ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 03-20-2013
Probationary Trainee

Peacelover is on a distinguished road
Default Internship possiblities

Hi,

I've been looking into internships under an ACO for a couple months now and having some difficulties finding any information about one. I'm almost done with my undergraduate degree in sociology with a concentration in criminal justice and my goal is to get a career as an ACO or someone who researches animal cruelty. My last class though is my internship class, which I may be taking either this summer or in the fall depending on how soon I can find one, which I need to take to graduate. I am hoping to find an internship close to home but if I take the internship in the fall I am willing to travel. It will be a long internship, 300 hours, and it can be paid or unpaid (would enjoy a paid though more). If anyone has any idea where to look for an internship or any tips about how to get someone to accept my resume and cover letter.
Old 03-20-2013
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

What's your location?
Old 03-21-2013
Probationary Trainee

Peacelover is on a distinguished road

I live in the mid michigan area, Mt. Pleasant, Midland, or somewhere else close by. If I'm able to get financial aid in fall though I'm willing to go to other states.
Old 03-25-2013
Kennel Commander

halfacop is an unknown quantity at this point

Contact Senior ACO Gordy Douglas from Ionia County. He is my former Chief and until recently was on the board of the Animal Control Association of Michigan. If anyone can help you get squared away - Gordy can. He's an outstanding individual and the best boss I have we had....

He can be reached by calling the Ionia County Shelter at 616.527.9040 or perhaps by email at gdouglas@ioniacounty.org

If for some reason he is unable to help you directly or hook you up with someone who can, let me know. If your willing to spend 300 hours in Indianapolis - I could possibly set you up.