Taser Y or N 11 24.44%
Stun Baton Y or N 14 31.11%
Protective Vest (BP) Y or N 31 68.89%
OC Spray Y or N 35 77.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-08-2009
Probationary Trainee

uub07 is on a distinguished road

We get the ASP, pepper spray and a HK 40 cal.
Old 06-11-2009
Field Operative

dishdog01 is on a distinguished road
Default Thats great.....

All three of those implements are excellent weapons especially the H & K. Where exactly do you work. I am still trying to convince my superiors that providing me with essential tools to do my job is cheaper than the lawsuit that will follow my demise should something happen to me while on duty.
Old 06-12-2009
Probationary Trainee

uub07 is on a distinguished road

I work over in Gloucester Va. Thank God I havent had to use any of them yet but it is comforting to know I am able to protect myself and others if need be. The one thing I dont like is the bullet proof vest. Great thing to have but freaking hot in the summer hahaha.
Old 06-12-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdog01 View Post
All three of those implements are excellent weapons especially the H & K. Where exactly do you work. I am still trying to convince my superiors that providing me with essential tools to do my job is cheaper than the lawsuit that will follow my demise should something happen to me while on duty.
We canít even (legally) carry an ASP, so I donít think a handgun will ever happen in my lifetime. However, I know several Texas ACOs carry a handgun using their CHLs (Concealed Handgun License). It is way gray area as to if it is even legal, there are 101 restrictions as to where you can and cannot carry with a CHL, and many of the places I go during the day I would not legally be able to carry with the CHL.

Since most every state has some form of CHL, if you really feel the need, you might want to look into that. Just a thought.
Old 06-12-2009
Almighty ACO

NBPD336 is on a distinguished road

As most of you know I am also a PO as well as an ACO therefore I carry my full duty belt. As far as the vest issue goes I wear mine all the time, even if it is a 95 degree day, I still have it one. I was told a long time ago that. "If you think bad things only happen to the 'other guy', remember to someone somewhere YOU ARE THE OTHER GUY.

You will not rise to the occasion, you will sink to the level of your training.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~ Mark Twain
Old 06-18-2009
Provisional Posting ACO

cattledog804 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee2630 View Post
We carry dept issued vest, OC spray, Expandable Baton (we are trained to use on people as well), M26 Taser (training was fun LOL), two handcuffs, fixed blade K-Bar knife.......most used...catch pole which becomes a 5ft baton if needed.

Do you have any written guidelines as to why you carry that I may share with my director? Trying to push for myself and 4 other ACOs to at least carry a Taser or bite stick. So far just falling on deaf ears outside of Animal Control.
Old 06-19-2009
Giga-posting ACO

I see from your profile that your from Texas also, so from one Texan to another, here is my point of view.

For my OC They simply carry me under the PD use of force which covers use of OC on animals. The PD has pepperball guns, which I have been trained on, and Tasers, which I have not been trained on, but they have never developed a policy on them, so nobody can use them.

Iíve always had OC and dart guns available to me, and Iíll use the OC 5X more than the dart gun. I would stick with them for now, and if they donít want to spring for a dart gun, then at least push for the OC. The advantages of OC are 1, its usually really effective, 2, its always available and easy to deploy, and 3, being available over the counter it doesnít have the legal restrictions of a bit stick.

Remember, even though a lot of Texas ACOs carry bite sticks (ASPs), most of the major legal reps have determined that they are a illegal club, thus a prohibited weapon in the state, and you can get 1 year in the county jail for having one on your person. A bill is being presented in the next legislature that would allow ACOs to carry them, but that will be at least 2010 and probably 2011 before that goes into effect. Even if you agency looks the other way, if you ever get sued for using one on somebodyís dog, I donít know that your agency could assist you if they wanted to, so expect to be totally on your own.
Old 06-19-2009
Kennel Commander

BernCo_Geo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattledog804 View Post
Do you have any written guidelines as to why you carry that I may share with my director? Trying to push for myself and 4 other ACOs to at least carry a Taser or bite stick. So far just falling on deaf ears outside of Animal Control.
Yea really. Something I asked in here awhile back ago. We got the bite sticks. Mainly cause NACA Provides the training for it. But we would like to step up our tools/equipment. So Rope pole/Control stick, OC spray, Bite stick is what we mainly carry. First thing always is ur words and attitude.
Old 06-20-2009
Field Operative

dishdog01 is on a distinguished road
Default Tranq Gun = FIREARM

There are lots of great tools to use but its a matter of getting "training" and procedures to use them. I was sent to "train" to use a tranquilizer gun but among other things the tranq gun is by definition (according to MI State Law) a firearm which I am currently NOT authorized to carry-good thing you sent me to the training. Additionally there is no written policy with respect to its deployment......see a pattern here? LOL. What a joke.
Old 06-20-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdog01 View Post
I was sent to "train" to use a tranquilizer gun but among other things the tranq gun is by definition (according to MI State Law) a firearm which I am currently NOT authorized to carry-good thing you sent me to the training. Additionally there is no written policy with respect to its deployment......see a pattern here? LOL. What a joke.
Interesting point. Our PDs file on people for discharging BB or pellet guns all the time, and a Cap Chur dart gun is simply an oversized Crossman BB gun.

According to our state law, it has to be powered by an explosion or burning substance.

(3) "Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use. Firearm does not include antique or curio firearms that were manufactured prior to 1899 and that may have, as an integral part, a folding knife blade or other characteristics of weapons made illegal by this chapter.

At my former city it specified spring air or compressed air as a firearm in the ordinance, but my current city is not as specific.

(a) Firearms defined. The word firearms as used in this section shall mean any type of gun, rifle, shotgun, revolver, pistol, bb gun or pellet gun which is used or may be used for the firing of a bullet or pellet or pellets caused from the explosion of any type of powder or explosives or any type of mechanical device used for the firing of a bullet or pellet.
(b) Discharging firearms prohibited. It shall be unlawful for anyone to discharge any firearms within the city. It shall also be unlawful for any parent or those in charge of or charged with the duty of the custody of minor children to permit such children to fire or discharge any firearms within the city.

I assume Iím covered as a ďpolice officialĒ because I have both the dart gun and a shotgun,

(c) Exceptions. Nothing contained in this section shall ever be construed as to prohibit any police official from firing firearms in the discharge of official duties and providing further that this section shall not be interpreted to prohibit a person from protecting his home, property or life.

Or maybe it is no ask no tell.