ACOFunStop.Com Forums

Go Back   ACOFunStop.Com Forums > Talking Shop > Ask the ACO

Old 10-30-2008
ACOFunStop "Poster" Child

Learning To Fly is on a distinguished road

I am supposed to radio my location to dispatch any time I get out of my truck, and again when I am back in. However, like GTO, I will sometimes jump out to pick up a dead without announcing it (I can have it scooped and bagged in less time than it would take me to explain it to dispatch.) We use very minimal 10-codes, having gone to plain speak a few years back. Our dispatchers work out of a regional dispatch center, and they are pretty darn good-if I am out on something they will hold my new calls for service (except emergencies) until I am finished with the current one, rather than risk me losing a dog or getting dead critter smudge on my radio trying to respond to them. Once when I was not able to answer a status check immediately (my truck radio mic decided to retire early) I had several officers asking my last location and start heading my direction until I was able to let them know I was okay.

My mother has a scanner on pretty much all the time (required by her job) and she once heard radio traffic about a nasty car wreck where the responding officer announced that one person was 10-40 and the other person was still alive...yea, I'm sure no one in scannerland was able to figure that one out!

Not to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission - to be of service to them whenever they require it.
St Francis of Assisi

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Old 10-30-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Some handy paramedical-type ones:

fx = fracture (broken bone, skin still intact at break)
cfx = compound fracture (broken bone, skin broken)
ccfx = comminated fracture (multiple breaks in a single bone)
TBI = traumatic brain injury (for example, concussions)
SBR = smooshed beyond repair
CBC = caught by cat
CBD = caught by dog
RW, LW = right wing, left wing
RF, LF = right foreleg, left foreleg
RH, LH = right hindleg, left hindleg

Types of injections/fluids given:

SubQ or S/Q = subcutaneous (into layer beneath skin)
IV = intravenous (directly into bloodstream)
IP = intraperitoneal (into abdominal cavity)
IC = intracardiac (directly into heart)

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 10-30-2008
Giga-posting ACO

Getting too old is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learning To Fly View Post
if I am out on something they will hold my new calls for service (except emergencies) until I am finished with the current one, rather than risk me losing a dog or getting dead critter smudge on my radio trying to respond to them.
That brings back (other than) fond memories. We had one dispatcher and one trainee who were really bad about calling me multiple times when Im 10 6 (busy) on a call. One day the trainee called me, while I was chasing a dog in heavy traffic on a major roadway, to give me another call. I was already stressed trying to keep me and the dog from getting run over without causing an accident in the process, and I responded back with Im a half mile from my truck chasing a dog in the middle of the highway. Could you hold my calls until I clear from this one? That pretty well put an end to that practice.

You know it is time to change jobs when youre parking you personally owned vehicle (POV), and you reach for the mic to check out with your location.

Speaking of 10 codes, I had an officer one report a 10-7 (out of service) cat in the roadway.
Old 10-30-2008
Giga-posting ACO

stmelangell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to stmelangell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post
You know it is time to change jobs when youre parking you personally owned vehicle (POV), and you reach for the mic to check out with your location.
OMG I've done that. Not lately, and not often, but

It's not what we have in our life, but who we have in our life that counts. (J.M. Lawrence)
Old 10-31-2008
Giga-posting ACO

DRNEGRIN6 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DRNEGRIN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getting too old View Post

The problems are #1, they do status check on the police every few minutes, but not on me. I could be HBC, shot, mauled etc., and I could be there for hours before they started looking for me. And #2, they don?t always put it in the computer when I check out. I went to an abandon animal call that erupted into a domestic disturbance, and when I called for backup, I had to give them the location all over again. Probably not an easy thing to do if you?re lying in a road ditch, or have a very large and aggressive dog attached to your arm.

This reminded me of when I was in vet. school. We are required to do ambulatory work where we basically do farm calls. Most of the time, we are alone (just the student and the vet. on call). I was out on the call with a 6 ft. very large Texan vet. I'm only 5 ft. tall and very thin for my size (under 100 lbs.). We were out on a call when a cow kicked the vet. and he went down hard. I could not get him out of the field since he could not climb over with his injuries. I was able to get to the truck and call for help on the CB but the problem was that I did not know our location since we covered several towns. Luckily, I knew the truck handle (I.D. for each vet.) and gave his information. The school dispatcher knew our location because we have to call in and out and help was on the way within a 10 minutes. This may be a good protocol to follow but as others have said, it is very annoying if the calls come in too frequently.