ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > In the News

Old 02-27-2008
Shelter Survivor

dbaty is on a distinguished road

Share it with anyone you want. Tell them that the ACO had only been on the job less than two months and walked into the backyard without looking around first. Also add that I had not received any training whatsoever. Making noise wasn't enough that time, this Rottie was laying and waiting. Very hard lesson to learn. I now do my job a whole lot smarter.

---------------------------------------------------

Progress stops at the Cemetary.
Old 03-01-2008
Forum Friend

ACODAVIS is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ACODAVIS
Default dog attack

IT can happen to any of us at any time.

Its not Dbatys fault. He has asked for training even to have me come up and train him on the job. The Dept said NO.

I know training in the key as well as being certified, at the same time small towns do not have budgets for ANYTHING! I know I pay for all my training MYSELF! NOT A DIME comes from employer. If I am at training it is " all on my own" ......
Old 03-01-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Scooterchic is on a distinguished road

Dbaty, I was thinking of you last night when I impounded a 200 pound super aggressive Rottie last night. I was thinking of that picture of you wrist and I though, damn this might be my time, but I'm not scared just have respect for the dog. I arrived to see 2 LARGE rotties. The female was a bit smaller but still a respectable size. The male was the aggressive one and the one I had to get. Well, I snared him pulled him to the truck, It was like pulling a rope that was wrapped around a tree stump, and thank god he basically jumped into the truck kennel. He twisted the snare around his neck and I fought for what seemed like FOREVER to get him to twist and move so I did not hurt him and choke him out. WOW WHAT A RUSH!!! I an glad he jumped into the kennel because I would've had to call a second unit to assist me to load him in the truck. The damn dog WAS HUGE! He had like 60 to 70 pounds on me! Man I was so amped afterward I could barely sit still!!! My kennel card was laughable, you could not read it. I was harassed back at base until they saw him then they wanted to buy me a pint.

Cheers, Scooterchic

Old 03-01-2008
Shelter Survivor

Yeah it wills end chills up yor spine for sure.

Old 03-04-2008
Forum Friend

Krypto is on a distinguished road

I don't know how popular this would be but I frankly don't care what anyone says about safety. It is my butt on the line and I will ue the tools furnished with or without the formal training required. I will stand there and get a reprimand for using my baton than lay in the hospital covered in bandages filling out reports on what happened to me.
Old 03-05-2008
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Talking about dog bites, let me tell you what happened to me. I am an ACO and a vet. At my office, I have a strict policy about owners holding or assisting in holding their dogs. It is plain and simple not allowed. I had my staff holding a vicious dog with gloves while I attempted to muzzle him. I was so focused on moving with the dog while I tried to muzzle him with gauze (I could not get a regular muzzle on the dog) as a temporary muzzle, that I did not realize that the dog's owner had grabbed the dog's muzzle. When I got the gauze around the snout and was about to tie, I realized that the owner's hands were in my way. All I did was say could you move, the owner let go and the dog bit my arm. The dog bit straight down and pulled the skin off the bone but it was still pretty much attached. I washed it off and ran back in when I realized that the technicians were going to release the hard to handle dog..

I thought I was ok. About four or five days later, I developed what I thought was a cold (the typical sore throat, runny eyes and nose). I did not go to the hospital until I began vomiting within a few minutes of swallowing anything (liquids or food). By the time I was in the hospital, I had a 104 degree fever and could barely walk. I was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis. I was placed in isolation ICU since they thought it was infectious even though I kept insisting that I was a veterinarian and was bitten by a dog a few days before. They thought I was going to be dead by morning. I was questioned thoroughly about the incident to see who might have been exposed to me and whether or not this could have been bioterrorism since I am very close to NY city. It took 4 days before the blood culture revealed that the bacteria was Pasteurella multocida. This is the one that you get
from drinking unpasteurized milk. You also get it from animal bites.

While in the hospital, I was losing my eye sight. This is a symptom of this disease as well. The diagnosis is made by spinal tap and if they miss, I could have been paralyzed. The doctors were treating me with two intravenous antibiotics (which would not have worked in my case) and then added a third (cephalexin) to humor me in case this happened to be due to the dog bite. My vision returned after about 3 days. I was able to leave the hospital 8 days after admittance, with an intravenous catheter which had to remain for 2 weeks of treatment.

I was told by my doctor that most of his patients with bacterial meningitis are dead. The few that survived are blind. I am one of the rare that had my vision return.

It was when I was on my death bed that I promised God if I came out of this ok, that I would go back to school and become certified as an Animal Control Officer. I know what you guys/gals go through out in the field. I was trained to do the job as well but just never had the paperwork to go with it. I did not want to see my town's ACOs go through what I went through since they were inexperienced. I assisted them whenever they needed help.

The only times that I have been bitten in my career have been when someone else held an animal for me. When working out in the field, I never have been injured since I use the snare pole if necessary as a weapon to push the animals back (or at least give me some time to get up on something to get away from the attacking animal).

Please remember my case. Don't delay getting medical treatment from a bite wound. Even if you are in uniform, tell them that you think you are sick due to a bite. I came in full doctor's uniform but I did such a good job in cleaning out the wound that they did not believe me when I told them that I had been bitten. Also, find a doctor that will treat you for bite wounds even if they occur frequently. The emergency room turned me down so many times that I did not seek medical treatment for this wound which almost led to my death. My infectious disease doctor now allows me to call him up for medication when I am bitten to prevent this from ever happening again. The hospital that treated me was the same hospital that initially refused to treat me in the past for animal bites. The doctors have since changed their opinion of this policy.

Last edited by DRNEGRIN6; 03-05-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-05-2008
Shelter Survivor

What a powerful testimony. You are one lucky person for sure. I know we can never be too careful out there. Glad you made a full recovery. I don't know what I'd do if I lost my sight. I don't think I could handle not being able to see my wife, daughters and grandchildren. We all need to learn from this experience you had.

Old 03-08-2008

TOPDOG2E is on a distinguished road

you can't use a bite stick what are you suppost to do. I use a leash most of the time but i'm aloud to use a b/s. I cought two large pitbulls today with two leashs the local police thought i was nuts but that was my choice and i was only bit on the hand once. I always say what they don't know won't get you killed.
Old 03-10-2008
Field Operative

4myella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Officer safety

We are trained to use the baton on people,not animals. There are no red areas I suppose. Is there training specifically for protecting yourself from animals using a baton? If not there should be. Norfolk Officers are not armed. I was told that we would be within one year of my starting date that we would be trained as the PD is. Simply put I have OC, baton, and pole to defend myself. I hope that it is enough because with what I have read here and seen on TV or in ACO basic class I don't want to have one of those stories. Our city has recently gotten tazers and my Sgt. has sworn to do his best to make sure that we cannot carry them despite taking the class and the hit. Riding the lightening we call it. If he is over ruled we will not be allowed to use them on a person under any circumstance. Job or life, my choice. There is no training on how they effect the animals though. I don't want a dog running around with the probes in it no matter how aggressive it is. I work alone 3-4 days out of every week because we have 4 Officers total. PD is fast to assist if called but how long before I am REALLY hurt? If I am down and not in a position to use my training or tools I carry a knife. Picture the headline "Animal Control Officer nearly killed by 2 dogs kills them both with a knife, then gets fired." I WILL NOT lose a limb or my life for this job but I take risk it everyday.
Old 03-12-2008
Almighty ACO

NBPD336 is on a distinguished road

I always say I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six. I will do what ever and I do mean WHAT EVER I have to do to make sure I fullfill the first rule of law enforcement-go home at the end of your shift.

You will not rise to the occasion, you will sink to the level of your training.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~ Mark Twain