ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 06-28-2006
Probationary Trainee

stephin78
Default Interview Tomorrow!!

Hi Guys, I have an interview tomorrow morning w/ the watchcomander at the county animal control department. Any advice on how to stand out from all the other applicants who passed the test? He will decide who goes on to be interviewed by the hiring official. I want to convey how important this is to me. Thank you for taking time to read this.
Old 06-28-2006
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation
Default Re: Interview Tomorrow!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephin78
Hi Guys, I have an interview tomorrow morning w/ the watchcomander at the county animal control department. Any advice on how to stand out from all the other applicants who passed the test? He will decide who goes on to be interviewed by the hiring official. I want to convey how important this is to me. Thank you for taking time to read this.
Be an advocate for yourself. Stress that you are for education as the best enforcement tool. Teaching over tickets. The goal is to get people to obey the law. Emphasize your interpersonal skills in dealing with difficult people. You are a "team" player. You are results oriented. You look forward to learning from the experienced staff and seek to continuosly improve your knowledge and performance. Note your willingness to accept incremental progress towards full performance (ie you will get the grunt work done and pay your dues). Whatever the philosophy the department has, make sure you know it and "ooze" it during your interview. Make EYE contact. Think about your answers. Make sure you demonstrate active listening. Like, " I am glad you asked me to name my strongest charecter trait. I believe that I am best known for my willingness to listen to what people are saying and reserve judgment until I have all the facts. I do not leap to conclusions". Make sure you are not self-depreciating or negative in any of your statements about yourself or your prior employer. "Why are you leaving your last job?" - I am seeking an opportunity where I can realize my full potential in the animal law enforcement / control field. I firmly believe that this organization will afford me that chance."

POSITIVE ANSWERS. THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK. DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK THEM QUESTIONS OR ASK THE TO REPEAT THE QUESTION.

SMILE.

TALK SLOWLY, NATURALLY, AND CLEARLY.

DON'T WEAR SMELLY STUFF TO THE INTERVIEW!

READ THE ANIMAL LAWS AND BE ABLE TO GENERALLY TALK ABOUT THEM.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ THE ENTIRE JOB DESCRIPTION AND KNOW WHAT YOU WILL BE EXPECTED TO DO EACH DAY.

KNOCK 'EM DEAD!
Old 06-29-2006
Probationary Trainee

stephin78

Thank you for the advice!
Old 07-04-2006
Probationary Trainee

yolanda
Default Good luck on your interview

Hi stephin78 !

Good luck on your interview. Please let us know how you felt you did. Fingers crossed for you My interview is Thursday.

Hi Mark,

Great advice, thank you so much.
Old 08-10-2006
Probationary Trainee

stephin78
Default Got the JOB!!

Just an update, I start training soon. Thanks for the advice! I am so excited and nervous, but mostly excited!!!
Old 08-11-2006
Forum Friend

doggz109

Congrats!