ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 07-23-2009

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

We call ours ASP or Baton, it bugs me they are called bite sticks as well, however, some dept. require they are called that so thier officers are allowed to carry them. I have used mine(26in ASP) to direct an animal out of a trap, to knock on a fence, hammer a nail, break a window, slip a leash off a fear biter, break a pit bull off another dog while kenneling, struck dogs in defense, to keep a owner from hitting me with a hammer, a huge visual deterence when you whip it out, to protect my rear last tuesday when I had four pit bulls fighting in the street and two of them were human aggressive as well...etc. I think it is a valuable tool all ACO's need
Old 07-23-2009
Field Operative

dishdog01 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee2630 View Post
Wow, here in Cali, a expandable baton is considered a deadly weapon. If you are carrying one of these without proper certification or authority to do so, it is a felony. It is a deadly weapon, if you hit a person in the head with it, it could kill them, a thrust to the sternum could as well. That is too bad, with ACO's all it takes is one to make HSUS release a report saying we shouldnt have them...like tasers and sexy shorts to wear in summer time...ha hah just kidding on that last one, just bringing humor to the table
<-------I said the same thing about the tranquilizer guns they are carrying and USING without policy/procedure. The tranq gun is by definition a FIREARM and I refused to carry mine even though I am state certified they are a deadly weapon.....no one listens to me.
Old 07-23-2009
Field Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_ACO_Troy View Post
Ok, from your point of view. You pull up control pole in hand. A dog approaches you and you get pole on it. Then suddenly another dog (or dogs) comes around the corner dead set on ripping into you...you no longer have the use of your control pole...what will you do? Well if carrying a bite stick you have a second tool at your disposal to defend yourself.

Every day I find new uses for it. Tripping traps, sliding animals and objects out of small spaces, breaking windows when animals are in a hot car or abandoned house, and so much more.

Its really a useful thing to have.
<-----a firearm would be a useful tool with multiple dogs-that would be about the only thing that would save your a$$ in such a situation. Again.....no one is listening.
Old 07-23-2009
Kennel Commander

downsouth is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdog01 View Post
<-----a firearm would be a useful tool with multiple dogs-that would be about the only thing that would save your a$$ in such a situation. Again.....no one is listening.
What type of firearm? Are you talking about a side arm, long gun or shotgun?
Old 07-23-2009
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
What type of firearm? Are you talking about a side arm, long gun or shotgun?
I strongly suspect he means a sidearm. To be of any use at all, the gun needs to be with you when the dogs attack. Rifles and shotguns are sort of bulky to carry around all the time, so a sidearm is the only practical choice. I have a really nice shotgun that they bought specifically for ACO use, it even has a shoulder strap, but it spends 364 days a year in a locker, and day per year at the range.
Old 07-24-2009

shawnee2630 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, you know its funny when it comes to sidearms, the five small cities (around 100,000 people) around us, the ACO's all are armed, some with glock 40, some with 357s. Those cities are all middle to upper class populations, basically they all moved from here to there when crack and gangs hit. Here we deal with much, much worse situations, people and animals, they don't get porolees, validated gang members, drug dealers or calls with 3,4,7 pit bulls at homes, running loose or attacking people like we do, yet because we are so heavy on public opinion we are not armed with sidearms. We do have a shotgun, but its like GTO said, you are not walking up to a home with a shotgun in hand, and if it is in your truck it might as well be in your locker...useless
Old 07-25-2009
Field Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbirdhse View Post
I think they are a valuable tool, altho it bugs me that they are called a bite stick.... They should be called an ASP or baton, which is really what they are, and officers should be REQUIRED to have training to carry them.

Not having training is ASKING for a lawsuit. And since officers are not EXEMPT from being held civilly responsible, if you use one without training and kill or injure a dog or person, you might be handing over the keys to your home... car... or maybe your future paychecks for who knows how long.

And, without proper training AND REGULAR PRACTICE, if you deploy one on the wrong person, you may have it taken away from you and get your butt handed to you.

Training, practice, skill, education... may it lead to a new PROFESSIONALISM for ACO's.
NEWS FLASH!!!!!!! Pretty much anything you do in your personal or professional life can lead to a civil suit. That big nice truck that you drive that weighs 5 tons, is in fact, according to most patently less offensive than a bullet from a gun. But is in fact as capable of killing anything/anyone you strike it with and is statistically ANY municpalities BIGGEST LIABILTY.