ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 12-19-2008
Field Operative

mecritterlover is on a distinguished road
Default Snake Help- ASAP!

OK...I live in Maine for many reasons, one of which is the lack of contact with big, scary snakes! So I was unimpressed with this call: 5-6 foot red tail boa loose in the walls of an apartment complex! And the owner hasn't gotten around to feeding it- for the last 3 months! And it's a female just reaching breeding age...which I'm told means I have a very hungry girl with PMS! Now, I don't know diddly bout snakes...but this can't be good.
So any advice on how to get this critter back in her aquarium before she eats the neighbors kitten or rabbit or newborn...would be greatly appreciated! Keep in mind I have NO snake wrangling equipment...or experience with such...ps> these buggers bite? cause that would not be cool...
Old 12-19-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Caveat: there are many officers on this site with WAY more reptile experience than I have:

(1) Tap your local reptilologists (today's my day for making up new words) for help. You may have someone in your community who's just itching to do this for free for you!

(2) They do bite, and because of their usual feeding process (bite-then-swallow), they don't let go readily. I hear that the best way to get a large snake off someone after biting is to point the snake's head nose-downward, then dribble a little drinking-quality alcohol across its teeth and gums. Keep the nose downward, so you don't accidentally drown it. They will spit that nasty whiskey (and their victim) right out.

(3) Snakes are good at predating mice and rats, so if it's in the walls of the average apartment building it's probably the reverse of hungry. "Spoilt for choice" as the Brits say.

(4) Seems like a trap with some kind of heater under it would be your best bet. Given that you're in Maine, I would think a subtropical snake would be looking for a comfy place to sleep off all those rats.

Good luck! Sounds like a fun call to me. Take lots of pictures!

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 12-19-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Iím with Winnie about calling some local expert, but there is one little detail about a snake bite you may find useful. Snake teeth angle backwards pointing away from the nose towards the back of the jaw. When the eat, they work one jaw forward and get a grip with the teeth, then move the other jaw forward and get a grip and so on until the food is ingested.

What this means to people, if it grabs on to youíre hand, if you simply pull it away by the body, the teeth will only go deeper and cause more severe injury. What my snake people tell me to do is 1, stay calm (figure the odds on that one), then 2 take one jaw and force it forward to dislodge the teeth. Once that is done, move the other jaw forward to dislodge those teeth.

In case you havenít been keeping count, this requires at least three hands including the one with the snake attached to it, so bring friends when you try to remove it.

Another thing constrictors do is constrict. They will wrap around whatever they can and get as tight of a coil as possible. Supposedly most people killed by boas are killed when it wraps around either their abdomen or their neck and the victim ends up suffocating. The more you fight with it, the tighter it wraps.

One trick I have heard of, but I donít vouch for the validity of it, is a CO2 fire extinguisher. Snakes are cold blooded, and the quick chill of the CO2 supposedly slows them way down and make them easier to handle.
Old 12-19-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
... 1, stay calm (figure the odds on that one) ...
My thought exactly. I'm reading my own post thinking "pointing down? pointing down? You have a snake fastened to your arm and you're able to calmly point its head down, instead of running around screaming like you want to?"

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 12-19-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Anybodies first response is to grab the snake and yank, then it will filet your hand.
Old 12-19-2008
Forum Friend

DCACC is on a distinguished road

I know this is serious, but I think it is funny that you are all going right to critterlover being bitten. Hope you don't get bitten, GTO is right, go nap a herpatalogist that wants to go snake hunting. The local herpatological (probably not spelled correctly) society is sure to have someone on hand. You need a pole with a curved hook on it and a bag to efficiently scoop and bag before placing gently back in their habitat or terrarium.
Old 12-19-2008
Field Operative

mecritterlover is on a distinguished road

yeah, thanx for the vote of confidence! NOT! And let's remember, this is Maine...local herpawhatagist??? Not likely! But I did manage to track down a vet who specializes in exotics, including snakes- and I did spend some time reseaching the handsome buggers...and I've come to the conclusion that this Ijit isn't going to own this snake for long once I find it! She told me she hasn't fed it in almost 3 months! And she thinks that's OK...and she's been feeding it bantam chickens (or trying to, a neighbor says the snake never eats them, they just end up dead in the trash!) not to mention the fact that I gave her specific instructions (after I became a "snake expert" courtesy of the vet and net! hehehe) on setting a trap for it near the boiler in the basement (because I'm told snakes prefer to go down than up and seek a warm dark spot) which required her to go to the local pet shop (less than a mile away) and get a feeder rat...none of which she bothered to do..."because it's really my boyfriends snake, so he should have to do it"...but of course he's at work all day! GGEESSHH...I see dumb people! Meanwhile everyone else in the apt. bldg. are nervous recks that they're going to be killed in their sleep tonight by a rogue wild snake!!! Glad it's Friday!
Old 12-19-2008
Giga-posting ACO

How long has it been out? If she hasnít fed it in 3 months, and it was refusing to eat before that, it sounds like it has been feeding on something else. If it has been feasting on rats and mice recently, then it wonít be nearly as aggressive.

My herp guy tells me that the people who get bitten by their own snakes are usually the ones that give it a guinea pig every 6 months whether it needs it or not. Then one day they will stick their hand in the aquarium smelling like a Big Mac and CHOMP.
Old 12-19-2008
Almighty ACO

NBPD336 is on a distinguished road

Hi Critter,

Have you captured the big scary snake yet? lol I used to have a Columbian Red Tail myself she was a wonderful pet. Except she got too big for me to be able to handle, she was twelve feet when I gave her to the owner of the exotic pet store that I used to get my rats from. Like has been stated her they do like warm dark places. Three months does sound like a long time not to feed. I used to give mine about six rats every other week. As GTO stated they people who ususally get bit by thier snake are the same people that only open the enclosure when its feeding time. Do you know if the snake was handled alot? If you locate the snake just pick her up and place her in a pillow case see very simple. lol

If you can get the snake on the floor take a plastic trash can lay it on its side, take a broom and just gently sweep the her into the trash can stand trash can up and cover she will be fine to transport the the vet providing its not that far away.

During my Animal Control Academy we had to round up several different species of snakes this way including three poisnous snakes.

You will not rise to the occasion, you will sink to the level of your training.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~ Mark Twain
Old 12-19-2008
Field Operative

Laelaps is on a distinguished road

The trashcan idea is a good one. You can also outfit a large cat net with a bag, either burlap if you can get it or a large pillow case or similar. snakes like dark spaces to hide, so if you put the modified net in front of the snake's head- slowly and quietly- or even slightly over the head, the touch it with your catch pole or other device near the tail it will likely go right in. Then you can flip it around and give it a twist and VOILA! snake captured. Or you can call an expert