ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > In the News

Old 03-12-2008
Shelter Survivor

Bluey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACODAVIS View Post
IT can happen to any of us at any time.

Its not Dbatys fault. He has asked for training even to have me come up and train him on the job. The Dept said NO.

I know training in the key as well as being certified, at the same time small towns do not have budgets for ANYTHING! I know I pay for all my training MYSELF! NOT A DIME comes from employer. If I am at training it is " all on my own" ......
Here is the real core to the problem. No officer should have to spend their own money on training. Period. The powers that be saying they have no budget does not cut it with me. I bet they have budgets to feed their faces at their meetings or go to interstate conferences.

If you have an ACO then train them and provide for their safety. If you are not willing to do this then don't have an ACO.

ACODAVIS... mate my advice is to deep six this bunch and seek work elsewhere with a workplace that will look after you.

This problem raises it head over here too and makes my blood boil. Our organisation the APA is actively fighting this type of thinking and I think from what I have seen we have stronger workplace safety laws here. If we had an accident such as DBatys and it was proved that we were negligent then it is the CEO's head that is on the block.

Makes them think twice about saying no to training and yes to the interstate junket
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

www.ahgs.com.au
Old 03-12-2008
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBPD336 View Post
I always say I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six. I will do what ever and I do mean WHAT EVER I have to do to make sure I fullfill the first rule of law enforcement-go home at the end of your shift.

Amen to that. When I was nineteen, I went to an ATM where I thought it was safe since there was always a guard there. That morning, the guard did not show up. I elected to use the ATM. I heard someone come up behind me running. I grabbed the money and jumped into the car and floored it. A man grabbed the back door of my car in an attempt to grab me. I dragged him some with the car but managed to get away. I reported what I saw to the bank who plain and simple ignored it. It turned out that the man had a gun; he robbed a neighboring bank the same morning; the description I gave the first bank was the same as the clothing the man that robbed the second bank had on.

Though I have been told that if the man died due to my using the car, it would have been vehicular manslaughter, I don't think I would have been alive today if I had not used the car in the manner that I did to get away. That man was armed; the only weapon I had was my car.
Old 03-14-2008

TOPDOG2E is on a distinguished road

I've been doing this for almost seven yrs and i live in ohio i don't know of any law aginst using a baton against a dog. at one time we weren't aloud to carry guns but i had mine with me and i had to shot two pitbulls and i didn't get in any trouble. because of what happened my county government thought oh maybe these guys should carry guns. its all b/s no matter were you go it will always be something stupid to make your job harder
Old 03-14-2008
Shelter Survivor

dbaty is on a distinguished road

Amen to that!!!

---------------------------------------------------

Progress stops at the Cemetary.
Old 03-16-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

According to the Texas Penal Code 46.02, an ASP is a prohibited weapon, and it is the same offense as carrying a handgun, a class A misdemeanor, for a civilian to carry one. A lot of ACOs in Texas do carry them anyway, but they are risking 1 year in jail, up to a $4000 fine or both every time they have it with them.

Itís a sad thing that we are tasked with the job of handling not only dangerous animals, but often the far more dangerous owners, and the only defense available to us is a pocket knife, OC and a catch pole.
Old 03-19-2008
Kennel Commander

downsouth is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
According to the Texas Penal Code 46.02, an ASP is a prohibited weapon, and it is the same offense as carrying a handgun, a class A misdemeanor, for a civilian to carry one. A lot of ACOs in Texas do carry them anyway, but they are risking 1 year in jail, up to a $4000 fine or both every time they have it with them.

It’s a sad thing that we are tasked with the job of handling not only dangerous animals, but often the far more dangerous owners, and the only defense available to us is a pocket knife, OC and a catch pole.
It is also classed as a dangerous weapon in NZ however an ACO is not a civilian and we do have a reason to carry the weapon just like the police do. I don't have one as I'm not trained to use it. Oh and a pocket knife and OC they are also dangerous wepons over here...
Old 03-19-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Interesting how it changes from state to state. OC is available here over the counter to anybody who wants it, and knives are only restricted if they are over 5 Ĺ inches.

The TAACO is trying to get ACO added in with peace officer, commissioned security officer and corrections officers as an exemption for an impact weapon, but as of today, we are just like any other civilian when it comes to prohibited weapons.
Old 03-19-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Oops. I read NZ as AZ (Arizona). So itís interesting how things change from country to country.