Old 08-22-2006
Kennel Commander

Poopahbit is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to Poopahbit
Default Willie Nelson Adds Voice Before Vote to Ban Wild Horse Slaug

Willie Nelson Adds Voice Before Vote to Ban Wild Horse Slaughter

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Interior Dept., Ford Team Up to Save Wild Horses
WASHINGTON Texan Willie Nelson is raising his voice in defense of a symbol of the West wild horses.

Country singer Nelson is the latest to join an effort to ban the slaughter of horses in the U.S. for consumption of their meat abroad. The U.S. House is scheduled to vote Sept. 7 on a bill aimed at ending horse slaughter.

"If you've ever been around horses a lot, especially wild horses, you know they are part of the American heritage. I don't think its right that we kill them and eat them," Nelson said in a telephone interview Tuesday.

In a news release issued this week, Nelson touts a Sept. 5 Washington rally in support of the bill sponsored by Rep. John Sweeney, R-N.Y. Nelson said he won't be at the rally, but his daughter Amy will, along with other celebrities, including former "10" star Bo Derek and Jennifer Pryor, wife of the late comedian Richard Pryor.

Nelson said he learned about the issue through country music producer Eddie Kilroy's show on satellite radio, Hank's Place, which has become Willie's Place.

"When it was Hank's Place, Eddie Kilroy was talking about the issue. He was talking about horse slaughter one day and he called me and talked about what a horrible practice that is. One thing led to another," Nelson said.

Nelson said he has owned several horses and has several buried on his ranches. "I do have a lot of respect for my horses, a lot. I don't ride them as much as I used to and I think they appreciate it," he joked.

Nelson recorded the songs "On the Road Again" and "Mama Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys."

The House bill is HR 503.

Elisabeth

~Edmund Burke
Old 08-25-2006
Shelter Survivor

chumli

Put your money where your mouth is, Mr. Nelson. Open up your ranches to the mustangs. Pay to feed them to make sure that they are not in danger of starvation due to overpopulation of their grazing areas.

What is more important than worrying about whether they are being slaughtered and being used as a resource,is to find out whether or not this is a legitimate need to keep the populations under control.

If they are overcrowded and in danger of starving, then why not gather them up and use them for meat?

No animal dies in nature in a comfortable bed with the covers pulled up under its chin. BMP's are sometimes necessary to keep these creatures from suffering the long painful death of starvation.
Old 08-25-2006
Almighty ACO

UCDW880 is on a distinguished road

Rah rah! The horse slaughter act has done more to depress horse sale prices and act to the detriment of the horse industry in the US than any other. Rather than helping, its doing more to harm the horse industry. Sounds good on paper, but in reality its a nightmare.

MB
Old 08-25-2006
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumli
No animal dies in nature in a comfortable bed with the covers pulled up under its chin. BMP's are sometimes necessary to keep these creatures from suffering the long painful death of starvation.
I have to agree there ... every animal needs a certain amount of area to provide them adequate food. If we're bound-set-and-determined to take that land away from them, it's just adding insult to injury to leave them alive to starve. And, let's just face it, life sucks if you're any kind of wild animal right now. I can think of about thirty species that need celebrity spokespeople ... raccoons and cougars and coyotes and opossums and ...

(Is this day EVER going to end? Once again, I remain annoyingly yours,)

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)