ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 03-06-2006
Probationary Trainee

knsth28
Default Rules on backyard breeders?

Do backyard breeders have to follow the same laws as registered breeders? They sell their puppies and are making a profit, most do not vaccinate or keep records. What rules do they have to follow, if any, in Va.
Old 03-07-2006
Forum Friend

Michelle B.

I'm not familiar with VA laws, but the big problem everywhere seems to be how to regulate the backyard breeders and the big commercial (USDA registered) breeders without unfairly limiting the rights of responsible breeders (and yes, the good kind do exist).

The person who could come up with a law to fairly address all kinds of breeders would be a hero indeed!

Michelle B.
Old 03-07-2006
Shelter Survivor

RichmondACO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to RichmondACO

What area of Virginia are you speaking of. We may be able to look up that local jurisdictions laws for you and see how your concern is in relation to the local ordinances.
My local laws (Richmond) are very different than lets say Orange County's. I am given much more ability to make life hard for the back yard breeder, moreso than most jurisdictions.

\"The man who gets bit twice by the same dog is better adapted for that kind of business than any other.\"
Old 03-07-2006
Probationary Trainee

knsth28

Clarke county in Berryville Va.
Old 03-07-2006
Shelter Survivor

RichmondACO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to RichmondACO

a public site tha tmay be helpful to you is municicode.com. You should be able to look up your local ordinances there and see if there is anything that applies.

\"The man who gets bit twice by the same dog is better adapted for that kind of business than any other.\"
Old 03-08-2006
Almighty ACO

UCDW880 is on a distinguished road

This is a pet peeve of mine, no pun intended. I think its a free country and there should NOT be any regulations on breeders, other than our humane laws.
Buyer beware.

Its about time people started thinking a bit before they buy a puppy. I still run into people all the time who have no idea about puppy mills and backyard breeders. Oftentimes they pay out a fortune in money for a pup when they could have gone to a good breeder with 5 generations of health tested performance proven stock. I knew someone who bought a pup from Petland, got a "20% discount", yet paid more than I paid for my pup out of Best In Show, Top ten show, hunt tested, ratings tested, temperament tested, OFA excellent hips, OFA normal thyroid, etc parents.

And I really love how much people pay for glorified mix breeds. Sigh.

Buyer beware! People educate themselves more before buying a car than buying a pup.

I don't know how to change that, but I don't think we need to regulate stupidity.

MB
Old 03-09-2006
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

LiHammy is an unknown quantity at this point

Dose anyone have a link to their ordinances That they could post. I would like too see what i can do to complicate the life of a few choise people in my comunity