ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 02-24-2006
Probationary Trainee

rob
Default Disqualifying Factors

Hello. I am interested in becoming an ACO. However, I have 5 misdemeanors on my record. Mostly chemical related and all are 5 to 12 years old ( from a previous life, so to speak ). I'm wondering if that will just totally disqualify me. I've pondered if I could get training, education and do some volunteering if it would help. Having said that, and provided a Dept. would hire me, what's the best way to get certified, through NACA programs or community college, or maybe both?

Thanks,

Rob
Old 02-24-2006
Certified Posting ACO

BA ACO

Im assuming by chemical, you mean drug related. I suppose it just depends on the department. I know there are alot of departments out there that will look over that sort of stuff if its all in the past....especially 12 years ago. In my personal opinion NACA is the way to go. it is alittle costly and most departments will send you there once you are hired. volunteering at a local animal shelter never hurts also.
Old 02-24-2006
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

Our Department would disqualify you. There are others that wouldn't though, just keep looking and be honest. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2006
Giga-posting ACO

Sunny is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunny

I know where I'm from you have to have a clean criminal record and also just to add a clean driver's abstact as well.

Sunny

"Saving just one pet won't change the world, but, surely the world will change for that one pet." You might be the only love they know in their life.

Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly

You can either be the cure or the disease.
Old 02-26-2006
Shelter Survivor

chumli

In some states that record could give you a problem with owning and carrying firearms. If your dept. carries, that could get in your way.
Old 02-28-2006
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

If they are DUI / DWI your chances approach zero with any law enforcement agency but may not prevent you from working for a private non-profit agency. Again, how long ago, what they were, was there a related accident - many factors can affect the impact of your past issues on your future chances.

If there is a drug charge - simple possession and a VERY old case may not be a showstopper in the private sector - again most PDs won't touch you. Most schedule I drug use (LSD, Heroin, PCP, Meth) will eliminate you from just about everywhere. A lot rides on the frequency as well. "Tried marijuana once in college and didn't inhale" - you could be President but not an ACO... Guess we have standards!

Some departments are a little more forgiving. The best way to see is check their website or their human resources office. Ask what they automatic disqualifiers are.

Auto DQs - any possession with intent to distribute, any domestic violence conviction, most DUI/DWI, any felony conviction, any conviction for a crime of moral turpitude (lying, cheating, stealing).

Misdemeanor speeding, even reckless can usually be overcome as long as there was no loss of license and the charges are at least several years old.