ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 04-07-2010
Field Operative

Laelaps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyrose View Post
So we moved out of state and changed our numbers...hopefully we dont hear about this again....
You probably shouldn't admit in a public forum that you're breaking the law. If you're lucky they might not want to sink the time and resources into tracking you down, but I know if it were my case I'd be checking DMV records until your license gets changed and any other resource I could find. Then if I was able to find that information I'd contact AC in the city you're in to make contact.

Also, I don't know the circumstances of your story and don't want to accuse you of anything, but I hope that if your dog hurt someone you don't allow it to happen again. Dangerous dog laws are there for a reason.
Old 04-07-2010
Almighty ACO

Caninelaw is on a distinguished road

I would hope if a dangerous dog moved into my jurisdiction that the jurisdiction it came from would be professional enough to advise me about it. I have, many times, advised other jurisdictions when one of our dangerous dogs moved into their area.
Old 04-08-2010
Almighty ACO

SixbyFire is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caninelaw View Post
I would hope if a dangerous dog moved into my jurisdiction that the jurisdiction it came from would be professional enough to advise me about it. I have, many times, advised other jurisdictions when one of our dangerous dogs moved into their area.
Straying a bit off topic, but we won't release a dangerous dog in our custody to anyone with plans to move it without checking with the jurisdiction it is going to first, just to make sure they'll take it there. A few months ago I tracked down an agency in Colorado who were quite surprised to hear that an agency from California would call, or even care, that a dangerous dog would be moving there. They accepted the relocation.

I just found out two weeks ago that a large agency near us does not do this at all, ever. The reason? They're not required to by law. What?! We're not required too either but it's a professional courtesy.

Jeff
Old 04-08-2010
Almighty ACO

kgill is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to kgill

Quote:

That can only work if the owner abides by the stipulations and tells the AC dept the new location that the dog is going to. The person in this forum is possibly admitting that they have broken that stipulation and therefore has absconded with the dog to another state. I hope for her sake the dog doesnt bite again (that would make it the 3rd time) ... and IF CACC can track this woman down, get her on harboring a dangerous dog and failing to comply....
some people are just too stupid for their own good.....

LOCK UP YOUR BEAGLE ---VICK'S AN EAGLE!!!

"In GOD we trust, all others we run through NCIC"
Old 04-08-2010
Administrator
Site AdminGiga-posting ACO

Mark Kumpf has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyrose View Post
So we moved out of state and changed our numbers...hopefully we dont hear about this again....
This happened to my jurisdiction in Jan 2001 when a Maryland commission ordered the dog out of state in contravention of their own laws and Virginias. After mauling a child, it ended up in my jurisdiction where we found it, seized it, and promptly euthanized it.

For Cindyrose, should your dog injure someone, you are now in the unenviable position of being in violation of a court order, crossed state lines in commission of contempt of court and potentially setting you and your family (not to mention someone elses) on the course for tragedy.

And as just small side note, changing your numbers and moving? Are you planning never to file taxes again, never use your credit cards, never get a bank loan, never send your children to school? Short of living in the woods a-la the "unabomber", if law enforcement wants to find you, it takes all of 15 minutes and the correct paperwork... Sleeping at night may be very hard for you....
Old 04-09-2010
Field Operative

hasbeenaco is on a distinguished road

To quote a wise man, "Just, wow..."
Old 04-18-2010
Almighty ACO

ChicagoACOSupervisor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoACOSupervisor Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoACOSupervisor

Quote:
Yep...and we do this as well!
Old 04-18-2010
Almighty ACO

ChicagoACOSupervisor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoACOSupervisor Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoACOSupervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kumpf View Post
This happened to my jurisdiction in Jan 2001 when a Maryland commission ordered the dog out of state in contravention of their own laws and Virginias. After mauling a child, it ended up in my jurisdiction where we found it, seized it, and promptly euthanized it.

For Cindyrose, should your dog injure someone, you are now in the unenviable position of being in violation of a court order, crossed state lines in commission of contempt of court and potentially setting you and your family (not to mention someone elses) on the course for tragedy.

And as just small side note, changing your numbers and moving? Are you planning never to file taxes again, never use your credit cards, never get a bank loan, never send your children to school? Short of living in the woods a-la the "unabomber", if law enforcement wants to find you, it takes all of 15 minutes and the correct paperwork... Sleeping at night may be very hard for you....
15 minutes?? Oh come on Mark, that is a major dis!!! Takes me 5 minutes...hehehe Seriously...you run, and I can and will find you. I do this on animal cruelty cases daily.

Our dangerous dog ordinance is considered a "civil" violation here in Chicago. We did not declare under Illinois law, which can only be done by the County AC administrator in circuit court (why they don't do this is shocking!) which has to be prosecuted in front of a judge by the States Attorney.

Anyone who has a dog declared dangerous under Chicago MCC has to inform us that they are moving, euthanizing the animal, selling it, giving it away, etc. They are REQUIRED to tell us this, or they are NOT in compliance.
Old 04-18-2010
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

We are required by state law to notify the jurisdiction where the dog is being moved to, but I have ran onto a couple of problems with this. The lesser is that a lot of cities have modified their dangerous dog ordinances to include attacks on other animals, but the state law only addresses attacks on people. If I find a dog dangerous for attacking another animal, and the owner moves to a jurisdiction that does not recognize attacks on animals, then they are really not obliged to follow up on it.

The more common issue is that people will move out into the county where there is no animal control. In the county where I live, animal control is handled by citizens with guns. Stray dogs are often simply shot and the sheriff’s office couldn’t care less. When I have called the sheriff to report a dangerous dog moving into their jurisdiction, they say “Thank you for calling” and usually don’t even take the information.