ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Kicking Back > Welcome Wagon

Old 11-21-2012
Probationary Trainee

loveahound56 is on a distinguished road
Default From Orlando to you!

Hey everyone!

I think I posted on here when I joined but that was a while ago and I never really got involved. Wanted to take the time to introduce myself and give a little background.

I'm an ASO in Orange County, Fl you know that area with the giant rat that nobody can seem to get rid of! I've been an officer for around 2+ years and have an extensive background in animal welfare as a technician and surgery tech for countless years prior.

I was actually looking to reach out and see if there are any officers in the northwest who could give a little insight into the cost of living comparison for the career especially in the Seattle, King county, and Washington area. Should be moving there within the next year or so and wanted to see how the job compares.

QUICK EDIT: was never able to gain access to the whole aco forum, I've requested to join the groups but no avail, anyone have any insight?

"there are no bad dogs, just bad owners"
Old 11-21-2012
Giga-posting ACO

aco30l13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to aco30l13

Pretty much everyone has moved over to a couple of different forums on Facebook now. If you are on facebook, PM me with your id and I will add you to the ones on Facebook and you will have a much better chance of getting an answer over there.
-American Indian Proverb

After dark all cats are leopards.
-American Indian Proverb,
Old 11-21-2012
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

acofred is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aco30l13 View Post
Pretty much everyone has moved over to a couple of different forums on Facebook now. If you are on facebook, PM me with your id and I will add you to the ones on Facebook and you will have a much better chance of getting an answer over there.
Yep, and once you are in the Facebook groups look up Bianca.

The moderators of this site are usually busy elsewhere and it sometimes takes quite a while to get full access to all the features.
Old 11-26-2012
Probationary Trainee

tabahrak is on a distinguished road

I'm an ACO in Seattle and I can tell you that the cost of living here is among the highest in the country. The pay scale is higher to match that in the city, but I don't think it totally makes up for it. Check out Sperling's Cost of Living Calculator below. You enter your current city and your current yearly salary, then enter the city you want to compare. It will tell you what you need to make to remain at the same standard of living. You'll see that the biggest expense here will be housing. It's ridiculous, really. I live outside of the city and it helps some, but then you have to contend with traffic.

As for job openings, keep your eyes peeled, but Seattle hasn't hired any new Field Officers since I started almost 3 years ago. King County has hired a few in that time frame.

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/
Old 12-01-2012
Kennel Commander

ErinKelleher is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ErinKelleher Send a message via Yahoo to ErinKelleher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabahrak View Post
I'm an ACO in Seattle and I can tell you that the cost of living here is among the highest in the country. The pay scale is higher to match that in the city, but I don't think it totally makes up for it. Check out Sperling's Cost of Living Calculator below. You enter your current city and your current yearly salary, then enter the city you want to compare. It will tell you what you need to make to remain at the same standard of living. You'll see that the biggest expense here will be housing. It's ridiculous, really. I live outside of the city and it helps some, but then you have to contend with traffic.

As for job openings, keep your eyes peeled, but Seattle hasn't hired any new Field Officers since I started almost 3 years ago. King County has hired a few in that time frame.

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/
Wow! I never knew there was calculator for that! I have always pondered about relocating, since Texas always seems to be hiring, and I like certain parts of that state, but never knew where the line was on that! That's awesome!

Side note: I'm perfectly happy at my current shelter. But sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have a real change of scenery :0)

Tags
orange county, orlando, photography, seattle, washington