough non-marsupial species there though to be able to spread it around, like the wild dingos and such. Interesting though that rabies isnt there now.
They are highly resistant, but not immune. In the history of the State of Texas

I think there have been something like 3 opossums test positive for rabies.
Old 12-20-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

(1) Oh, goody, a new, distinct, possibly more catchable strain of rabies, just what we all wanted for Christmas!

(2) My understanding was that opossums didn't usually get it because their body temperature is too low (normals 94-96 degrees F) to provide the virus with a good host. It only really flourishes at 99 and above, which is why bats are such good hosts (normals 100-102 degrees F). One would think that animals in hotter climates would get it more readily than animals in colder climates, but ??? I don't know.

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 12-21-2008
Forum Friend

mhmm, oh so true winnie. Luckily where i live we havent seen bats for nearly 10 years now. Im glad we have a government department for diseases like this, couldnt imagine how bad it would be if they didnt have people researching prevention methods or how to combat it. I feel sorry for the Park Rangers and Cavers, they'd be the ones that would be getting close to the disease.

Also winnies correct about virus, works sorta like an enzyme, it has a specific range at which it works properly, anything lower and it slows down, eventually it'll stop working altogether.

Old 01-21-2009

animalcatcher15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here in Vegas we are offered the vaccinations but they are not mandatory, and our department pays for it. I had them and the first 2 were painless but the 3rd one hurt like he!!, I think the person that injected it had a bad day or something because he was very rough so I blame the pain on him and not the shot itself. I am terrified of shots but am fine with a tattooist's needle or body piercing also ( in response to a former poster's comments about tattoo's and piercings ), I think my fear of shots is all mental, LOL. I am very glad that I had them because so far I have impounded 2 rabid bats, although I did not handle the bats I still am glad that I have the vaccinations to be on the safe side. I would definitely recommend that you get them if possible.
Old 02-19-2009
Provisional Posting ACO

tmirra is on a distinguished road

I had my series of 3 almost 2 yrs ago. It was required by my last place of emplyment.

There is no such thing as a BAD dog,
Its is only BAD Owners
Old 02-22-2009
Field Operative

NCACO2CI is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to NCACO2CI

I had my 1st series over 15yrs ago and I thinks there were 7 or eleven hell after the first 4 it seemed like 100. but it was worth it Ive kept up with my titers and have been exposed 3 times over the years and feel better knowing its there. Also heptitas series finally after another health care worker was exposed. We are a feild that is exposed to so many pathogens(all bad) and its so hard to get good protection. And we are under the health dept...

If you have decent health care your doctor can prescribe this and there for be covered if work doesnt cover it, although Im not sure if the shortage has eased you might have to wait on a list

Stay safe