ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 06-09-2010
Provisional Posting ACO

winchester78
Default field training humiliation..

omg when i first started working i (middle-age female) was being trained by my highly respected boss(well into retirement age male). one day we arrived at the shelter with a dog we captured running at large. he was walking me through the paperwork and asked if i knew how to estimate the age of the dog for the impound form. me, being the speak before i think and full of gusto, replied "yeah, this one is easy because its a male. i can check his balls and his teeth and feel pretty accurate." well..... he thought for a minute, i unfortunately did not... and with a room full of people (mostly staff and half the board!) he said "do you want to guess how old i am?" i was mortified with embarrassment but after that initial flushed face moment i took it like a champ and to this day i get requests to inspect for age occasionally.
Old 06-09-2010
Field Operative

Tricia is on a distinguished road

I once got dragged a couple of feet by a rottweiler! That was a bit embarassing.
Old 06-09-2010
Provisional Posting ACO

winchester78
Default locked up

one other embarrasing moment i thought of... i was trying to take my few spare minutes with a new shelter dog that was very scared and skittish and would bolt every time the kennel door opened. so i went in and shut the gate and sat down to let him warm up to me. after about 10 minutes he was having no part of it and i had work to do anyway. i get up to leave and realize you cannot open the latch from inside the kennel and my cell phone is in the truck. not wanting to resort to radioing for help i waited, hoping and praying i wasn't dispatched to a call i couldn't respond to in my predicament. finally a potential adoptee came by the run lookin rather oddly at this uniformed officer sitting on the kennel run floor. i said maam can you ask someone at the front desk to come back and assist me. lol what a day!
Old 06-09-2010
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchester78 View Post
one other embarrasing moment i thought of... i was trying to take my few spare minutes with a new shelter dog that was very scared and skittish and would bolt every time the kennel door opened. so i went in and shut the gate and sat down to let him warm up to me. after about 10 minutes he was having no part of it and i had work to do anyway. i get up to leave and realize you cannot open the latch from inside the kennel and my cell phone is in the truck. not wanting to resort to radioing for help i waited, hoping and praying i wasn't dispatched to a call i couldn't respond to in my predicament. finally a potential adoptee came by the run lookin rather oddly at this uniformed officer sitting on the kennel run floor. i said maam can you ask someone at the front desk to come back and assist me. lol what a day!
This one reminded me of another embarrassing moment that was similar to this. Dispatch called me to pick up a Rotweiler that they found RAL in front of the police station. They had put the dog in the loading dock but it did not fit in the cage. I went into the back to get the dog only to find that the dog was not in the room. I could hear the dog barking and thought that somehow the dog had gotten into another room in the station. When I tried to leave the loading dock, I realized that the door was self-locking and I was locked in the loading dock. I looked around and found another door but did not know where it led to nor whether an alarm was set to the door; the door led outside but I did not know that.

I elected to call dispatch as calmly as I could and told them this, "Dispatch, I have two problems. The first is the dog is not in the loading dock. The second is that I'm locked in the loading dock and can't get out." The dispatch room is a few rooms away from the loading dock. I could hear the officers laughing through the wall, which made me start laughing as well since I could not believe I got locked up in a police station while performing a job. The officer that had taken the dog outside had heard me laughing and opened up the door that led outside and let me out of the room.

I wish I could say that the story ended there, but the Rotweiler was an intact male. Once he saw me, he decided that he wanted to hump me in front of the male police officer. The dog was almost as tall as I was when he stood up and he weighed the same as I did. The police officer gave me the dog's lead; the lead fell off the dog and now I'm rolling on the ground trying to recapture the dog before he decides to take off. It's funny now, but that was a little scary rolling on the ground with a dog that was a little ticked off that you had pushed him off when he was trying to hump you.
Old 06-09-2010
Forum Friend

AMB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Embarrassing Moments

Had a dog down in a very steep culvert after a rainstorm. Slid down the side of the culvert(about a 45 degree angel, maybe steeper) on my butt with catch pole in hand. Slopped thru about 9" of water and finally caught the dog. The only way out is the way I came in, but hey guess what the dog is fighting me tooth and nail, I'm soaked all the way thru and my boots are slippery as owl poop. After several times of trying to get my butt up this incline I hear a voice from above, "hey ya need some help, I been watchin ya and ya don't seem to be getting up this incline to good". No s&%$ Sherlock.

So "Bubba" says hold on there, I got me a rope in my truck I'll pull ya up.
Well Bubba gets his rope, no telling what he had used it for and pulls me and the dog up. I finally get to the top and there are about 5 cars stopped watching this whole process. Needless to say I loaded the dog, thanked "Bubba" and got the heck out of there. Next day boss asks me what happened in the culvert, of course the whole time he's smirking, and than just busts out laughing. Not a good day, but I did have to laugh at myself.
Old 06-10-2010
Provisional Posting ACO

winchester78

rofl thanks!
Old 08-12-2010
Provisional Posting ACO

Sideshow is on a distinguished road
Default Not ACO related but, still a facepalm moment...

When I was working as a tech in a vet clinic, the receptionist and I had just opened shop and were waiting for our appointments to roll in. I had just finished walking and feeding the animals when our first patient, a small female cat getting declawed, walked in the door. I went up front, collected and weighed the cat and proceeded to take her in the back to wait in our kennel.

The clinic usually has a few dogs and cats that pretty much live there, including Dolly, a 6 yr old foxhound who has to be the sweetest and friendliest dog in existence and is allowed to roam the common areas. As I walked the cat back, I forgot Dolly was out and would greet any animal we brought through and without thinking, I wasn't holding the cat securely...just held her in my arms as I would my own cat.

As I closed the door, Dolly came up to say hello and, in that instant I knew I had screwed up royally. The cat tensed herself and, before I could get control, she lauched herself up, latched herself onto my neck and face and proceeded to climb my head like I was a jungle gym. I'm sure my screaming didn't help calm her down much either. Removing her was not unlike seperating velco.

Luckily, though I was bloodied, I managed to get her in the kennel and learned a valuable lesson. Unfortunately, I had a job interview later that afternoon for a PT position elsewhere and would have to explain why I looked like I tried to make out with a chainsaw.

Last edited by Sideshow; 08-12-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2010
Forum Friend

Location: From NYC then was cop in FLA moved to TX and love protecting animals
dogcop51 is on a distinguished road

OMG thats too funny
Thanks for sharing

Proverb 12:10a
A righteous man cares for the needs of his animals http://www.spcafctx.org